April 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    @rusgolden huge congrats on your 10K PR and 1st place AG! 48:06 is an impressive time!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    *makes mental note to send @Elise4270 some nettles in a jar...*

@7lenny7 - we use dock leaves for that same purpose of jewelweed. It usually grows nearby, probably just a placebo but we do it anyway.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    @elise4270 - no, not burrs - we have stuff like that, like goosegrass you throw at your friends so they walk around with it stuck to them, or little seedheads that animals get stuck.

no, nettles - (latin name urtica dioica) are about a metre high, some with little white flowers, usually in the hedgerows and rough ground. Touch them even lightly and you'll know about it - you'll get stung and come out with tiny little white welts. the sting lasts for ages. That's why most people wear long leggings to run off road.

nettle tea is very good for you - high in vitamin C I hear, and nettle soup is nice, but first catch your nettle. :D

I use my hubby's work gloves, dry them out and make tea ;)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    we also have nettles and i found a few in the PNW hiking.

i react poorly to them.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @rusgolden fantastic performance!! You gotta be stoked about that!
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    @KatieJane83 I’m running in those Glycerins now. Actually have been since they came out. I do well in Glycerins that I’m scared to try anything different, though I tried the Ghost sneakers because they are a bit cheaper. The Glycerins feel more comfortable to me.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    rusgolden wrote: »

I exceeded my goal and I exceeded my expectations for the 10K race on Sat. My previous 10K PR was 52:01 and I felt I could slide in under 50 minutes. I knew the race ended on an incline the last mile, so I went out a bit faster the first couple miles to build a cushion, but then pretty much kept up that pace throughout and ended up with a new PR of 48:06, so almost 4 minutes off the previous PR. This was good enough for 1st in age group out of 6 and 16th overall out of 184.

W00T! Well done!
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    @KatieJane83 I’m running in those Glycerins now. Actually have been since they came out. I do well in Glycerins that I’m scared to try anything different, though I tried the Ghost sneakers because they are a bit cheaper. The Glycerins feel more comfortable to me.

Same! I have a really hard time finding shoes that don't cause numbness in my feet. I've tried to find other options so I can have a varied rotation but it's a challenge. Only other shoes I've had success with are Altra Lone Peak trail shoes. I keep meaning to try their road shoes.
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    rusgolden wrote: »

I exceeded my goal and I exceeded my expectations for the 10K race on Sat. My previous 10K PR was 52:01 and I felt I could slide in under 50 minutes. I knew the race ended on an incline the last mile, so I went out a bit faster the first couple miles to build a cushion, but then pretty much kept up that pace throughout and ended up with a new PR of 48:06, so almost 4 minutes off the previous PR. This was good enough for 1st in age group out of 6 and 16th overall out of 184.

W00T! Well done!

This @rusgolden ! CONGRATS!
  • simcon1
    simcon1 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    @girlinahat like @mbaker566 mentioned we do have nettles in the PNW, and we have earthquakes too! Not so many poisonous snakes in western Washington though, so at least there’s that.

I’m so inspired by the question of them month! My medals are just hanging up randomly on hooks—including one at my work, because I did a run they have every year on campus, and the medals came in late, and so I guess they sent all the ones they could through campus mail. I kind of like it there, though—reminds me that I have a life beyond work when I’m feeling overwhelmed by responsibilities.