Let's Do this! - 2019 Challenge - Be the best you can be!

Options

Replies

• kimmie373
    kimmie373 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    It’s been awhile since I have checked in here. The flu hit me pretty hard. Still going to chemo 2X every 2weeks, a never ending constant in my life. I lost 5 pounds while sick but gained 4 back in a week. I wasn’t trying at all to watch what I eat and I hadn’t been exercising. I think I have the strength again to get moving and work on eating habits again. My goal this week is to close all my activity rings on my Apple Watch for a week. I really want the reward badge for that. My husband is concerned I will overdo it. I think he needs to get healthy and start working out. He is taking me to Hawaii in April. I want to be more fit and lose 10 pounds by the time the trip is here. Glad to see everyone is still working hard on their goals. Cheers for everyone!
  • loonyhiker
    loonyhiker Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Welcome back @kimmie373! I commend you for wanted to get back to being active but I hope you don't try to go from zero to 100% all at once. This could lead to injuries and pain. Maybe you can gradually increase your activity times rather than try to close the rings all at once. I give myself one day off to let my muscles and body recuperate from exercising the other days. Maybe you can inspire your husband to join you if you tell him it would help you if you do it gradually together (but don't let him know that he is actually going to benefit from it too! LOL).
  • msarobix
    msarobix Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I had all my knitting friends over for Knit Club today. I use to hold knit club every month, but last year when work was so crazy I completely stopped having club. It was so nice to get everyone together again for a visit.

Because I knew I was having everyone here for most of the day today I wanted to get my workout completed before everyone arrived. That meant that I had to have a shorter workout then I normally do on Saturday. But because I also got all my weekly chores done before everyone arrive that leaves me with the rest of the weekend and a clean house. So I will probably do my long run tomorrow (at least 6 miles).

@loonyhiker - It is so true that you can’t out run your mouth. I agree, some days when I workout I feel like I can eat more junk because I worked out. But I know that will never work in the long run.

@kimmie373 - sorry to hear you have been under the weather, but glad to hear you are feeling better and are getting back to working out and watching what you eat. When I am sick I eat whatever I like. There is no reason to make yourself suffer any more than you really have to.
  • kimmie373
    Options
    loonyhiker wrote: »
    Welcome back @kimmie373! I commend you for wanted to get back to being active but I hope you don't try to go from zero to 100% all at once. This could lead to injuries and pain. Maybe you can gradually increase your activity times rather than try to close the rings all at once. I give myself one day off to let my muscles and body recuperate from exercising the other days. Maybe you can inspire your husband to join you if you tell him it would help you if you do it gradually together (but don't let him know that he is actually going to benefit from it too! LOL).

I agree I need to be careful and not go straight to full on exercise. Even though I want to close those rings I will take it easy with the exercise. I have tried all kinds of ways to try and have hubby join me. It will be easier to do come summer and we get outdoors more. He just isn’t a gym guy.
  • loonyhiker
    Options
    @kimmie373 My hubby isn't a gym guy either. When we can get outdoors, we walk together every day because there is a nice trail near our house. When we go to the end and back, we walk 3 miles. :) Glad you are exercising sensibly!

NSV - Hubby told me that he can tell I have lost weight. He was surprised and said usually the person you live with can't tell so I must have lost enough where it is noticeable even to him! I told him that his comment makes me want to continue losing weight and I appreciate his support!
  • msarobix
    Options
    I had every extension of working out today, but by the time that I got around to working out I just didn’t feel like it. Since I have worked out EVERY day so far this year, I figured I could take a day off without feeling guilty.

I will however make sure that I still close all my Apple Rings today, even if that means that I do a bit of walking on the treadmill today.

@loonyhiker - AWESOME NSV!
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    SallyLuvsFitness Posts: 13,724 Member
    Options
    loonyhiker wrote: »
    @kimmie373 My hubby isn't a gym guy either. When we can get outdoors, we walk together every day because there is a nice trail near our house. When we go to the end and back, we walk 3 miles. :) Glad you are exercising sensibly!

