Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Keto diet = good or bad

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited January 2019
    Basically every diet that's based on mostly whole foods (which keto can be but is not necessarily, of course) claims to lower inflammation. I just listened to a podcast with Dean Ornish and he went on about how his WFPB/LF is great since it lowers inflammation (as a reason why his way of eating is best and keto is bad), and from what I've read elsewhere he's got a point about his own way of eating and some ways of doing keto, although he's wrong in some ways too:

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/foods-that-fight-inflammation
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    MrLimuzin wrote: »
    Keto. My personal opinion (not fact)? It's a stupid fad diet. How is staying so low on carbs that you end up skipping out on vegetables a good thing? If you want weight loss CICO is ultimately what can get you results.

I personally do a low carb diet. But you do not seem to know much about a diet you are bashing. On Keto there are quite a few Vegetables that you can eat on a regular basis. Really the ones that are off limits are starchy vegetables. And they are not on low carb diets either.

While you can have a limited variety, its low quantity. At least I thought so

I can agree with your statement. But as I fall in the Low carb end, opposed to those who do the Keto. I really can have a decent amount of almost any type of vegetable. Other than the starchy ones, which also do bad things for my blood sugars. So if I stay at 4 oz or less say roasted sweet potatoes here and there I am satisfied. With so many variations, everyone should be able to find one that works for them. But yes, there are some veges that I like that I really do not eat much of anymore, I just put some in to soups here and there. Matchstick carrots.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited January 2019
    psuLemon wrote: »
    MrLimuzin wrote: »
    Keto. My personal opinion (not fact)? It's a stupid fad diet. How is staying so low on carbs that you end up skipping out on vegetables a good thing? If you want weight loss CICO is ultimately what can get you results.

I personally do a low carb diet. But you do not seem to know much about a diet you are bashing. On Keto there are quite a few Vegetables that you can eat on a regular basis. Really the ones that are off limits are starchy vegetables. And they are not on low carb diets either.

While you can have a limited variety, its low quantity. At least I thought so

I can agree with your statement. But as I fall in the Low carb end, opposed to those who do the Keto. I really can have a decent amount of almost any type of vegetable. Other than the starchy ones, which also do bad things for my blood sugars. So if I stay at 4 oz or less say roasted sweet potatoes here and there I am satisfied. With so many variations, everyone should be able to find one that works for them. But yes, there are some veges that I like that I really do not eat much of anymore, I just put some in to soups here and there. Matchstick carrots.

Yeah, low carb has plenty of veg as long as you use the carbs sensibly. I am low carb in some definitions (or was until I started my current diet experiment) and I could have as many veg as desired (usually 10+ servings), some fruit, and even starchy carbs with at least one meal, as long as the serving is moderate (or smaller servings at two meals). If someone considers low carb just less than 150 g (I think of that as more "moderate carb"), then it's even easier.

My personal experience with keto was that even on 60 g total, 35 g net, I was struggling to eat all the non starchy veg (plus avocado) I wanted and not go over even with limited full fat dairy and maybe a serving of nuts as my only other carbs (usually on alternate days).

That was without any fruit at all.

If someone is on under 20 net, I do think that for me that would be a huge decline in veg, and when they talk about eating other carb sources (including small amounts of fruit or keto treats that sometimes have some carbs), then I can't imagine how they are getting in what I'd consider a good number of veg. But I think people start with different ideas about what plenty of veg is.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Well I never lost a lot of weight eating 3000+ calories daily either. Being able to maintain the weight loss and still eating the same 3000+ calorie WOE was a shock to me based off of posts from others.
    Out of curiosity, how did you track that?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Well I never lost a lot of weight eating 3000+ calories daily either. Being able to maintain the weight loss and still eating the same 3000+ calorie WOE was a shock to me based off of posts from others.

That was covered 3 posts up.
  • J72FIT

I don't see it. Could you repost it for me? Thanks.
  • J72FIT

I don't see it. Could you repost it for me? Thanks.

Sorry that was my bad it is 5 posts back. Now you see why I do not count and track calories any longer. :)

Sorry, can you repost. I can not find...
This discussion has been closed.