JUST FOR TODAY -- One Day at a Time .... Daily commitment thread for 2019

Replies

• clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Checking in from Monday
    1. Post discussion 1. Walk to 4k.
    2. Grade Socratic discussions for sophomores. Enter grades.
    3. Comment on 2 blogs. Type key for one Burke article on the drive home.
    4. Plan out projects for week 1-2.
    5. Choose recipes. Update grocery list.
    6. Drink more water. No, more. Keep the pitcher in the fridge full. You're not actually hungry. Make some tea. Drink more water!
    7. Strength 4:30. Zumba 5:30. Lang8 journal entry.
    8. Therapy exercises. Prep cheese. Chop celery. Gratitude journal. Meds. Floss, rinse, brush teeth. In bed by 8:45; devices off by 9:00.

JFT Tuesday
    1. Therapy exercises. Feed cats. Tea!
    2. Grade homework assignments and enter grades. Grocery shopping.
    3. Take book to library and pick up hold. Yoga 11:00. Run to 5k steps.
    4. Prep and portion chicken. Prep cheese. Chop celery.
    5. Drink more water. No, more. Keep the pitcher in the fridge full. You're not actually hungry. Make some tea. Drink more water!
    6. Check on hotels for the drive down to Port Canaveral.
    7. Zumba 5:30. Comment on 2 blogs. Type key for one Burke article.
    8. Gratitude journal. Read 10 pages of Capital.
    9. Therapy exercises. Prep Wed lunch. Meds. Floss, rinse, brush teeth. In bed by 8:45; devices off by 9:00; alarm set for 5:50.

JFT Wednesday
    1. Therapy exercises. Feed cats. Tea! Log 1 item. Update JFT by 7:00. Warm car. Pack tea!
    2. Before school: Update class websites for Thursday. Review lesson plans.
    3. Meeting. Take notes. Grade homeworks and enter grades.
    4. After lunch: Review Week 7-8 plans / Unit 3 plans and PRINT. Enter freshman essays.
    5. Find and print sample essays. Create improvement essays for practice.
    6. Review assessments. What is the purpose for each unit? What should the controlling ideas be in a study of world literature? Review world lit options. Drink more water. No, more. Keep the pitcher in the fridge full. You're not actually hungry. Make some tea. Drink more water!
    7. Strength class 4:30.
    8. Gratitude journal. Update Goodreads Friday. Blog post.
    9. Therapy exercises. Prep Thu lunch. Chop celery. Meds. Floss, rinse, brush teeth. In bed by 8:45; devices off by 9:00; alarm set for 5:50. Update Goodreads Friday.

Scale goals
    End of 2017: 174.6
    End of 2018: 189.2
    January 2019: 186.0
    Today: 190.2

Ongoing plans/ideas behind the cut
    1. Purchases: Go to Mac store and see if they can retrieve the files off the iMac. Look for an "ugly Christmas sweater" and a long-haired doll at thrift stores. Practice French braiding. Go to used bookstore and look for Design for How People Learn (Julie Dirksen), On Writing (Stephen King), Dying for a Paycheck (Robin Hardman), The Prince (tr. Tim Parks, Russell Price, or Robert Adams).
    2. E2: What should the controlling ideas be in a study of world literature? Review world lit options. Create vocabulary lists for each unit that come from the texts used: Animal Farm, Julius Caesar, Wes Moore, I Am Malala. Find a way to incorporate changing words from one part of speech to another. Students need to know how to review multiple sources and synthesize information in order to draw a conclusion. Need practice with the difference between transitions and overlapping (at end of paragraph - "another issue is Y" vs "there are other issues besides X"). Quit using "in conclusion" and "I believe" and other writing-about-my-writing phrases. Confusion between direct/indirect objects and prepositional phrases. Use the UDHR and the Declaration of Independence to study paraphrasing; use that to front-load Machiavelli and how to deal with challenging texts. Confusion between everyday / every day and similar constructions.
    3. E1: Need practice with quoting & paraphrasing sources, identifying claims that would need support, use of last names for reference, and capitalization practice (common/proper nouns, titles). Difficulty using possessive nouns in their own writing. Honors: practice subject/object pronouns (my friend and I / my friend and me).
    4. Curriculum Development: Writing mini-unit. Review scholarly research on 5PE. (I think I can have this as an intro to the research unit so that they also get exposure to how quotes are integrated and cited.) Parallel structure; use of emotional language, specific detail. Use "Write About a Pebble" lesson from Atwell. How long should each unit take? Do research on characteristics: curiosity, persistence, resilience, creativity, responsibility, optimism, courage, integrity, authenticity, leadership, self-awareness, humility, compassion - others? Include grammarly check on essays!
    5. Professional Development: Write blog post weekly. Comment on 3 posts each week -Tu Th Sun? Check with PSC. Talk with Z about articles and/or conference proposals.
    6. Medical: Dentist? Also Feb 7 9:30 w Ac Int. Feb 7 12:00 w new. Sub already set up. Apr 22 McC. Need sub. Call to set up checkups with Dass (October). GET MAGAZINES FOR COLLAGES FROM DOCTORS.
    7. Theater: Audition for FTN (Feb?) Audition for Avenue Q March. Audition for Christie March. Audition for Mamma Mia ??? Need sub for May 2, opening day.
    8. House: Mineral oil on tile spots. Check with D about ceiling.

