Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Keto diet = good or bad

Replies

• HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    edited March 2019
    Ooh, I espy an opportunity for a tangent. Did you know that according to clickbait articles, the ancient Greeks didn't see blue?

(I think it was a great deal more complex than that, in reality.)
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    This forum could be renamed to the mocking forum rather than debate. Remove any confusion...

oh now..if anything the last few exchanges are members mocking the fact that anyone will argue absolutely anything in this forum. :)

Yep, this. Heck, I just admitted that I've done the potato hack on a different thread, we could have all sorts of fun with that one :D
  • svlofthouse
    svlofthouse Posts: 46 Member
    This discussion’s spiralled somewhat! I don’t mind because it was beginning to feel a little accusatory.
    To get back to keto, I’d be interested to know how people explained what how and why they’re eating in that way. In social situations it can be hard to explain why you’ve brought your own food (I can’t really eat school or restaurant food as I’m a vegetarian).
  • HeliumIsNoble
    Ooh, I espy an opportunity for a tangent. Did you know that according to clickbait articles, the ancient Greeks didn't see blue?

They grouped blue and green together under a single color name, if I recall correctly. And I believe several other cultures did the same thing. But it's been a long time since my degree so I may have it wrong.

So there's a solid historical precedent to be made that the sky is actually green. We only call it blue as a modern invention.
    I think the reality behind the articles in something like that. (I lasted two weeks the only and only time I tried to learn classical Greek so this is not. my. area.) Buzzfeed et al make it sound really excitingly alien of them and make it sound like they definitively saw the sky differently from us.

Sadly, I'm not convinced that using one word for a spectrum of colour that English-speaking people in our own time-frame divide into two smaller spectra with their own word means that Archimedes thought trees and the sky were the same shade of colour!
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    This discussion’s spiralled somewhat! I don’t mind because it was beginning to feel a little accusatory.
    To get back to keto, I’d be interested to know how people explained what how and why they’re eating in that way. In social situations it can be hard to explain why you’ve brought your own food (I can’t really eat school or restaurant food as I’m a vegetarian).

Social situations are easy... if you are going to a restaurant you eat meat with a side of meat, if you are going to someone's home, eat beforehand and don't eat there (or do like you would in the restaurant - eat the meat and skip the rest).
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

Where do you live that vegetarian options aren't available? In the US, there's usually at least one option for vegetarians except maybe in some really rural areas (and even then, you can usually get an omelette or a grilled cheese or something).
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member

They grouped blue and green together under a single color name, if I recall correctly. And I believe several other cultures did the same thing. But it's been a long time since my degree so I may have it wrong.

So there's a solid historical precedent to be made that the sky is actually green. We only call it blue as a modern invention.
    I never knew that. Thanks 🙂
    zeejane03 wrote: »
    This forum could be renamed to the mocking forum rather than debate. Remove any confusion...

oh now..if anything the last few exchanges are members mocking the fact that anyone will argue absolutely anything in this forum. :)

Yep, this. Heck, I just admitted that I've done the potato hack on a different thread, we could have all sorts of fun with that one :D

And I don't even know what the heck the potato hack is!!

Like I said, there's a wealth of information to be gotten here 😁
  • zeejane03
    edited March 2019

Oh it's a dumpter fire waiting to happen :#

I actually proofread a book about the hack for a guy, (Tim Steele), I met on another forum, a few years back. He ended up publishing it and is now working on his second book. He's an advocate of short potato hacks, but the Potato Hack King is the Spud Fit Man, the man is a legend lol
    https://www.today.com/health/spud-fit-man-loses-weight-eating-only-potatoes-year-t106144
  • Phirrgus

Oh it's a dumpter fire waiting to happen :#

I actually proofread a book about the hack for a guy I met on another forum, a few years back. He ended up publishing it and is now working on his second book. He's (Tim Steele) an advocate of short potato hacks, but the Potato Hack King is the Spud Fit Man, the man is a legend lol
    https://www.today.com/health/spud-fit-man-loses-weight-eating-only-potatoes-year-t106144

Oh Ok! I vaguely remember reading something about that, or something similar. I can't imagine lol. Thanks!
  • ccrdragon
    Penn (of Penn and Teller) started his weight loss with the potato diet - he ate only potatoes for a month and then slowly added other foods back in.

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/health/diet-nutrition/news/a39697/penn-jillette-weight-loss-potato-diet/
  • Phirrgus
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Penn (of Penn and Teller) started his weight loss with the potato diet - he ate only potatoes for a month and then slowly added other foods back in.

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/health/diet-nutrition/news/a39697/penn-jillette-weight-loss-potato-diet/

I couldn't do the mental gymnastics required to talk myself into that. I like potatoes and all, but....no..
  • HeliumIsNoble
    I probably could eat only potatoes for a month, but I'm not convinced I'm capable of eating so few as to lose weight.
  • zeejane03
    I probably could eat only potatoes for a month, but I'm not convinced I'm capable of eating so few as to lose weight.

You'd be surprised-once you remove all the fun extras (butter, cheese, bacon etc) and alls you have is plain, naked potatoes you don't really feel like eating a lot of them :p
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

You'd be surprised-once you remove all the fun extras (butter, cheese, bacon etc) and alls you have is plain, naked potatoes you don't really feel like eating a lot of them :p

Not for me. Assuming I can put a bit of salt on it, I can eat quite a lot of potatoes if I don't limit myself.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,707 Member

I couldn't do the mental gymnastics required to talk myself into that. I like potatoes and all, but....no..

If we want to live on Mars someday, we'd better learn how...
  • Phirrgus
    I had it explained here, and then saw my first potato thread in the open forums.

sigh...
  • ccrdragon
    lkpducky wrote: »

If we want to live on Mars someday, we'd better learn how...

Yes, but he also had ketchup....
This discussion has been closed.