Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

why do people think you can be healthy at every size?

Options

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,591 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    If you look at the "why did I gain weight" thread, 99 percent of the reasons are due to not being healthy. (Coping mechanisms, eating too much, eating too much high calorie food, being lazy, not being active etc)

If "eating too much" means you aren't healthy, then sure, but that's not a normal definition of what healthy means. People can be healthy and indulge in non-healthy behaviors. One can be healthy (as in their physical condition, test results, absence of illness and medical problems) and fail to wear a seat belt, for example.
    It seems as though eating too much is a result of UNHEALTHY coping mechanisms or circumstances, thus leading to obesity.

Eating too much will lead to obesity no matter why you overeat, and it's simply not accurate to claim that people only overeat as a result of being already unhealthy. Environment matters and for many people in the current environment one will have to take affirmative steps to avoid overeating.
    No one comments "I got obese by eating a healthy diet and I didn't have any unhealthy mental issues".

Lots of people get obese (let alone overweight) by eating a diet that is generally healthy but for the overall calories and without any unhealthy mental issues (and I would also dispute whether having some bad coping mechanisms makes you "unhealthy," especially since we are talking about physical health). It's easy and common to overeat a little over the course of a year (or gain some weight during pregnancies) and not really pay that much attention or put off dealing with it because you are focused on other things and then end up at age 40+ being within the obese category.

But in order to get obese you have to eat considerably over your maintenance for a long period of time. You don’t become obese with a generally healthy diet with occasional indulgences. You have to considerably overeat which is hard to do day in day out unless you have unhealthy reasons to do so such as mental and coping problems, etc.

I can see being overweight, but not obese which is what I am talking about. You would have to have a warped perception of how much a person should eat if you could get obese eating a healthy diet. Thus not healthy mentally and an issue that needed to be addressed.

You are telling me you know or can find examples of someone who got obese eating a healthy diet, not binging in secret or have mental struggles with eating too much, and while exercising regularly? I find that hard to believe.

Check out the Why Did You Get Fat (or whatever it's called) thread. I'd search and link but I'm on my tablet. I'm sure some have said they ate "healthy" but just too much. And I've seen people people say that before.

You can overeat chicken and broccoli just as easy as big macs and fries with or without an underlying mental reason if you enjoy that chicken and broccoli enough.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    If you look at the "why did I gain weight" thread, 99 percent of the reasons are due to not being healthy. (Coping mechanisms, eating too much, eating too much high calorie food, being lazy, not being active etc)

I still would not classify eating too much as being "healthy" regardless of what the diet is made up of. It seems as though eating too much is a result of UNHEALTHY coping mechanisms or circumstances, thus leading to obesity.

No one comments "I got obese by eating a healthy diet and I didn't have any unhealthy mental issues". And I have not seen one person get morbidly obese while eating a healthy diet (not grossly more than they need), exercising, and without mental issues.

What I bolded is far from universal. There is no one reason why people consume more calories than they burn. Additionally there are so many maladaptive coping mechanisms that aren't related to food.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    What priorities prevent one from putting less food in their mouth?

So given that you're on a weight loss site, what's your own answer?

Establish table push aways and fork putdowns as your primary form of exercise. Eating less would take less time allowing people to devote to the priorities mentioned.