April 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @amymoreorless Your race stuff looks great! Our setup is half store bought and half home made. The medal rack wasn’t cheap but has enough room that it should last us a while, and the collage frame was a couple of bucks at Ross with chalkboard paper used to make the chalkboard. Still need to fill in those PRs! Our bibs go in an inexpensive expandable binder with a photo on the front.
    1pd63r0y1ugp.jpeg

I REALLY like this one.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,957 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile You are right. I'm sure there are now no mice in the basement. Now to evict the snake. I'm glad the park finished the bathrooms. I have a feeling the spiders will find a way in, but hopefully not the skunk. The black widow over the light switch is not good. That could be really dangerous if you couldn't see it. Yikes. The good thing about the runners is that they probably won't remember you the next time you see them. :wink:
    I love your race stuff display!!

@PastorVincent Love your display too!

I guess, if I ever get any medal, I'll need to figure out something too.

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Did someone mention menopause? I just today realised some weird stuff is going on that explains some other weird stuff! :smiley:

Avidkeo wrote: »
    Has anyone seen @orphia around or have I just been missing her posts?

Hi @Avidkeo :smile: :heart: Thanks for thinking of me!

I'm around. Just haven't been posting about running a lot, after devouring everything I could read about it for 3 years, I think I'm up to date. :smiley:

I don't have any events planned.

Bit evented-out after 4 HM events in 5 weeks in Nov-Dec.

Still doing parkrun every week, and being Run Leader once every 2 weeks for our running club. Got lots of other things going on like my mum leaving town, and my art (won a prize, sold some more art, volunteering at our local gallery, doing social media). In some publicity this week too, for a quit-drinking organisation, and parkrun.

My longest run in January was 30 km.

I did a 22 km run in February.

I did two HM distance runs in March.

Really, really, really just enjoying running for pleasure lately!

YAY!
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Love the medal racks! Mine are a mess, hanging up, but a mess.

4/1 - rest day
    4/2 - 4.5 miles + strength training/legs
    4/3 - 5 miles
    4/4 - strength training / upper

9.5 / 70 miles
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    What’s a nettle @girlinahat ? Sounds like what we call a sticker or burr (I think the native okies have another name for them). ETA found it “sandbur “.

Thorny seeds off plants and grasses that poke and cling to everything? We have several here. Some as large as a few centimeters (the rough cockelbur) and the small grass stickers that you don’t dare go barefooted around. Then the annoying little one that hitch-hike on your socks and never some off in the wash and manage to weave themselves in to the sock fabric permanently.

And don’t forget spear grass. An all time favorite for kids at recess.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    oh wow I'd completely forgotten about nettles! @Elise4270 they're plants with leaves that sting like kitten!
    Another one for my list of reasons not to return to the UK more than strictly necessary.
    Especially now we have Easter eggs in Spain :-D
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Wait, what, you don't have nettles in the US?
    Their sting feels kind of like an instant sunburn, with an itchy rash as a bonus.
    I got burned so many times as a kid... Still do as an adult, because they seem to like growing near geocaches :D
    But from what I heard they aren't as bad as poison ivy, so I guess I shouldn't complain about them too much ^^
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Has anyone seen @orphia around or have I just been missing her posts?
    She's still around, blogging and logging stuff, just hasn't posted on here lately :)
    Edit: oops, just saw she posted above. Hi!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    oh wow I'd completely forgotten about nettles! @Elise4270 they're plants with leaves that sting like kitten!
    Another one for my list of reasons not to return to the UK more than strictly necessary.
    Especially now we have Easter eggs in Spain :-D

Hmmm, I can’t think of any... guess I’m going to have to google them. Interesting. We definitely have poison ivy, poison sumac, and poison oak. Although i had a botany class which taught poison oak and ivy were the same plant. They just adapted to ivy or tree-like, sun or shade Okie dokie.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @elise4270 - no, not burrs - we have stuff like that, like goosegrass you throw at your friends so they walk around with it stuck to them, or little seedheads that animals get stuck.

no, nettles - (latin name urtica dioica) are about a metre high, some with little white flowers, usually in the hedgerows and rough ground. Touch them even lightly and you'll know about it - you'll get stung and come out with tiny little white welts. the sting lasts for ages. That's why most people wear long leggings to run off road.

nettle tea is very good for you - high in vitamin C I hear, and nettle soup is nice, but first catch your nettle. :D
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @girlinahat ya we have a few plants that are rather prickly. One fits that description and produces small purple flowers, some do have white. Almost like a milk-weed, but prickly-er. I dont know that they sting as bad though. You can grab them low, cuss a little and pull them up. You can keep them! Haaha!