March 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    So, as I lay here in this hospital bed, listening to my O2 sat beep every time I move around... I wonder why is O2 not a helpful training metric? Any ideas? Seems to me it’d be more useful than HR.

Anyone have a monthly question?

My understanding is that o2 sat doesn't change much unless something is going wrong - ordinarily it's close to 100 and when mine dropped under 90 in the ER when they gave me too much pain medication I had people all over me, giving me oxygen, making sure I was okay.

But you can buy one of those fingerclippies at the drugstore for not much money, could be useful for someone with asthma or heart disease maybe.

I'm glad everything went well! Wishing you good healing!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    ————————————————————————-
    YA’LL. All the well wishes and healing vibes are helping. I made it down the hall and back on crutches, set a hospital PR 😛 might get me for doping though 🥴🤘

HA! Congrats! You should tell them to get you a medal!
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    ————————————————————————-
    YA’LL. All the well wishes and healing vibes are helping. I made it down the hall and back on crutches, set a hospital PR 😛 might get me for doping though 🥴🤘

HA! Congrats! You should tell them to get you a medal!

Absolutely!!! It's all about the swag (or bling - I can never remember which is which).
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    I have a monthly question if no one minds! For the benefit of the newbies especially. What gear have you bought that you regret spending too much money on, either because you hardly ever use it or because you found you could get something less expensive? And what gear has turned out to be a really great deal, either because it was expensive but worth every penny or because it was super cheap but works great?

Here are a couple...

NOTE: This is all my OPINION. You might disagree, and that is fine, but this is my opinion based on my experiences. :smiley:

REGRET: Eh, nothing really, but things that I wasted money on:
    * Blink Armbands. They died quickly. Saving up for a Nox thingy to replace them
    * Jaybird Earbuds - total garbage. Even after several RMAs. None lasted more than a few months despite being very expensive
    * JLabs Ear bubs. Same as Jaybird. Garbage.
    * Amiphod hydration belt. Falls off and uncomfortable to wear.
    * Oakley Polarized Black Iridium Sunglass - WAY pricey WAY PRICEY - work great but easy to scratch - I really really like them, and the look fo them (see my profile picture) but at that price point they should resist scratching WAY better

GOOD FINDS:
    * Darn Tough Wool Socks. Best winter socks ever. Full Stop
    * Heat Factory gloves on Amazon - only $20!
    * Under Armor Polarized Igniter 2 Sunglasses - 1/2 the price of the Oakley's but slightly darker, more resistant to scratches and just as good in all other specs. ANSI safety certified - aka they will stop rocks kicked up by cars, and random tree branches
    * Northface Windwall Jacket - Cost 6 arms and 3 legs at a local store, but nothing stops the wind like it does. I have been in 35 mph winds with it now. The wind does not get through.

Also BODY GLIDE. AKA Cream of the gods.

There are tons more I buy and toss or use. But that is just a few. Might do a full gear post again at some point for the newer people.

OH HOW COULD I LEAVE OUT THE WUNJO X5 ULTRA HYDRATION PACK! Best hydration pack I know of and only $60. :smiley:
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I have a monthly question if no one minds! For the benefit of the newbies especially. What gear have you bought that you regret spending too much money on, either because you hardly ever use it or because you found you could get something less expensive? And what gear has turned out to be a really great deal, either because it was expensive but worth every penny or because it was super cheap but works great?

I can't think of anything I regret buying. I'm pretty cheap and am always looking for deals (all of my Garmins have been bought off Craigslist for a great price) and I do my research so there haven't been any disappointments. I'll keep this part of the question in mind and see if I come up with anything.

One piece of gear that has really stood out for me is my Under Armor Cold Gear Infrared Balaclava. I think the "infrared" thing is a marketing gimmick but I love wearing this is cold weather. It's very versatile in how it can be warm, breathes well, and can be used in a wide range of temperatures. I think it's normally $30 but I found it on sale a year or two ago for $15.

Another piece of gear has been by Drymax socks. They will take me though anything unscathed. When I was running in -29F real temps, my Drymax cold weather running socks kept my feet perfectly warm. When I run trails I have some mini-crew Drymax socks which keep my feet happy no matter what we're running in or how wet they get. Never a blister. I also use Drymax thin mesh socks for road running and absolutely love those too. My feet never feel sweaty no matter how warm it is. They're not cheap, but they're worth every penny.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    One piece of gear that has really stood out for me is my Under Armor Cold Gear Infrared Balaclava. I think the "infrared" thing is a marketing gimmick but I love wearing this is cold weather. It's very versatile in how it can be warm, breathes well, and can be used in a wide range of temperatures. I think it's normally $30 but I found it on sale a year or two ago for $15.

Yes. I have the same hood, it is great!
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    @Avidkeo

My dark chocolate GF Cake:

My wife did the icing at my insistence :D

Now thats drool worthy!
  • Avidkeo
    edited March 2019
    Options

Ohhh this is a good question.

Gear I regret: shoes that weren't fitted. So 8 bought them online or just selected them myself. They've always had issues. I've never regretted shoes I got properly fitted.

Gear I love: my hydration pack I got from wish.com. It was recommended by other runners, cost around $20usd and is brilliant for me as a first pack to see what I think. Only used it twice now but has made a massive difference.

My visor. Can't remember who recommended it, I think @elise4270 and I love it so much. It keeps my hair out of my face, and water if it's raining. It wicks sweat and is really comfortable. And I got it on sale. Love it.
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    Oh and I'm an outlyer, I'm not that but a fan of body glide. I have a stick and have used it along side vaseline and find it meh. But I have a LOT I need to use it for, shoulder straps, under boobs, groin etc. I find vaseline works just as well and is a fraction of the price and frankly easier to apply. Plus I can get it in my local store where as Bodyglide is 1.5hr away. Also they tick me off that they have done the pink tax thing - there is a pink tube marketed as for women, that is smaller, and costs almost as much as the regular size, so therefor costs more for the same amount, yep that grinds my gears. Bodyglide I never felt like I got decent coverage. And yes I have a couple of pairs of underwear that are now vaseline stained but they are my running underwear so I don't care.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Okay, I am officially registered for the Mittens Challenge in May. Flights booked and I am trying to convince myself I am not completely crazy.

Upcoming Races:
    3/9 = Zooma Texas Half
    4/6 = Wanderlust Half
    5/4 = Wisconsin Marathon (Mittens Challenge Part 1)
    5/5 = Kalamazoo Marathon (Mittens Challenge Part 2)
    6/15 = Fit Foodie 5k

@amymoreorless I have seen these two marathons on your list for a few months now, and I kept meaning to ask...You are running a marathon in Wisconsin on 5/4, and then another in Kalamazoo the very next day??? Huge respect!!! By the way, my wife and all her family are from Kalamazoo. Her mom and sister still live in the same house she grew up in. And her other sister lives in Wisconsin. Small world.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options

My favorite higher priced purchase is this North Face windbreaker. It's extremely lightweight so I can layer it with just about anything for just about any temperature where wind might be an issue, and I like having the bright color for visibility. On the discount side, I've been happy with almost all of the gear I've purchased from Decathlon, on the recommendation of folks here.

Dislikes are pretty individual. I haven't really been happy with any pair of shorts or leggings that weren't high-waisted. I also *personally* didn't love the crew Smartwool socks I bought at the beginning of winter - they were too thick, rubbed weird on my legs, and didn't keep my feet warm on their own. I found that either tights or a liner sock under my usual socks works best for keeping the toes warm. But I bought them from REI so I was able to return them even after wearing them on several runs, which has prompted me to make sure to buy stuff from REI whenever possible.