Well, I'm WAY up on the scale. Hoping it'll drop quickly - I doubt I actually gained five pounds in three days. But we were staying with friends and I didn't weigh-and-log everything and UGH, food is so good. :P
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,361 Member
    JFT: Consistency
    Restarting today - I overslept and couldn't make it to swimming so instead of pivoting to the gym, stayed home reading and eating. Then at the very last minute, got off to work (and was late).
    Positive self talk, prep work Today, I want to feel proud of myself.
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,311 Member

Well, I'm WAY up on the scale. Hoping it'll drop quickly - I doubt I actually gained five pounds in three days. But we were staying with friends and I didn't weigh-and-log everything and UGH, food is so good. :P

I’m in damage control mode after my weekend. The goal is simply to break even this week.
  • HEGoddard0928
    HEGoddard0928 Posts: 824 Member
    I just now went on break. It's 3pm... Holy Crow! We were busy and then M took her break. Plus the training ran almost an hour longer that it should have. But at least now we only have 2 hours left. And I'm pretty certain I'm going to go to the gym. I have my clothes in the car. I know that I am going to have to do things that I don't want to. So I may as well start now, right? I even remembered to bring my wireless headphones and I'm going to charge my phone when I get back to my desk. I am so ready for today to be over. I just want to get out of here. Apparently it's a full moon which is why am the crazies are coming out and we've been busy for a Monday. Lol.

Okay enough whining!

Have a great day everyone!!
  • ZizzyBumble
    ZizzyBumble Posts: 1,679 Member
    Tuesday 19 February

Log accurately :)
    Stay in the green :)
    5 fruit and veg :)
    Fitbit excercise goals :) Just!
    Walk before work :)
    January challenge :)
    February challenge :)

• cschmitz110515
    cschmitz110515 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Cschmitz110515- I have one of those husbands that thought cooking, cleaning and child rearing are all women’s work. He’s never really picked any of it up. My daughters tell me I spoil him. Last week I had to agree with them, he was being a model for Kaitlyn and I texted him and told him to grab himself burgers on the way home. He asked me why first, and then he texted me and asked me what he eats from A&W !!!! I was shocked, how do you not know what you eat! I’m always the one to get it though, that’s how.

I actually blame my late MIL for never teaching her sons how to cook or, apparently, ever thinking that was necessary. That's just how hubby was raised, because she ALWAYS did the cooking. I was raised differently, and my dad and all three of my brothers cook ~ one even loves to bake. Dad is a better cook than mom, and she knows it. Hubby offers to help in the kitchen sometimes, and sometimes I just ask. On the bright side, hubby does clean! Good, because I have a full-time job and other stuff to do. Maybe he doesn't clean as often or exactly the way I would, but he does it. To be honest, we share a lot of household duties. We married in our forties and don't have any kids, so that issue never came up.
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,191 Member
    I have been a terrible friend the last month or two. I'm so sorry ladies! I don't know what's gotten into me!

