March 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,001 Member
    Options
    @polskagirl01 Pretty cool running art. You said you were super slow. I think seeing a herd of wild boar would have made me pick up the pace a bit. Glad they just wanted you to leave and didn't chase you. That really would have quickened your pace.

@zeesparrow Hope you get good news from the vet soon!!!
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »

In the night, my right foot ached when I got up to use the restroom. Still did this morning. The stretch my podiatrist gave me for my arthritic, ill-aligned foot bones helped some, but it was still there. Jogging the hallway while my eggs cooked, it was noticeable but not gait-altering. Then I realized I didn't have any aches anywhere else.

That means the foot hurt is loud enough to drown out all the normal training ache muscle grumbling. I wrestled with denial for a while. Poked at the foot, and it hurt where I poked the 3rd metatarsal. Other foot was fine. Called the podiatrist and made an appointment. Maybe he'll tell me it's just a tendon, but let's not run my 8 miles today until I know.

X-rays were negative, which is normal for a perfectly aligned, brand new stress fracture. The pain to touch is consistent with an oblique stress fracture in the 3rd metatarsal. Standard prognosis is 6 weeks to recover, with proper immobilization. Could I get better faster than that? Maybe, but no way can I run Boston. If I try, I can probably run through the pain. Do that long enough, and I can turn this into a compound fracture.

So this is my final running report for March. Stick a fork in me, I'm done.

@MobyCarp oh frustrating and what crap timing. However if you manage to get a compound fracture from running, you HAVE to take photos because that would be impressive (I assume this is tongue in cheek). I gather you have had this before? or have you got medical background I've missed (sorry if I have). You are right about stress fractures not showing. Hopefully it clears up fast for you.

ETA YOU ARE NOT A FAILURE!!! life and *kitten* happens. I am worried though that you are giving up that easily. How certain that the pain is a stress fracture? We all know we can get odd strains that clear up as quickly as they came. I would hesitate to give up on your main goal on one x-ray and the opinion of a podiatrist. Maybe this is crap advice, so please ignore me if you wish to do so, but at the moment there is no guarantee its a stress fracture. it could still be a strain. You have only had this pain for less than 24hrs. Take a few days off, then see how it goes. Don't give up yet, you are still well within being able to do Boston. Or better yet, you are in America, insist on a bone scan. It will demonstrate if its a stress fracture or not then you will know where to go.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Oh @MobyCarp you are anything BUT a failure. This is not what you need, but you’ve learnt from the past and won’t be pushing your luck. The cat will reap the benefits of your bad luck
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @girlinahat I’m going to look up that film. Sounds inspiring.

@HonuNui hugs my friend, and hugs to your friend.

@MobyCarp .... *sigh* well that’s unfortunate timing. Just one more thing to add to the laundry list of things we can overcome.

@Lazy_Bones_85 Hope that the lump it’s nothing. Or anything that can be resolved easily. Like you I become rather attached to my cats. They are my constant loyal companions. Best wishes.

I’m just sitting back, eating ice cream, watching y’all run.... you look good out there. Keep at it. (Except you , Kevin and Jeremiah -heal up. Go cry on the cathartic thread for injured runners if you need to get it out. It kinda helps). Then order new shoes and pick a come back race, tweak your macros and calories for recovery... don’t give up. Maybe have some ice cream.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,001 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    @MobyCarp Oh no! That really stinks! I hope it heals quickly and you don't miss too much training or too many races!
  • zeesparrow
    zeesparrow Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp Drat! I cannot begin to fathom how much that sucks... so sorry!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @polskagirl01 hey that is cool! Good job!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @MobyCarp Yuck. Timing sucks, but I think you are being smart about it. Probably smarter than I would be. :)
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Date...........Run.......Walk.........Pushups
    03/01........00M.......3.5M........30
    03/02........20M.......0.0M........00
    03/03........00M.......0.0M........00 *injury*
    03/04........06M.......0.0M........00
    03/05........04M.......1.0M........00
    03/06........00M.......0.0M........25
    03/07........11M.......0.0M........00
    03/08........16M.......0.0M........00
    03/09........09M.......0.0M........00
    03/10........09M.......0.0M........00
    03/11........00M.......3.5M........00
    03/12........07M.......3.5M........00
    03/13........11M.......3.5M........4x10
    03/14........11M.......4.0M........0
    03/15........00M.......3.5M........4x10
    03/16........00M.......0.0M........00
    03/17........11M.......0.0M........00
    03/18........00M.......3.5M........00
    03/19........06M.......3.5M........5x10
    03/20........11M.......0.0M........0
    03/21........00M.......3.5M........00
    03/22........00M.......0.0M........3x15
    03/23........26M.......0.0M........0
    03/24........00M.......0.0M........0 Fire!
    03/25........00M.......0.0M........3x15
    03/26........07M.......0.0M........0
    03/27........11M.......3.5M........0

---MTD: 36.5 miles walking, 167 miles running, and 0KM resting

Upcoming Races
    Steel Challange 5k - May 2019
    Pittsburgh Marathon - May 2019
    Glacier Ridge 50k Trail Race - May 2019

202? - Disney World Dopey! (if can raise funds)

2019 GOAL: Knock a full hour off my 50k time at Glacier Ridge.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp That's some awful news, but you appear to have the mental toughness to accept it and move forward toward Boston in 2020. Be strong.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp Oh no! How disappointing for you!

@HonuNui Thinking of you and wishing you peace.

@Lazy_Bones_85 hoping you get good news - the problem with googling what it could be is that in your fears all the things can be true at once, while in reality only one thing is happening. Cats do commonly get weird but not dangerous lumps, mine lived with fatty tumors for years. I hope yours has something similarly simple and not scary.