Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Keto diet = good or bad

Replies

• Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,902 Member
    zeejane03 wrote: »
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    I'm airing one last thought now that the "conversation" seems to be over. Something that bugs the heck out of me is how I've seen some keto sites (and heard people) present it. That ketovale site ..."Join our movement"...

What movement? It's a way someone chooses to eat, not a political/religious/gonna save your soul thing. It's food.

Sounds almost cult like from some people
    , so I really appreciate the folks who just call it what it is.

Ok, done now lol.

You might enjoy reading the book, Diet Cults, by Matt Fitzgerald. He talks about this quite a bit, very interesting stuff!

It might frighten me too :D Thanks zeejane :)
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    I'm airing one last thought now that the "conversation" seems to be over. Something that bugs the heck out of me is how I've seen some keto sites (and heard people) present it. That ketovale site ..."Join our movement"...

What movement? It's a way someone chooses to eat, not a political/religious/gonna save your soul thing. It's food.

Ok, done now lol.

You might enjoy reading the book, Diet Cults, by Matt Fitzgerald. He talks about this quite a bit, very interesting stuff!

I've read over 50 books on dieting/nutrition and this one is on my very short list of ones that I recommend :) I've borrowed it a couple times from the library, so maybe check around and see if you can find a copy to borrow? It's a quick read!
  • Phirrgus

Ok, done now lol.

I've read over 50 books on dieting/nutrition and this one is on my very short list of ones that I recommend :) I've borrowed it a couple times from the library, so maybe check around and see if you can find a copy to borrow? It's a quick read!

I'll check it out for sure. I tend to enjoy reading that deals with the psychology behind certain things, so it's right on for me.

It's only $12 on Amazon, and from the short preview, I like it already.
    The first clue that that is a fallacy is the sheer variety of diets advocated. Indeed, while all of these competing views claim to be backed by “science,” a good look at actual nutritional science itself suggests that it is impossible to identify a single best way to eat. Fitzgerald advocates an agnostic, rational approach to eating habits, based on one’s own habits, lifestyle, and genetics/body type.

:)
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member

Ok, done now lol.

Yeah, that's a great book. Hadn't thought about it for a while.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Sounds almost cult like from some people, so I really appreciate the folks who just call it what it is.

Ok, done now lol.

That does sound creepy....

I'm hoping it refers to the movement to have low carb or keto recognized as a healthy diet choice that can treat hyperinsulinemia and CVD, rather than getting ranked last by the Daily Mail. LOL

I've actually seen a Christian group built around keto. Being a Christian, that's particularly disturbing to me.
    https://www.fittoservegroup.com/why-combining-the-keto-diet-with-our-christian-faith-transformed-our-lives/
    I won't go into all the reasons that bothers me, suffice to say I would react the same way regardless of the WoE..

It's food, enjoy what we like and or need and or have available. That's not at you nvmomketo, just a general statement. 🙂

Huh. I suppose it is nice that their diet helped them strengthen their religious beliefs. It is almost like what the 7th day Adventists claim except they exclude most animal products instead if most of a macro.

It was interesting to read. What they said was God leading them I felt was my body leading me. Different interpretations I guess.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

Sounds almost cult like from some people, so I really appreciate the folks who just call it what it is.

Ok, done now lol.

I'm hoping it refers to the movement to have low carb or keto recognized as a healthy diet choice that can treat hyperinsulinemia and CVD, rather than getting ranked last by the Daily Mail. LOL

I've actually seen a Christian group built around keto. Being a Christian, that's particularly disturbing to me.
    https://www.fittoservegroup.com/why-combining-the-keto-diet-with-our-christian-faith-transformed-our-lives/
    I won't go into all the reasons that bothers me, suffice to say I would react the same way regardless of the WoE..

It's food, enjoy what we like and or need and or have available. That's not at you nvmomketo, just a general statement. 🙂

Huh. I suppose it is nice that their diet helped them strengthen their religious beliefs. It is almost like what the 7th day Adventists claim except they exclude most animal products instead if most of a macro.

It was interesting to read. What they said was God leading them I felt was my body leading me. Different interpretations I guess.

Vegetarianism is encouraged, but not required, for Seventh Day Adventists. The only actually prohibited foods are non-kosher meats. According to a recent study, only about 35% of Adventists identified as vegetarian or vegan. What they do encourage, and many seem to do, is eat a diet that includes lots of plant foods even if they are sometimes eating meat, fish, dairy, and eggs.

• Phirrgus

Ok, done now lol.

This is one of the more unsettling things I've read recently.

My post or the link? lol

Ok, done now lol.

So no "give us our daily bread" for them?

I wish I had thought of that :p

Ok, done now lol.

Absolutely. I'm not condemning or judging anyone at all...it's just such a radical departure from what I've been taught that it really jumped out at me.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

Ok, done now lol.

My post or the link? lol

Ok, done now lol.

Ok, done now lol.

Absolutely. I'm not condemning or judging anyone at all...it's just such a radical departure from what I've been taught that it really jumped out at me.

Sorry I was unclear! I was referring to the link, not at all to your post. :)
  • Phirrgus

Ok, done now lol.

My post or the link? lol

Ok, done now lol.

Ok, done now lol.

Sorry I was unclear! I was referring to the link, not at all to your post. :)

Thanks jane - I can be pretty obtuse and unclear at times, figured I better ask :)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member

Ok, done now lol.

Vegetarianism is encouraged, but not required, for Seventh Day Adventists. The only actually prohibited foods are non-kosher meats. According to a recent study, only about 35% of Adventists identified as vegetarian or vegan. What they do encourage, and many seem to do, is eat a diet that includes lots of plant foods even if they are sometimes eating meat, fish, dairy, and eggs.

Interesting. I did not realize this. Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.