NSV - Hubby told me that he can tell I have lost weight. He was surprised and said usually the person you live with can't tell so I must have lost enough where it is noticeable even to him! I told him that his comment makes me want to continue losing weight and I appreciate his support!

Awesome!
  • msarobix
    Options
    When I started my workout this morning I had every intention to make it a short workout. My plan was to warm up for 10 minutes, then run for 25 minutes and then cool down for 10 minutes. As it turned out I ended up running for 45 minutes straight. After 25 minutes, I said to myself, I can do another 5 minutes. then after 30 minutes I felt the same way, and ran another 5 minutes. And it continued like that until I had reached 45 minutes. Right around the 42 minute mark I was feeling like I was reaching my limits, so I stopped at 45 minute, then cooled down for 10 minutes. I was very happy with this extended run.

How do you motivate yourself to workout or to push a bit harder?
  • loonyhiker
    Options
    I'm getting ready to go to Myrtle Beach for a conference tomorrow. I've already come up with a plan for my eating. Hubby and I will go out for breakfast each morning. A vendor is bringing us lunch tomorrow during set up which I may have time to eat or not. Tomorrow night we are going out to dinner with friends who I usually only see once a year at the conference. I plan on eating half my meal and getting half of it to take back to the hotel. On Friday there is an awards luncheon and I am so busy that I don't usually eat much then. Hubby and I will eat dinner somewhere on Friday night alone (I usually need some alone time away from the conference by this time). On Saturday I will eat leftovers from Thursday night for lunch in my room. Then a board meeting in the afternoon will be the end of the conference. Not sure I will have the energy to eat dinner by this time but if I'm hungry, hubby and I will eat a light dinner. On Sunday we will head back home.

Just planning all this helps me think about not overeating.
  • kimmie373
    Options
    I find earning badges on the activity app motivates me. This week it spurred me on to go a little bit longer on the elliptical and the treadmill. I earned badges for getting the highest calories burned to date for each one. I also earned a first time hiking badge. I have hiked before but never used my activity tracker for it before. I guess this badge collecting gives me a sense of accomplishment. Still need to get my eating under better control.
  • msarobix
    Options
    Wow, February got away from me, sorry I haven’t posted in a couple of days. I have been working out every day and closing my rings on my Apple Watch.

February Wrap Up:
    I lost a total of 3.5 lbs, an inch off my bust, and 1.25” off my hips. I also added additional measurements that I wasn’t taking before for a better idea of how well I am doing.

Sure I lost less than a pound a week in February, but honestly with the 2.25” lost I am still super happy about this. Plus,I haven’t been very strict on my diet and I know if I step up my diet I will easily drop weight faster, but at the same time I want to be happy about what I am eating and don’t want to deprive myself.

I have been thinking about doing the Whole 30 diet in March, for nothing more than to step up my weight loss. However, what I am afraid of is that as soon as I go back my normal way of eating I will just put the weight back on. It is slightly unlikely since I am working out so much. But the one thing I don’t want to have happen is for me to loss motivation, and I think if I lost a bunch of weight only to put it right back on again I think that would de-motivate me.

@loonyhiker - I hope your conference goes well. It sounds like you have really given it a lot of thought on how you are going to stay on track while you are there. Planning ahead is the best way to stick to it.

@kimmie373 - Badge collecting does exactly the same thing for me. I love to close my rings and get those rewards each week and month. And when I have the ability to beat my best it feels so good to see my progress. Congratulations on finding your motivation. Eating better is the most difficult part for me as well.
  • BackInSoFL
    BackInSoFL Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    @loonyhiker have a great trip, your plan sounds great. My plan (or lack of) left me with little results for February.

@kimmie373 Congrats on the increase in activity. Eating is 80% vs 20% exercise, you're on the right track now.

My February results (or lack of) was all due to planning. I've got lots of excuses, hurt my back, husband has been out of town,..I've just been off track with meal planning (ate out too much) and morning walk. Anyway, I am glad Feb is over and it was a short month.

Average daily eat cals 1400
    Average daily burn 1600

lost 0.60#, and 1/2 inch. Sounds like I am on maintenance.

