Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Keto diet = good or bad

Options

Replies

• Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    There seems to be a lot you thinking the study was designed to do anything other than test the efficacy of a low carb diet.
    Someone mentioned that people quit the study... people quit every study. For whatever reason. Literally someone could just decide that donuts are more important to them than not being diabetic. People literally do that every single day.
    Knit picking irrelevant things you think matter doesn’t change the fact that 60% of the people reversed their diabetes. The reason that’s significant is because reputable resources like the ADA would have you believe it’s a progressive disease with no hope of reversal. Weight loss alone doesn’t show a 60% reversal rate. If weight was the factor that idea suggests, lean people wouldn’t become diabetic.

All your bias is showing.
    Isn't interesting that people saying it is possible to analyze studies and draw conclusions about them can point out potential issues in this study?
    As far as what is or isn't nitpicking about the study, I think you fundamentally disqualified yourself from making those assessments with your rejection of science as having valid methods over subjective experience based epistemology.
    And yes, in obese and overweight individuals early in T2D, successfully losing and maintaining a 10% reduction in weight is about a guarantee to reversal. Good exercise programs can reduce markers in 4 weeks. Compliance is a huge factor.
    Now can weight loss treat all T2D? No, it has both a lifestyle and genetic component. That I'm saying it can be treated that way isn't saying that is the whole etiology of the condition.

And yes, my bias does show. Understanding science will cause massive bias about studies based on their methodology. Bias isn't the same as being incorrect. If that is your standard, the Virta study has the issue of the doctors doing it all have financial relationships with Virta. But I frankly tried to avoid even bothering with that because I think it is the lowest tier of criticism of scientific research.

You say a lot of things. Most of which are incredibly one sided where you completely ignore anything anyone else says.

Meh

One sided in what sense. I haven't seen him take a position for or against keto, which is the topic. He is proscience. Why does that disturb you? You seem to be looking for an argument.

Seriously?!?! I gave someone a link to an article that happened to be on the Virta site and then had people jumping all over Virta as money hungry snake oil salesmen. I never made any claims of any kind. I only shared info I thought someone, not even those responding, might be interested in. And I’m the one looking for a fight? What a joke!
    I’ve clearly said all along that It’s good for people to have options so they can find what’s right for them.
    That’s argumentative?!?
    Interesting

This is the debate section. Things get debated here. ;)

I honestly believe that if someone posted to the debate section that the sky is blue, MFP would go 28 pages debating whether it's actually blue or if it's just perceived as blue.

That perception could be the result of a lack of omega 3 fatty acids, or insulin resistance, or...you know....
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    There seems to be a lot you thinking the study was designed to do anything other than test the efficacy of a low carb diet.
    Someone mentioned that people quit the study... people quit every study. For whatever reason. Literally someone could just decide that donuts are more important to them than not being diabetic. People literally do that every single day.
    Knit picking irrelevant things you think matter doesn’t change the fact that 60% of the people reversed their diabetes. The reason that’s significant is because reputable resources like the ADA would have you believe it’s a progressive disease with no hope of reversal. Weight loss alone doesn’t show a 60% reversal rate. If weight was the factor that idea suggests, lean people wouldn’t become diabetic.

Isn't interesting that people saying it is possible to analyze studies and draw conclusions about them can point out potential issues in this study?
    As far as what is or isn't nitpicking about the study, I think you fundamentally disqualified yourself from making those assessments with your rejection of science as having valid methods over subjective experience based epistemology.
    And yes, in obese and overweight individuals early in T2D, successfully losing and maintaining a 10% reduction in weight is about a guarantee to reversal. Good exercise programs can reduce markers in 4 weeks. Compliance is a huge factor.
    Now can weight loss treat all T2D? No, it has both a lifestyle and genetic component. That I'm saying it can be treated that way isn't saying that is the whole etiology of the condition.

And yes, my bias does show. Understanding science will cause massive bias about studies based on their methodology. Bias isn't the same as being incorrect. If that is your standard, the Virta study has the issue of the doctors doing it all have financial relationships with Virta. But I frankly tried to avoid even bothering with that because I think it is the lowest tier of criticism of scientific research.

You say a lot of things. Most of which are incredibly one sided where you completely ignore anything anyone else says.

Meh

One sided in what sense. I haven't seen him take a position for or against keto, which is the topic. He is proscience. Why does that disturb you? You seem to be looking for an argument.

Seriously?!?! I gave someone a link to an article that happened to be on the Virta site and then had people jumping all over Virta as money hungry snake oil salesmen. I never made any claims of any kind. I only shared info I thought someone, not even those responding, might be interested in. And I’m the one looking for a fight? What a joke!
    I’ve clearly said all along that It’s good for people to have options so they can find what’s right for them.
    That’s argumentative?!?
    Interesting

I honestly believe that if someone posted to the debate section that the sky is blue, MFP would go 28 pages debating whether it's actually blue or if it's just perceived as blue.

That perception could be the result of a lack of omega 3 fatty acids, or insulin resistance, or...you know....

Well... what we perceive as blue is, in fact, black.

:tongue:
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options

Meh

That’s argumentative?!?
    Interesting

Come on, it's clearly "keto brain" clouding the ability to correctly process visual data! /s

I might buy this...everyone knows it's azure we see, unless we had eggs for breakfast.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,187 Member
    Options

Meh

That’s argumentative?!?
    Interesting

Come on, it's clearly "keto brain" clouding the ability to correctly process visual data! /s

Pretty sure it's said that keto improves all functioning. (As does any other special diet of preference.)
This discussion has been closed.