Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is anyone confused?

Options

Replies

• jasonpoihegatama
    jasonpoihegatama Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Seems to me that this, like many other online bayoneting of strawmen discussions, all revolves around what science is.

Science is not a religious tradition. It is something quite apart from that - it is a word for a system of investigation into how the world around us works and the results of those investigations.

There are tens of thousands of incredible athletes who all attribute their success to hard work + doing something unusual. Just asking any one of the athletes at the top will not help you that much, and that's where investigating it properly comes into play, by asking as many as possible, and using maths to determine what is a coincidence and what is statistically significant.

P.S. It is my personal observation that if there is a sport you care about doing well in, don't depend on asking the best player for advice. The reason the person is doing so well is genetic good luck, youth, dedication to training, and good coaching, and s/he has no idea on how to guide you into improving your own shoddy technique.

Ask his or her trainer.

That's a fair opinion. Thanks for sharing. I would ask the athlete and be very interested in their journey from start to finish. There is probably a lot of good information to be learned there. Thanks again.

I won an annual tournament once. I know the people who won in the years before me and the years before me, and asking any individual one of us about our journey from start to finish would get you completely different answers.

So, who will get you where you want? Asking winner 2015, winner 2016, winner 2017 or winner 2018?

If you don't mind me asking what tournament did you win for which country????
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    Seems to me that this, like many other online bayoneting of strawmen discussions, all revolves around what science is.

Science is not a religious tradition. It is something quite apart from that - it is a word for a system of investigation into how the world around us works and the results of those investigations.

There are tens of thousands of incredible athletes who all attribute their success to hard work + doing something unusual. Just asking any one of the athletes at the top will not help you that much, and that's where investigating it properly comes into play, by asking as many as possible, and using maths to determine what is a coincidence and what is statistically significant.

P.S. It is my personal observation that if there is a sport you care about doing well in, don't depend on asking the best player for advice. The reason the person is doing so well is genetic good luck, youth, dedication to training, and good coaching, and s/he has no idea on how to guide you into improving your own shoddy technique.

Ask his or her trainer.

That's a fair opinion. Thanks for sharing. I would ask the athlete and be very interested in their journey from start to finish. There is probably a lot of good information to be learned there. Thanks again.

I won an annual tournament once. I know the people who won in the years before me and the years before me, and asking any individual one of us about our journey from start to finish would get you completely different answers.

So, who will get you where you want? Asking winner 2015, winner 2016, winner 2017 or winner 2018?

Ha. Not country level. Local one. I'm not comfortable with giving out what town I live in on the internet, sorry.

• jasonpoihegatama
    Options

Ask his or her trainer.

Ha. Not country level. Local one. I'm not comfortable with giving out what town I live in on the internet, sorry.

How about sport?
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options

Ask his or her trainer.

How about sport?
    Martial arts.
  • jasonpoihegatama
    Options

Ask his or her trainer.

How about sport?
    Martial arts.

Ok thanks!
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I wondered, does the "this is kind of true for me, and this is kind of true for science" apply to other things beyond nutrition, maybe even beyond biology?
    Like, can it be kind of true for me that the diversity of species is explained by a magic unicorn that taps its horn to force snakes to turn into rabbits when rabbits have never existed, but also kind of true that evolution explains biodiversity for science?
    Can it be true for me that stars are really just fireflies that have flown really high, but also true for science that they are the result of accumulated hydrogen, helium, and other trace elements that collapse under gravity with enough pressure and heat to cause fusion into higher elements?
  • FitFamilyGuy
    FitFamilyGuy Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I wondered, does the "this is kind of true for me, and this is kind of true for science" apply to other things beyond nutrition, maybe even beyond biology?
    Like, can it be kind of true for me that the diversity of species is explained by a magic unicorn that taps its horn to force snakes to turn into rabbits when rabbits have never existed, but also kind of true that evolution explains biodiversity for science?
    Can it be true for me that stars are really just fireflies that have flown really high, but also true for science that they are the result of accumulated hydrogen, helium, and other trace elements that collapse under gravity with enough pressure and heat to cause fusion into higher elements?

No, "true for me" over science is not good way to look at things. I agree with your stance that proven facts are proven facts. But, "true for me" and "true for you" and "true for someone doing well" can be a great way to learn and reach a goal. I don't need a science experiment to tell me how a fire should happen but I can watch someone make a fire, learn from it and do it myself. I do see your point but we are just not aligning on some finer points. :)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    The "we" in this thread will be quick to list off all of the reasons why real world results form individuals is a problem so I don't need to do that here. They exist. I get it. There are problems learning from one guys results.

These reasons have been outlined multiple times for you and yet you continue to propose that it is optimal to get our information from these individuals.

Can you list off any of these reasons?

Now, forget about "fit guy". What about a bodybuilder? Can't we look at what a bodybuilder generally does, recognize that they are pretty darn good at building muscle and burning fat and learn from that? You don't have to want to be a bodybuilder to learn from the principles and apply some or all of them to replicate some results. You can also talk to one bodybuilder to find out what he does and then learn from that.

Following your answer to the above, can you apply all those reasons to why “we” really don’t hold value on this as a research method?

Perhaps this is the issue.

You possibly feel that I am trying to provide a new way to do science. I don't think that at all.

I believe in taking a balanced approach to learning for an individual like me or someone else. I am talking about learning on an individual level and finding a way to cut through the noise and confusion. As said many times part of that is learning from others and science.

What does it mean to "learn on an individual level"?

One of the reasons why I think you're getting pushback is that what you're advising -- at least to my reading -- seems to be so vague.

Of course my friend. Some specifics are not allowed. I can't condense my theories onto a paragraph because there is often too much to cover and often I would be accused of self promotion, I'd be censored and banned. This post is more about a general philosophies. I mentioned this before, as open as a forum is, there are governing bodies that limit and control how the information flows. I get why this happens but it is still a reality. I do sometimes wonder how many times I answer to an actual user versus a moderators account. That is part of life online. :)

Why would you be accused of self-promotion?

I could tell you exact details about my plan and never be accused of self-promotion because I have nothing to promote. Are you telling me that your advice is reliant on purchasing something from you or following you on another social media site? If so, I think we're quite right to be skeptical because people who are telling you that they've found THE WAY for weight management/fitness and they're willing to tell you if you only pay this/follow this . . . well, they're not exactly great sources usually.

(You can tell when you're responding to an actual user because moderators have it noted under their user name).