I know what my problem is. I've always known. I have zero discipline. None. Nada. Absolutely zilch! The only thing I've ever really had discipline about in my life is when I quit smoking and that I go to work every day without calling out. THAT'S IT!!! Hell, I don't even have the discipline to come on here every day anymore.
    I hate this! I need some sort of a plan. Does anyone have any ideas? Please help.

Also, sorry for the rambling post of utter woe. Thank you for listening. I guess I'm just in a bad place right now.

!

You are certainly not alone in this. I am the exact way ... I could have written these same words myself. (And I am the one that started this thread ... and I can't get myself to get on either!!). I wish I could tell you what to do ... because I am also in a bad place. My weight is over 200 again ... I am up almost 14 pounds from last December. The only thing I do right is go to the gym ... but I think that is more for some socializing. I think for me, it is personal problems, plus the long, gloomy winter we have been having. I think for a lot of people, this winter has been brutal.
    So lets make a pact .. (And @Bex ... you are included on this, because you said you are also struggling). How about if we can't get on everyday, at least make it once a week. Every Sunday, no matter what, we have to report our weight, and how we did during the week. Would that help you? It would not be so time-consuming, and maybe we could all keep going because at least once a week we have to report in ... you know ... like a weigh-in meeting?
    I am also open to any suggestions. I used "discipline" as my word for the year, and not even that is helping me.

But, what we have to think about is how we want to feel when spring and summer do get here. How great we can feel if we stay on track. Remember, losing weight is 90% what we eat. My hubby reminds me of this all the time! I go to the gym 4-5x a week, and it is not helping because I still eat way too much.
    But hang in there. We are here for you whenever you can get on and let us know how you are doing!
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Cschmitz110515- I have one of those husbands that thought cooking, cleaning and child rearing are all women’s work. He’s never really picked any of it up. My daughters tell me I spoil him. Last week I had to agree with them, he was being a model for Kaitlyn and I texted him and told him to grab himself burgers on the way home. He asked me why first, and then he texted me and asked me what he eats from A&W !!!! I was shocked, how do you not know what you eat! I’m always the one to get it though, that’s how.

I actually blame my late MIL for never teaching her sons how to cook or, apparently, ever thinking that was necessary. That's just how hubby was raised, because she ALWAYS did the cooking. I was raised differently, and my dad and all three of my brothers cook ~ one even loves to bake. Dad is a better cook than mom, and she knows it. Hubby offers to help in the kitchen sometimes, and sometimes I just ask. On the bright side, hubby does clean! Good, because I have a full-time job and other stuff to do. Maybe he doesn't clean as often or exactly the way I would, but he does it. To be honest, we share a lot of household duties. We married in our forties and don't have any kids, so that issue never came up.

OTOH, you might count your blessings. Mine is a great cook, but now he's decided he needs to learn to BAKE.

*weeping* He's so good at it...
  • HEGoddard0928

OTOH, you might count your blessings. Mine is a great cook, but now he's decided he needs to learn to BAKE.

*weeping* He's so good at it...

And see... My husband burns pots boiling water. Lol.
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    @Snowflake1968 thank you! 😊
  • HEGoddard0928
    edited February 2019

1. Work 815-515(don't forget training) 😁 Got to talk to a cool guy who is really excited to bring his business to us. I did a really good job I think. That made me feel good about myself!
    2. Go to the library on lunch re: application😣 Tomorrow!! I must do this tomorrow!!
    3. Drink 3 waters at work😁 I think I ended the day with 5 total! Go me!
    4. Make Sesame Honey Chicken for dinner(PULL OUT CHICKEN BREASTS!!)😁 Was yummy. Made too much sauce and had to drain some off but that didn't matter. The chicken was super juicy! I'm a pretty damn good cook!
    5. DISHES!!!! 😣 ONE DAY I WILL GET THE HANG OF THIS!! I will do this in the morning!
    6. Bed by 10:30😁An hour earlier probably. Early to bed early to rise right? Lol

Well this is annoying. I copied a section of my previous post that got deleted when my phone freaked out and now I can't paste it! Blah! Oh well. I don't feel like repeating myself. Lol

I'm going to bed and hoping that will help me get up at 6 tomorrow. On to my list for tomorrow!

