Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Keto diet = good or bad

Options

Replies

• lleeann2001
    lleeann2001 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    zeejane03 wrote: »
    zeejane03 wrote: »
    For me, getting a good amount of fiber is difficult on Keto. High fiber is pretty essential for digestive health. It is possible I guess to reach 30 grams/per day without fruit, lequmes, grains but I would have to eat an enormous amount of vegetables. I have been doing the Med. diet which also reduces inflammation and has helped my spinal arthritis.

May be of interest

https://blog.virtahealth.com/fiber-colon-health-ketogenic-diet/

I stopped reading once I realized that site is selling a $199 a month subscription (plus a $500 sign up fee).

And someone above thread said people weren't cashing in on keto :p

They are doctors. The service is for them to be your doctor if you’re T2D. Do you know any doctors that work for free?
    They have published some very impressive studies showing a 60% reversal of T2D in one year. I don’t know many diabetics that wouldn’t save money reversing their diabetes even if using a private service like this.

I pay $75 to meet face to face with my doctor. That also includes getting health markers checked (blood pressure etc). No way would I pay $200 a month (plus a $500 sign up fee), for an internet doctor on some website.

It’s nice to have many options based upon your goals.
    Those “internet doctors” have real offices where they see patients in person as well. They are actually running a long term study right now. The internet option brings their expertise to a much larger population. It’s a choice for anyone to use their service.
    Sad that a team of doctors doing what has been thought to be impossible, gets reduced to being called “internet doctors” just because they make their services more widely available.
    I guess you think it’s better for them to stay only minimally available for some reason? That’s weird.

But why do these internet doctors need to do this? For altruistic reasons? Or to make a lot money? They are in it for the money. Honestly

Low carb support isn't widely offered from "brick and mortar doctors" is the reason. Or do you think these patients never went to their primary doctor for treatment and just stumbled upon their website? There's no doubt they're making (or are going to make) shedloads of money but their patients aren't being harmed and many are getting better than expected outcomes.

Hard to find fault with that.
    A quick post regarding an exciting study that dropped today in the release of Virta Health's one year data on the impact their intensive lifestyle counselling, coupled with their ketotic diet, had on patients with type 2 diabetes.

The results were impressive.

Of the 262 patients who started the year long study, 83% finished, and of those their metabolic biomarkers and weight improved dramatically. On average their hemoglobin A1C (a long term measure of blood sugar) dropped from 7.6 to 6.3, type 2 diabetes medications other than metfromin dropped from 56.9% to 29.7%, and insulin was reduced or eliminated in 94% of subjects who started out on insulin, while sulfonylureas were eliminated entirely. Weight dropped an average of 30lbs. Insulin resistance as measured by HOMA-IR dropped by 55%, hs-CRP by 39%, and triglycerides by 24%. Though LDL did rise by 10%, HDL rose by 18% and apolipoprotein B was unchanged.

All this to say that if you have type 2 diabetes, and you're motivated to make lifestyle changes, Virta health's program definitely appears to be worth considering.

http://www.weightymatters.ca/2018/02/motivated-to-change-your-lifestyle-and.html

THANK YOU!!
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    4ksi3lagh6qy.gif

OMFSM! I can't stop staring at this :D:D:D
  • Liamsm0m
    Liamsm0m Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I think if you like it & it works for you, then stick with it.

I feel better with less carbs. I also feel better when those carbs are whole grain or don’t have a lot of fat attached to them. I don’t and won’t avoid them completely but I see why some do.

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Liamsm0m wrote: »
    I think if you like it & it works for you, then stick with it.

I feel better with less carbs. I also feel better when those carbs are whole grain or don’t have a lot of fat attached to them. I don’t and won’t avoid them completely but I see why some do.

You aren't suggesting low carb (especially not keto levels) AND low fat, are you? That's not really a sustainable diet. Or are you using a confusingly narrow personal definition of carbs, since carbs are in all foods with starches or sugars as a part of their calories: fruit, veg, tubers, beans and lentils, pulses, dairy (unless it's basically just the fat, like butter or cheese or heavy cream), and even nuts have substantial carbs.

I think keto is a diet that works for some, and my view is that it can be done healthfully when it includes as many non starchy veg as possible and gets a significant amount of the fat from non animal sources (although I certainly ate meat, including lots of fish, eggs, and dairy when trying keto). But it's necessarily high fat.
  • lleeann2001
    lleeann2001 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    im thirsty.
  • mummy_h
    mummy_h Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    What is keto
This discussion has been closed.