Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Keto diet = good or bad

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    277to161 wrote: »
    Sloth2016 wrote: »
    Seems counterintuitive. Difficult for me to believe that over millions of years, evolution provided humans with the ketogenic "safety valve" - enabling us to survive even in a paucity of food resources (i.e., no plant based food available); yet paradoxically, the "safety valve" is so inefficient that the human machine requires substantially greater number of calories to keep going when in the ketogenic state??? :s

Surely, such a poorly equipped creature would have died out long ago, right? :'(

This is a perfect example of people not understanding keto. A balanced keto plan includes plenty of healthy plant-based foods. Replacing glucose with ketones as fuel, one needs to eat much less and can go much longer without food. If you are doing it right you eat when you are hungry and stop when you are full. After you are completely adapted the need to eat every few hours is gone.

Granting that as true for arguendo, that would have the evolutionary implication that keto has some strong disadvantage that selects against being in it. Saving energy can get pretty cut-throat, having an economy mode that isn't killing the acceleration as the default seems odd.
    There's even evidence in Arctic people for a selection sweep against ketosis - yes, despite all the talk of Inuit diets by keto fans, Inuit rarely are in ketosis. Most of them have a gene SNP that encourages their body to stay out of ketosis, and this trait is highly retained in the population even though it looks like it tends to increase infant mortality rates.

Do you know if the mongols had that too? I'm curious.

I'm only aware of the selection sweep for the particular SNP existing for Arctic populations.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4225582/
    In a recent genome-wide SNP genotype study of 200 Siberian individuals,3 the strongest signals of positive selection detected by tests for haplotype homozygosity and allele differentiation mapped to a 3 Mb region containing 79 protein-coding genes at chr11: 66–69 Mb in Northeast Siberian populations. Because of the limited density of markers in the SNP data, it was impossible to pinpoint the causative locus for the selection signal. Here, we sequenced the genomes of 25 unrelated individuals from the Chukchi, Eskimo, and Koryak populations (Figure S1, available online) with a mean coverage of >40× by using the Complete Genomics platform (Tables S1A and S1B).
    It seems that it is prevalent in their neighbors. I would think it reasonable for it to exist in populations living in the more frozen ranges of the Mongol population, but I don't have the empirical evidence to make a claim.

It is interesting. I've read about this before. I wonder if it applies to first nations and mongols where the temps aren't as low - the grasslands - where they may get a bit more plant but still live as carnivores for part of the year.
  • Basic concepts I think about regarding Keto:
    What do humans store extra energy as?
    If you are used to using that form wouldn’t those stores be easier to tap?
    What is the big difference between modern man’s diet (surviving-minus heart disease, obesity, diabetes, etc.- for hundreds of years) and our ancestral diet (with man surviving and thriving for thousands of years)?
    After research what makes the most sense?
    Does it do good things for me personally?

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Seems counterintuitive. Difficult for me to believe that over millions of years, evolution provided humans with the ketogenic "safety valve" - enabling us to survive even in a paucity of food resources (i.e., no plant based food available); yet paradoxically, the "safety valve" is so inefficient that the human machine requires substantially greater number of calories to keep going when in the ketogenic state??? :s

Surely, such a poorly equipped creature would have died out long ago, right? :'(

This is a perfect example of people not understanding keto. A balanced keto plan includes plenty of healthy plant-based foods. Replacing glucose with ketones as fuel, one needs to eat much less and can go much longer without food. If you are doing it right you eat when you are hungry and stop when you are full. After you are completely adapted the need to eat every few hours is gone.

Granting that as true for arguendo, that would have the evolutionary implication that keto has some strong disadvantage that selects against being in it. Saving energy can get pretty cut-throat, having an economy mode that isn't killing the acceleration as the default seems odd.
    There's even evidence in Arctic people for a selection sweep against ketosis - yes, despite all the talk of Inuit diets by keto fans, Inuit rarely are in ketosis. Most of them have a gene SNP that encourages their body to stay out of ketosis, and this trait is highly retained in the population even though it looks like it tends to increase infant mortality rates.

I'm only aware of the selection sweep for the particular SNP existing for Arctic populations.
    In a recent genome-wide SNP genotype study of 200 Siberian individuals,3 the strongest signals of positive selection detected by tests for haplotype homozygosity and allele differentiation mapped to a 3 Mb region containing 79 protein-coding genes at chr11: 66–69 Mb in Northeast Siberian populations. Because of the limited density of markers in the SNP data, it was impossible to pinpoint the causative locus for the selection signal. Here, we sequenced the genomes of 25 unrelated individuals from the Chukchi, Eskimo, and Koryak populations (Figure S1, available online) with a mean coverage of >40× by using the Complete Genomics platform (Tables S1A and S1B).
    It seems that it is prevalent in their neighbors. I would think it reasonable for it to exist in populations living in the more frozen ranges of the Mongol population, but I don't have the empirical evidence to make a claim.

