March 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    @kgirlhart Yes! I have seen Stranger Things. I may re-watch it too! I keep calling this kitten we have “Dart”, he’s like the pet devil dog!

ETA wow @7lenny7 that sure is pretty!
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    @avidkeo if you haven’t made your mind up yet - buy the mixer.

My Kenwood A700D. Dates from the 1950’s bought off eBay. Still going (probably could do with a new motor and certainly the cable rubber is melting)

And it’s beautiful

66k0er30q1m7.jpeg

Its BEAUTIFUL!!!
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @girlinahat you have a package coming!
    b4bkse5cqa2p.jpg

@Elise4270 You are such and incredible person, and have the biggest heart of anyone I know!
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    Afternoon. Been a hectic day for me.

This morning I went for 5.5k easy run, that I actually took easy! My HR never went above 165 I was only just in zone 4, I even spend 10 minutes in zone 3! I felt like I could run for a lot longer, but as I'm easing in after my injury I'm sticking to the 10% rule. Last week I did all 5k runs, this week, I'll do 5.5. Ill throw in a longer run on Wednesday and Friday - 6 and 7, as long as my leg holds out.

Talking about the leg - no, I'm not complaining for a change hahaha - I came across this video of a guy saying "this will solve your shin splints", so I watched, with a firmly skeptical mind. Basically he did a myofascial release, I think. he took an object like a scraper, and scraped the muscle. I thought well I'm trying massage and stretching and its not really improving things. what do I have to lose. So I got some oil, and a cake server (the only scraper like object I owned lol) and tried it. I was almost pain free the next day. so I did it again morning and night. and that's it. pain free. And no pain at all on or after my run today (definitely not my shoes then, thank god) I googled a bit more and found the myofascial release thingy - chiropractors use it apparently. I think its more like a deep tissue massage using an implement rather than hands.

Now I'm a sckeptic. It may be a co-incidence. I was still stretching, rolling and had a couple of days rest. that may have been it. but maybe not. Unsure. Anyone else done anything like this? tried something that looks or sounds unlikely and turned out to maybe be of benefit?
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @Avidkeo regarding myofacial release, yes it a thing, it does help. I've had 2 pt's use it and was always left bruised. But in better shape. They have speciality torture devices for getting those extra special knotted up places. Its a love hate thing.

Thanks for thinking I'm big hearted. I really don't like people, but love the ones i know. I'm a truly a dog. (Chinese zodiac).
    ________
    Its almost 3 am. I hear thunder. @garygse that thwart todays run?
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Afternoon. Been a hectic day for me.

This morning I went for 5.5k easy run, that I actually took easy! My HR never went above 165 I was only just in zone 4, I even spend 10 minutes in zone 3! I felt like I could run for a lot longer, but as I'm easing in after my injury I'm sticking to the 10% rule. Last week I did all 5k runs, this week, I'll do 5.5. Ill throw in a longer run on Wednesday and Friday - 6 and 7, as long as my leg holds out.

Talking about the leg - no, I'm not complaining for a change hahaha - I came across this video of a guy saying "this will solve your shin splints", so I watched, with a firmly skeptical mind. Basically he did a myofascial release, I think. he took an object like a scraper, and scraped the muscle. I thought well I'm trying massage and stretching and its not really improving things. what do I have to lose. So I got some oil, and a cake server (the only scraper like object I owned lol) and tried it. I was almost pain free the next day. so I did it again morning and night. and that's it. pain free. And no pain at all on or after my run today (definitely not my shoes then, thank god) I googled a bit more and found the myofascial release thingy - chiropractors use it apparently. I think its more like a deep tissue massage using an implement rather than hands.

Now I'm a sckeptic. It may be a co-incidence. I was still stretching, rolling and had a couple of days rest. that may have been it. but maybe not. Unsure. Anyone else done anything like this? tried something that looks or sounds unlikely and turned out to maybe be of benefit?

This sounds suspiciously like Gua Sha. I'll look up some info once I find a computer.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    @ContraryMaryMary congrats on the team win. Nice bling!
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options

exercise.png
  • Sparx_81
    Sparx_81 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    So I've been struck down with a head cold... Do I a) run it off or b) Rest and try to get rid of it sooner? I'm more in camp a at the moment...
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Sparx_81 wrote: »
    So I've been struck down with a head cold... Do I a) run it off or b) Rest and try to get rid of it sooner? I'm more in camp a at the moment...

@Sparx_81 the conventional wisdom is that if you're sick from the neck up, go ahead and run. Below that, rest.