March 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I am all bran new and shiny to this running business. I have always wanted to run but never pushed myself hard enough to really give it a go.

I have a 3 year old and a 3 month old that I stay home with and really want to do this for me, not to mention to be able to set a good example for the kids. Today I started week 1 of C25k, my goal for this month is to continue to push myself through the c25k program. I am doing it every other day and also doing a 30 day planking challenge.

Everyone around me is pretty sedentary and I am hoping sharing this experience with other newbies and long time runners will help to motivate me. My long term goal is to be able to run in some 5ks in the area.

Thanks for reading my novel introduction and thank you in advance for the support. 😊

Welcome. It’s great to have you here. As a mother of youngsters I know the ups and downs of fitting running into the schedule, but it’s so worth it. Running keeps me sane!

I second this. I run at 530am because its the only time I can fit it in.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,021 Member
    Options

I know absolutely NOTHING about cycling, but this would really annoy me! Plus, I'm not sure why is would be a problem if she were in the mix of men at the finish line. What am I missing? Why are there separate races for men and women in the first place? Is it just to keep the numbers and congestion down? Could they not just stagger starts based on projected speeds of the racers, like they do in marathons? So many questions? (Definitely obvious I know nothing about cycling, huh?)
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

I know absolutely NOTHING about cycling, but this would really annoy me! Plus, I'm not sure why is would be a problem if she were in the mix of men at the finish line. What am I missing? Why are there separate races for men and women in the first place? Is it just to keep the numbers and congestion down? Could they not just stagger starts based on projected speeds of the racers, like they do in marathons? So many questions? (Definitely obvious I know nothing about cycling, huh?)

Same thoughts. I am slower than most female runners even, but nobody cares who is in front of whom, right?!
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options

Same thoughts. I am slower than most female runners even, but nobody cares who is in front of whom, right?!

Drafting off of the men maybe? I'd think they'd just tell her not to, though, rather than interfere with the whole women's race. There would've been confusion with the cars closing the men's race and/or at the front of the women's race... I don't know either. Maybe in the moment they didn't have time to think it through properly. From what I understand, going out early like that probably meant she wasn't going to win, but we'll never know that for sure since they stopped her like that.