Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Keto diet = good or bad

Options

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I post all kinds of things about the idiosyncratic ways I choose to eat (I mean, jeepers, I drink ACV (though not for weight loss ;) ), I've been vegetarian for decades (not weight loss magic or a religion), adore probiotic fermented veggies, don't like Oreos or Poptarts at all, and eat pounds of veggies daily (but don't evangelize for WFPB or "clean", terms I hate)). I get like zero pushback, even on the really statistically bizarre-o-ville stuff, because while it's good for me, I know I'm talking about me, not the whole flippin' world, and try to communicate accordingly.

Exactly this. And I have had the same experience.
  • fatblatta
    fatblatta Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Yes. I should work on that. I am a technical person. We tend to say what we want in as few words as possible. My Ph.D. co-worker will use 1000 words when he could have just said yes. I'll go to his office and ask if that was a yes. He'll sigh and nod. :) Also, I was a vegetarian for over a year. One thick bacon cheeseburger and I went back to meat eating. I don't eat much meat now, which is contrary to what people think keto is. There are many keto vegetarians.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    19 billion chickens

A 2011 report suggested there were 19 billion chickens on Earth, a full 12 billion more chickens than humans.

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/and-finally/this-thread-on-the-earths-chicken-population-is-a-rollercoaster-36213745.html

Actually most sites that I googled said that chickens don't fart. IDK
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Are chickens a problem?
  • fatblatta
    fatblatta Posts: 333 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    fatblatta wrote: »
    Well, you didn't answer my challenge before. And you apparently didn't read any of the links I provided. Are you up for it now?

Instead of looking at a keto website, we can look at meta analyses on long term. Short term (less than 6 months) low carb produces faster weight loss but is equal compared to low fat.

And this doesn't even consider the whole area in the middle.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3530364/

Well, you can discount the links because you think they are biased. I'll go cut some articles for you so you don't have to look at the keto site before you get the science stuff. But the NIH is a pretty respectable outfit. And the title of the article is

Long-term effects of a ketogenic diet in obese patients
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    19 billion chickens

A 2011 report suggested there were 19 billion chickens on Earth, a full 12 billion more chickens than humans.

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/and-finally/this-thread-on-the-earths-chicken-population-is-a-rollercoaster-36213745.html

Actually most sites that I googled said that chickens don't fart. IDK

Thank you. Now I can rest easy knowing that.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    It's actually cow burps that were thought to be a large problem but it's now known that they produce just a small fraction of the methane they were suspected of making, about 3-4% vs 18-20% of methane.

There are almost no long term keto diet trials out there that I know of. This is one, only 24 weeks:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2716748/

The other is Virta, but they are looking more at treating diabetes rather than focusing on weight loss. One group gets the standard of care, with advice to eat less and move more. The other group gets counselling on a low carb diet, presumedly more than WW or Jenny Craig would provide, but I don't really know.
    https://www.virtahealth.com/research

"Obesity
    Excess weight represents risk for both type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease. Virta patients sustained the loss of 12% of their body weight over the year. The prevalence of class III obesity among participants was reduced from 46% to 20%.
    "

obesity@2x.e8f5520e9c.png

In the above graph, you can't see the standard of care line because there was no weight loss.

Virta is done 2 years now. Last I heard is that about 74% stuck with it.

"Weight Loss
    At baseline, body weight of the intervention group averaged at 115 kg (254 pounds). On average after one year, participants in the intervention group lowered body weight to 100.3 kg (221 pounds). At two years, body weight of participants in the intervention group increased slightly to 102.6 kg (226 pounds).

By comparison, body weight of the usual care control group was 111 kg (244 pounds) at baseline, 112 kg (247 pounds) at one-year and stable at two years.
    "
    From here:
    https://www.lchf-rd.com/2018/12/16/long-term-benefits-of-a-ketogenic-diet-2-year-update/

I have no idea what the norm is for weight loss maintenance at 2 years. Technically speaking, those in the Virta trials still have weight to lose, but it's great that they kept off 10% for 2 years.

• Carol061119
    Carol061119 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight on accurate Keto. I have done it. Had to stop Keto because my gallbladder could not tolerate the high fat levels. Low carb is very beneficial to me but, I have to do low fat as well. Being overweight shortens your life so, bad or good you are weighing risk versus benefit. I am finding after doing many many diet methods that calories matter and empty carbs are not conducive to weight loss.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    carolhiner wrote: »
    You can lose weight on accurate Keto. I have done it. Had to stop Keto because my gallbladder could not tolerate the high fat levels. Low carb is very beneficial to me but, I have to do low fat as well. Being overweight shortens your life so, bad or good you are weighing risk versus benefit. I am finding after doing many many diet methods that calories matter and empty carbs are not conducive to weight loss.

Excuse me, but what are "empty" carbs?
This discussion has been closed.