JFT 02-20-19

1. Log all food
    2. Work 815-4
    3. LIBRARY!! Call even. Just do something!!
    4. Gym after work (or possibly before. Depends on what time I wake up)
    5. Bring lunch to work
    6. Don't use having a night to myself as a reason to get take out. Make something simple.
    7. Update resume
    8. Finish A's book
    9. DISHES!!! Go to bed WITHOUT A SINGLE DISH IN THE SINK!!!
    10. Bed by 10:30...11 at the latest.

Okay! Have a great day!!
  • ghsimon1
    ghsimon1 Posts: 12 Member
    Thanks nimackey98
  • ghsimon1
    ghsimon1 Posts: 12 Member
    Day 2
    Today I walked on an incline treadmill
    And burned 325 calories
    Maintain calorie count with in 1200 calories
    Drank 4 glasses of water
    Goals for Day 3
    Walk early in the morning
    Drink 5 water
    Stay within calorie count of 1200
    Mail gift off
    Call contact to help a friend out
    I have insomnia. I take medication but I am a late night Owl. So I am trying to set a goal of getting to bed earlier. With that said, I am going to bed 15minutes earlier until I can get my self to bed for 9:30
    Thanks
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,730 Member
    @HEGoddard0928 - I used to hate doing dishes too. One trick I learned was to put hot soapy water in what I had used to cook with while I ate. I also filled the sink with whatever cups and silverware was waiting to be washed. Then as soon as supper was done it was a quick task.

@ghsimon1 - I used to be a night owl and suffer from insomnia too. Once I got myself on a schedule things seemed to have straightened out. Good luck
  • maryrobinson40
    maryrobinson40 Posts: 1,109 Member
    JFT MONDAY
    CHURCH CONFERENCE CALL
    LIGHT EXERCISES TODAY.

JFT TUESDAY
    WAKE AT 6...PRAYER/SCRIPTURE READING 👍😀
    FRESHEN UP AND GET DRESSED 👍😀
    6:45 WAKE UP GIRLS ... Got one sick from last night through this morning... 👍
    7:50 OUT THE DOOR TO THE BUS STOP ... Mother of the children dealing with them.
    8:25 BACK HOME TO LEAVE ... GAS THE CAR, ... Plans changed. 😃
    9-9:15 PICK UP MIDDLE DAUGHTER
    DRIVE TO Charlotte to pick up Babygirl and have her at her appointment by 10
    Don't know what else after that... Will report tomorrow night.
    Spent the day getting in and out of the car. I was close to 2,000 steps this morning, but my Fitbit died
    and I don't know what I ended up with. I didn't get home until after 9 tonight.
    I am tired. Hallelujah! New day tomorrow.
    Good night People 😴😴
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Morning all. Finally a good day yesterday. Took me a while to get myself into gear to work out but then my daughter joined me for the last 20 minutes or so and it was quite fun so actually worked out well that I didn’t get it done before she woke up!

Also, while wasting time in the morning I saw something online about a hack where you can clean your oven really easily with just a dishwasher tablet. My dishwasher is still broken (can’t afford to replace) but I have lots of tablets in the cupboard and I was intrigued....didn’t work! But then I got really stubborn so spent a lot of the day scrubbing it, trying various products, unscrewed the glass panels from the door etc! It is now pristine and I actually logged the activity which I never normally do with cleaning because it was exhausting!

Tuesday goals recap:
    - morning workout ✅
    - Water! ✅
    - Put away laundry ✅
    - Take youngest to cafe for early lunch and homework ✅
    - Pick up older daughter from sleepover ✅
    - Afternoon activity with the girls ✅
    - Hot yoga ❎ too busy cleaning the oven! 🤣
    - Early night ✅

Wednesday goals:
    - morning workout
    - Water!
    - Take kids to parents place (check laptop bag at store on the way?)
    - Online grocery shopping
    - Buy bday card for P
    - Check in with bf
    - Find a good book for train journey on Thursday

Have a lovely day everyone x
  • bookmeister86
    bookmeister86 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Not a good day yesterday. I did ok food wise but finished work very late and therefore didn't have time to do any of the things I needed to do in the evening. And then went to bed late and didn't sleep easily. So today am tired, and grumpy, and already had one argument with the boyfriend when it's not even 7.30.

