Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• melissafeagins
    melissafeagins Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    First thunderstorm of spring 2019 is in the books. The weather guys didn't predict it and my dog is a nervous wreck now. She hates thunder.

Eww! I bet you guys don't need much more rain. How much damage did all the flooding do by the previous rains?

Fortunately, not too much. There are some gnarly potholes that need fixing, and some water damage to the homes close to creeks, but by now, everyone who lives in them knows not to use the basement. Unfortunately, my neighbors had water in their basement because their foundation wasn't sealed properly. We are a mile from the river and up on the hill, they think they have their drainage issues fixed and the basement sealed. I think they have a tree they need removed or it will happen again, but it's not my house.
    It's supposed to be sunny the rest of this week, so maybe we won't be in too much trouble.
  • melissafeagins
    Options
    @kellyjellybellyjelly you made me curious so I checked our local almanac data. We ended 2018 with 12" more than our annual average rainfall and are 7.3 inches over our average so far for 2019. We definitely don't need more rain just yet.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Well, we had "The baby talk". I've got the poor guy pretty freaked out. But hopefully maybe in my favor. The idea of kids terrifies him. He said he doesn't want to say anything that would break my heart. ( His knee jerk response is HELL NO with a side of F THAT). I've left the conversation alone for a few days now, and he's the one who's bringing it up. Saying things like " If this is what you want then we need to...>insert preperation plan here<." and stuff like that. We were at walmart I told him I wanted to look at the ladies clothes, and he says " I don't wanna!" started heading the wrong direction. I say " Let's go this way". And he goes " Uh isn't the BABY department over here??" "No honey, I said LADIES department" :lol::joy: l Now granted, we have a friend and a cousin who's pregnant now, and baby showers are next month, but still. It was pretty funny to me. So maybe there's hope.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Babies are awesome, and hard, and a time-suck, and pure love in a tiny bundle.
  • melissafeagins
    edited April 2019
    Options

What Quik said. I'm glad he's coming around. When he gives you something to do as far as planning, make a start on that.

What about your job? = check into it with your HR department. Does short term disability pay out during maternity leave? If so, pick it up before you are pregnant.

What about daycare? = start checking with your friends with babies about what they like and do not like about their daycares.

What about paying for college? = Google 529 education plans. And start adding $ to a savings account that can be moved to one after baby is born. If you need the money to pay your deductible for delivery, that's fine too.

Can you tell I had four kids? LOL.

ETA: involve him in these planning questions too. He will feel better the more involved he is. Men like control.
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options

Yup, this!
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,406 Member
    Options
    Well, we had "The baby talk". I've got the poor guy pretty freaked out. But hopefully maybe in my favor. The idea of kids terrifies him. He said he doesn't want to say anything that would break my heart. ( His knee jerk response is HELL NO with a side of F THAT). I've left the conversation alone for a few days now, and he's the one who's bringing it up. Saying things like " If this is what you want then we need to...>insert preperation plan here<." and stuff like that. We were at walmart I told him I wanted to look at the ladies clothes, and he says " I don't wanna!" started heading the wrong direction. I say " Let's go this way". And he goes " Uh isn't the BABY department over here??" "No honey, I said LADIES department" :lol::joy: l Now granted, we have a friend and a cousin who's pregnant now, and baby showers are next month, but still. It was pretty funny to me. So maybe there's hope.

This is good! I would take that as acceptance and he is already planning! That or he is trying to freak you out into changing your mind. That’s if Mel’s comment hasn’t already done that.
    Even I just read that and was a bit like WHOA!
  • melissafeagins
    Options
    Lois_1989 wrote: »

This is good! I would take that as acceptance and he is already planning! That or he is trying to freak you out into changing your mind. That’s if Mel’s comment hasn’t already done that.

I didn't mean to freak either of you out, Lois. It was just stuff I know are the first parenting questions. And if you do your research before a positive pregnancy test, you will feel less overwhelmed by these things. (And the whole maternity leave thing is different in the UK anyway so my questions about that don't apply to you.)
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,406 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options

I didn't mean to freak either of you out, Lois. It was just stuff I know are the first parenting questions. And if you do your research before a positive pregnancy test, you will feel less overwhelmed by these things. (And the whole maternity leave thing is different in the UK anyway so my questions about that don't apply to you.)

It didn’t freak me out, more ground me.

Uh, I don’t know, I would say they do all apply. Maybe swap the college one for saving for a first property. They announced the other day that the average person in England will spend 10 years saving enough money for a deposit to buy their first property. The only way we did is through inheritance.
  • spamarie
    spamarie Posts: 2,825 Member
    Options

Don't worry Lois, half of that doesn't apply to us Brits and the other half I am sticking my head in the sand and going lalalala!
  • spamarie
    Options
    I would say, it's good to plan but don't get too bogged down in the details. I kept reminding myself, most people do this, and most people manage one way or another!
  • spamarie
    Options
    I burnt my forearm today. Got a big three inch long red blister. Well done me, winning at life.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    spamarie wrote: »
    I burnt my forearm today. Got a big three inch long red blister. Well done me, winning at life.

Ouchie! Sorry. :'(
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options

Youch!!
  • melissafeagins
    Options

Don't worry Lois, half of that doesn't apply to us Brits and the other half I am sticking my head in the sand and going lalalala!

Don't leave your head in the sand too long. They are teenagers before you know it.
  • melissafeagins
    Options

Owwww! But better you than one of the kiddos. Keep an eye on it to be sure it doesn't get infected.
  • melissafeagins
    Options
    * thing bit Hong. Dr. Hong is a good cardiothoracic surgeon.. And I was answering emails about him. Sorry
  • melissafeagins
    Options
    Also, this could be a long week. Plate in the Bathroom Girl is on kitchen duty.