It is interesting. I've read about this before. I wonder if it applies to first nations and mongols where the temps aren't as low - the grasslands - where they may get a bit more plant but still live as carnivores for part of the year.

You cannot generalize about Native American diets. For example: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/07/120724104434.htm

"The research, which appears in the latest edition of the journal Current Anthropology, suggests that the prehistoric hunter-gatherer civilizations of the Southwest lived on a diet very high in fiber, very low in fat and dominated by foods extremely low on the glycemic index, a measure of effects food has on blood sugar levels. This diet, researchers said, could have been sufficient to give rise to the fat-storing "thrifty genes."

I mentioned first nations living on the grasslands- that's Canada's prairies. They all are very similarly.

I won't argue that native Americans ate differently than the grassland first nations peoples. Really, the SW USA is almost as far from them as the Inuit are.

They may have a thrifty gene up here too. Who knows.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited January 2019

You cannot generalize about Native American diets. For example: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/07/120724104434.htm

"The research, which appears in the latest edition of the journal Current Anthropology, suggests that the prehistoric hunter-gatherer civilizations of the Southwest lived on a diet very high in fiber, very low in fat and dominated by foods extremely low on the glycemic index, a measure of effects food has on blood sugar levels. This diet, researchers said, could have been sufficient to give rise to the fat-storing "thrifty genes."

I mentioned first nations living on the grasslands- that's Canada's prairies. They all are very similarly.

I won't argue that native Americans ate differently than the grassland first nations peoples. Really, the SW USA is almost as far from them as the Inuit are.

Ah, I skimmed past the reference to "the grasslands" and thought "first nations" was Canadian for Native Americans generally.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Is there a Keto support group on MFP anywhere? I need ideas for snacks that won't undo my efforts.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member

Ah, I skimmed past the reference to "the grasslands" and thought "first nations" was Canadian for Native Americans generally.

First Na·tionDictionary result for First Nation
    noun
    plural noun: First Nations
    any of the groups of indigenous peoples of Canada officially recognized as an administrative unit by the federal government or functioning as such without official status. The term is generally understood to exclude the Inuit and Metis.
    "the Siksika First Nation in Alberta"
    Im part mohawk which is considered first nation, Im also algonquin and Iroquois(among other things lol) and the fat storing gene Im assuming its meaning they dont store a lot of fat? if so it missed me lol

also this https://www.druide.com/en/reports/native-american-first-nations-or-aboriginal
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited January 2019

noun
    any of the groups of indigenous peoples of Canada officially recognized as an administrative unit by the federal government or functioning as such without official status. The term is generally understood to exclude the Inuit and Metis.
    Im part mohawk which is considered first nation, Im also algonquin and Iroquois(among other things lol) and the fat storing gene Im assuming its meaning they dont store a lot of fat? if so it missed me lol

also this https://www.druide.com/en/reports/native-american-first-nations-or-aboriginal

Yeah, I get that now. For some reason I'd always just assumed that "first nations" was the Canadian way of referring politely to all Native American populations. I didn't know it was supposed to be Canada-specific, etc.

Re: fat storing gene, you mean the thrifty gene concept? It is supposed to mean that in certain more recently hunter-gatherer populations there's an adaptation to help put on fat more easily for times of famine, and it could be why many of those populations seem especially susceptible to T2D.

It seems to be pretty criticized/subject to correction, and the hypothesis has been modified some: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrifty_gene_hypothesis
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member

noun

Yeah, I get that now. For some reason I'd always just assumed that "first nations" was the Canadian way of referring politely to all Native American populations. I didn't know it was supposed to be Canada-specific, etc.

Re: fat storing gene, you mean the thrifty gene concept? It is supposed to mean that in certain more recently hunter-gatherer populations there's an adaptation to help put on fat more easily for times of famine, and it could be why many of those populations seem especially susceptible to T2D.

It seems to be pretty criticized/subject to correction, and the hypothesis has been modified some: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrifty_gene_hypothesis

I found this because I dont trust wikipedia as a valid source(as it can be edited) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2723682/
  • Pjay70
    Pjay70 Posts: 2 Member
    I read many but not all of the comments. Many mention Ketoas being no carbs. That is not correct. Keto is 35 total carbs /20 net carbs. Whether it is good or bad depends on what research you read.
This discussion has been closed.