But, today is a new day and, ooh, I can actually see the sun rise from the window of the train. Hello sun! And this weekend I'm going to see my mum. :smile:

Yesterday's commitments:

- Log everything I eat :smile:
    - Stick to food plan :smile:
    - Be in the green :smile:
    - 4 bottles water :/ About three I think
    - No alcohol :/ I had one gin after finishing work/job application work at 10. It felt like the quickest way to get relaxed before bed. Helped a bit, not as much as I'd have liked though
    - Exercise DVD :smile:

- No eating whilst standing :smile:
    - Savour every bite :/
    - Monitor fullness after each meal :/
    - Differentiate between hunger, desire and craving :neutral: Didn't really come up
    - Give myself credit! :/ Forgot to do this

- 30+ minute lunch break :smile:
    - Meditate :/ Didn't find time for this
    - Stay positive :/ No, I was very grumpy as I had to read a 170 page presentation from a supplier which was really rubbish. I got grumpier and grumpier the longer I read it!
    - Pack for wedding weekend :/ Didn't manage after finishing work/ application stuff at ten
    - Job application :smile: After finishing work at 9.15 and then having to eat dinner I didn't manage to FINISH it, but I modified my CV and checked out the application process so I know what I still have to do (a cover letter, bah - I hate those). I can finish the application by the deadline
    - Gratitude journal :smile:
    - Lights off by 11 :/ Needed to watch tv/read for a while to relax - was maybe around 11.30 or perhaps a tad later

Today's commitments:

- Log everything I eat
    - Stick to food plan
    - Be in the green
    - 3+ bottles water
    - No alcohol

- No eating whilst standing
    - Savour every bite
    - Monitor fullness after each meal
    - Differentiate between hunger, desire and craving
    - Give myself credit!

- 30+ minute lunch break
    - Meditate
    - Stay positive
    - Leave work at 5.30pm
    - Gratitude journal
    - Lights off by 11

Weekly calorie balance: 1236 in red (I did actually reduce my surplus yesterday but I'd forgotten I had a hot chocolate during the train delays)

Words for 2019: Mindful Moderation
  • ZizzyBumble
    ZizzyBumble Posts: 1,679 Member
    Wednesday 20 February

Log accurately
    Stay in the green
    5 fruit and veg
    Fitbit excercise goals
    Walk before work
    January challenge
    February challenge
  • bookmeister86
    bookmeister86 Posts: 1,165 Member
    I have been a terrible friend the last month or two. I'm so sorry ladies! I don't know what's gotten into me! I used to be such a faithful follower/poster. It seems like my whole schedule is out of whack. I think it has to do with the fact that my eating has been so poor. I'm almost back up to the weight I was when I started this journey! I can't believe it! I'm pretty depressed about it. I really need to figure out how to change this. I was going to go to the gym yesterday but realized I haven't paid this month's membership because we've been so tight on money. I can probably pay it today after I make a deposit but it kind of killed my day yesterday. I took a four-hour nap because I took my meds in the morning instead of the night before. Because I forgot to pick them up from the pharmacy. And by the time I remembered it was well after 9pm. So I took them yesterday morning and then slept most of the afternoon because of it. Since I slept so much yesterday. I woke up at 4:30 this morning! I have a friend who lives in a different time zone who was still awake so we chatted for a while. Matt got up at 5:30 for work. I still have about 45 minutes before I have to get ready for work so here I am.

I need to figure out how to set a schedule. When I was unemployed last year it was so much easier to have a schedule. I know that sounds insane but because I had all the time in the world I had set times to do set things and I could spend time on MFP a lot more. I had more control over what I ate and when I could go to the gym. I didn't spend 9 hours a day sitting down and I wasn't so tired by the end of the day that I didn't want to go to the gym. I was cooking regularly instead of relying on takeout and I was following our budget instead of flying by the seat of my pants and getting in trouble.