I appreciate these monthly check ins and updating my spreadsheet, it really makes me take a look at the level of activity and calories and regroup each month. Accountability and adjustments moving forward!

Happy March everyone! I am going in like a lion (or is that the weather lol).

• msarobix
    Options
    Every month my Apple Watch gives me a challenge. January was fairly easy, it was only to close my stand goal 30 out of 31 days. As long as I was conscious of when I needed to get up and move around that was very easy to do. February was a bit harder, I had to close all 3 activity rings 24 out of 28 days in February. I achieved both of these Challenges.

The March challenge is a bit harder. It is to burn 24,500 calories during the month. That is an average of 790 calories a day. Currently my Move calorie goal for the day is 460, which I really need to increase at least a bit. However, I did average 791 and 796 calories a day in January and February respectively.

So I know it is possible, but it makes me nervous because I have been pushing myself for the last two months, and I expect at some point I am going to lose some motivation and I will back off on my workouts a bit. I have already had at least one day in February, where I just didn’t feel like working out, and did just enough to close my rings that day.

With this challenge I think I will push just a bit harder than if I didn’t have this challenge.

What challenges you, or encourages you to push a bit harder than you would without the challenge?

@BackinSoFL - there will always be days, weeks, and months where we don’t make much progress, but as long as you are still moving in the right direction, or at the very least standing still then you are still healthier than you were before. I hope March bring much more progress for you.
  • loonyhiker
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I like the monthly challenges with my watch too. My challenge this month is to reach my exercise goal 13 times. I have no problem getting my steps in, my movement and my stand goals but I really struggle with closing my exercise ring. This is a good challenge for me.

I also like getting the awards when I reach something I hadn't realized I did.

Unfortunately, with all my good intentions, I didn't do as well as I had hoped during my conference and gained 2 lbs. I believe it is water retention because I drank a lot of diet soda when we went out to eat. I tried to drink bottled water when I was desperate. A bottle of soda cost $3 at the hotel so I refused to buy it! When hubby and I went out to eat, we ate sensibly but when a vendor bought us lunch, I overdid it. I was so busy talking and having fun that I did a lot of mindless eating. Plus, I didn't get a lot of sleep and no exercise. Hopefully this week, I will get back on track.
  • msarobix
    Options
    @loonyhiker - sorry to hear about your weight gain, although it sounds like you might be right that it is just water retention. I am sure you will lose that in the next day or so.

I am still keeping up on my workouts, but diet is still a bit too much relaxed. I am going to do some meal planing before I go to the grocery store later this week so that I can get ingredients for some healthy meals that I can prepare this weekend and have all next week. I know I need to eat more veggies and less carbs.
  • loonyhiker
    Options
    Yesterday was better. I did my workout and drank a lot of water so today I'm down 1 lb. Hooray!
  • loonyhiker
    Options
    Back down to what I was before I went to the beach this past weekend. It was definitely water retention!
  • BackInSoFL
    BackInSoFL Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    @loonyhiker yeah!
  • msarobix
    Options
    @loonyhiker - Awesome, so happy to hear that.

I have been about the same for 2 weeks now. Going up a little then back down a little. I have been thinking more about structuring my diet a bit more rather than just focusing on moderation. I might start tracking my intake on MFP to see if I am anywhere close to where I think I am on calorie intake.
  • mynacha73
    mynacha73 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone - I haven't posted (or been on MFP) in about 5 weeks. I got caught up in some health things for me, work stuff, heading to Florida to help mom with her broken hip, then the school trip. Lots of "monkey wrenches" were thrown into the mix that I let distract me from checking in. I'd give myself a C on food choices (dealt with all the emotional stuff with a few too many poor food choices) and about a B on exercise. I missed the connection with this group and the larger MFP world.

I just got back from the school trip and I'm taking advantage of the jet lag, to switch myself to early morning exercise. I just got up early for a pilates workout (note that it is an added challenge to "do the 100" with the cat climbing on you), and I'm planning and shopping for the week's food today.

It's great to see what all of you are up to. Welcome to all the new folks and congratulations on the many successes over the last month. I think that just showing up together is a really big accomplishment for all of us.