Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Keto diet = good or bad

Options

Replies

• fatblatta
    fatblatta Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    fatblatta wrote: »
    zeejane03 wrote: »
    For me, getting a good amount of fiber is difficult on Keto. High fiber is pretty essential for digestive health. It is possible I guess to reach 30 grams/per day without fruit, lequmes, grains but I would have to eat an enormous amount of vegetables. I have been doing the Med. diet which also reduces inflammation and has helped my spinal arthritis.

I've seen it argued by low carb advocates that fiber isn't necessary when doing keto. However, there's a lot of reputable research that points to higher fiber intake being a good thing and may help reduce the onset of some diseases. The newest coming out of WHO is for higher intakes than currently recommended (over 30g a day).

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(18)31809-9/fulltext
    (copy/paste the whole link into a new browser)

Hi,

Not everyone! I had a problem and my Gastro doctor said high fiber does not work for everyone. When I adopted a low carb diet my troubles went away. I eat a bunch of vegetables. But low carb is very low fiber. Don't listen to everything people tell you!

It largely depends on the disease. Many disease can benefit from fibrous diets, while others (like some forms of IBS) can increase symptoms. For the general populous who isn't in a disease state, fiber is very beneficial. Like protein, it has a high thermal effect for digestion, its highly correlated with being filling, and is loaded with vitamins and minerals.

Here is the key part of your statement: can increase symptoms.!

I wasn't exactly disagreeing with you. But the very few who need low carb, is exactly that, very few. You, like my wife, are in a different situation, which requires specialized help. For my wife, low fiber was only suggest when her diverticulitis was flaring. When it wasn't high fiber was recommended. But overall, fiber supports good gut health.

I'll buy that. But remember, not everyone benefits from high fiber! And tell your wife to watch out for macadamia nuts. My wife used to buy me the big can at Costo. A few days of eating them will cause a diverticulitis flare up. Doctors will tell you nuts don't cause it. I call BS and I am not testing it a third time!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    For me, getting a good amount of fiber is difficult on Keto. High fiber is pretty essential for digestive health. It is possible I guess to reach 30 grams/per day without fruit, lequmes, grains but I would have to eat an enormous amount of vegetables. I have been doing the Med. diet which also reduces inflammation and has helped my spinal arthritis.

I've seen it argued by low carb advocates that fiber isn't necessary when doing keto. However, there's a lot of reputable research that points to higher fiber intake being a good thing and may help reduce the onset of some diseases. The newest coming out of WHO is for higher intakes than currently recommended (over 30g a day).

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(18)31809-9/fulltext

Hi,

Not everyone! I had a problem and my Gastro doctor said high fiber does not work for everyone. When I adopted a low carb diet my troubles went away. I eat a bunch of vegetables. But low carb is very low fiber. Don't listen to everything people tell you!

It largely depends on the disease. Many disease can benefit from fibrous diets, while others (like some forms of IBS) can increase symptoms. For the general populous who isn't in a disease state, fiber is very beneficial. Like protein, it has a high thermal effect for digestion, its highly correlated with being filling, and is loaded with vitamins and minerals.

I wasn't exactly disagreeing with you. But the very few who need low carb, is exactly that, very few. You, like my wife, are in a different situation, which requires specialized help. For my wife, low fiber was only suggest when her diverticulitis was flaring. When it wasn't high fiber was recommended. But overall, fiber supports good gut health.

I'll buy that. But remember, not everyone benefits from high fiber! And tell your wife to watch out for macadamia nuts. My wife used to buy me the big can at Costo. A few days of eating them will cause a diverticulitis flare up. Doctors will tell you nuts don't cause it. I call BS and I am not testing it a third time!

Thanks, but she already had a colon recession since her diverticulitis was terrible (she has 5 flare ups in a few years). Since then, she has been feeling great and working on increasing fruit/veggie consumption. Her only issue is non cooked veggies.
  • fatblatta
    Options

Hi,

Thanks, but she already had a colon recession since her diverticulitis was terrible (she has 5 flare ups in a few years). Since then, she has been feeling great and working on increasing fruit/veggie consumption. Her only issue is non cooked veggies.

That's scary. I'm sorry & hope she stays well. I was headed there until I went back on low carb and stopped trying to eat 30 grams of fiber a day.
  • fatblatta
    edited March 2019
    Options
    PS. I am 59 and she just turned 61. My BMI was 44 at one time and it's 34 now. Hers is 27. We are both short and squatty. All *kitten* and no body :)

On second thought, hers is probably lower because 11 pounds is probably 8% of her body weight.
This discussion has been closed.