I know what my problem is. I've always known. I have zero discipline. None. Nada. Absolutely zilch! The only thing I've ever really had discipline about in my life is when I quit smoking and that I go to work every day without calling out. THAT'S IT!!! Hell, I don't even have the discipline to come on here every day anymore. If I wanted to risk coming on at work I could do it then but I'm afraid to do that in case someone in the back office checks the computers. Does this count as social media? I know it's not facebook or twitter, but I still want to be careful. And we're not allowed to be on our phones all the time anymore. So I don't have much time to check anymore. And I don't really have time to write out a post at work in my email either. The last time I did that LM mentioned that that probably wasn't a good idea. So now I really don't have any time unless I do it before bed and then I forget what my goals are. And I never wake up in time or stay awake to do it in the morning!

I hate this! I need some sort of a plan. Does anyone have any ideas? Please help.

Also, sorry for the rambling post of utter woe. Thank you for listening. I guess I'm just in a bad place right now.

Okay onto some easy goals I hope to attain today.

1. Work 815-515(don't forget training)
    2. Go to the library on lunch re: application
    3. Drink 3 waters at work
    4. Make Sesame Honey Chicken for dinner(PULL OUT CHICKEN BREASTS!!)
    5. DISHES!!!!
    6. Bed by 10:30

Okay, I think that is it. Thanks again, ladies!

Had a bit of time this morning so here are some thoughts for you - hope some are helpful!

- It sounds like forgetting to pick your meds up put you out of sync somewhat. Can you use your phone reminder function to help with things like this? For me phone reminders are a lifeline, without them I would forget everything!

- I can totally relate to being overwhelmed and struggling to fit things around work. For me what's easier is having a routine where I do things at certain times. That way I'm less likely to forget but also more likely to 'just do' the thing rather than fight myself about whether to do it now or another time. It's like cleaning teeth - if we had to decide whether or not to do it, and when to do it, it would be a lot more of a struggle and a lot of the time we might not bother. But, instead we do it at regular times and therefore we just do it without thinking about it. I do the same thing with exercise, where I have a fixed time/day where I do it, and I also have a fixed time of day where I post here (morning commute) and meditate (lunchtime). What regular habits can you build in to make it easier to 'just do' things? My advice is to take one thing at once, and get each thing habitual before moving onto the next one. (I know it's hard to take things slow when you're keen to make change - I struggle with patience myself!)

- Cooking. Yep, that's a massive faff when one is tired after work. Totally get that.
    I concur with Faebert about making large portions and freezing some to heat up. We tend to also make double portions of food on Sat and Sun (when we have more energy) and then eat the second portion on Mon and Tue. We then often have easy things like fish fingers on other nights. I am also a big fan of tortellini, which takes literally five minutes in boiling water. I boil that with frozen peas, heat up tomato sauce at same time and then voila! food with two fruit/veg with minimal effort!

I hope this helps a little. The key thing though is, don't beat yourself up. You have been through a lot lately and it's not surprising that you're struggling. Lots of us are feeling similarly - I know I am! You've managed to lose weight in the past, so you can do it again.

I think maybe you just need to believe in yourself a little? Remember what you've achieved previously (e.g. quitting smoking, losing weight the first time). And don't push yourself too hard - start small, get the hang of one habit at a time, and this will build your confidence to take on more.

Good luck and hugs x
  • 13ecca4
    13ecca4 Posts: 202 Member
    edited February 2019

JFT - Tuesday
    Log all my food on MFP and stay under my calorie goal. ✅
    15,000 steps Didn't manage this as I had awful wisdom tooth pain. My mum did my horse for me and partner walked the dog while I had an early night. Only did 8000
    Veg for lunch and tea ✅
    Drink 2 bottles of water ✅

JFT - Wednesday
    Log all my food on MFP and stay under my calorie goal
    15,000 steps
    Veg for lunch and tea
    Drink 2 bottles of water
    Give it my best at my PT session