Do you drink diet soda?

Options

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    https://cheatsheet.com/health-fitness/diet-soda-is-bad-for-your-gut-health-plus-other-reasons-to-avoid-the-drink.html/

Perhaps changes in the gut microbiota is one reason some say diet drinks to not agree with them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_microbiota

The human microbiome studies are relative new in medical science and sometimes studies bring up more questions than answers. I am starting to think keto's impact on the human microbiome is one of the diets side effect that can bring health improvements at least in my case.

We do not have a clear understanding of the trillions of things living inside of us to keep us healthy or unhealthy work together. Changes in the microbiota could be a clue as to why diet drinks can lead to weight gain in some people and not in others perhaps. The human microbiota may be the 'debate' of the next 30 years.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    No. It's poison in a can and you have the pleasure to pay a corporation to slowly kill yourself! It's like smoking in that regard. Weird chemicals, etc. This goes for all soda - diet or regular.

Could you post some science to back up that claim please? What is in "all soda" that is slowly killing us and makes it like smoking? Thanks!

Stop being a sheep ;)
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    JetJaguar wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    keenest37 wrote: »
    No because it tastes like poison and soda is crap.

What does poison taste like and which poisons have you tried?

Well, I've spent the last few years building up an immunity to iocane powder, but then again it has no odor and no taste.

You win
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    I do, but I need to stop.

Why is that?
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    It says toxins and not poison, but can I use it here anyway?!?

ysbgr5ztqyjo.jpeg

You must work for Coke or Pepsi!

You're entertaining.
  • kodiakke
    kodiakke Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    kodiakke wrote: »
    Well, ever since I contributed to this thread, I've remembered diet sodas as an option. So thanks! I've started to cycle it back in as an option (about 20% Coke Zero : 80% Lacroix Lime).

Heyyyyyyyyyy, you're not in So Cal, are ya? We're trying to pawn off a couple cases of the La Croix Lime. :)

GDI! I left there last year!!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    kgeyser wrote: »
    I do, but I need to stop.

Why is that?

Why do you think I need to keep drinking it?
  • aegean2
    aegean2 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I very rarely drink water. Only when there's nothing else available. I drink diet sodas almost exclusively, though I have been known to drink club soda on occasion. I like my carbonation, and I drink about 2 2-liter bottles per day as a minimum (about 12 cans I guess). I 've been drinking that much for the last 17 years or so, with regular coke the decade before. I got MFP 8 months ago, and lost 77lbs so far, but with no reduction in diet soda intake, so it doesn't affect my weight loss one way or the other.

That said, it has an impact on my wallet, but then so would smoking, if I did that. Diet soda is my vice.

P.S. Yeah, I do get the occasional cavity, but no more than expected.
  • rossbaker2_sc
    rossbaker2_sc Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I drank diet soda through the first 5 months or so of my weight loss and lost 90 or so pounds. I started to plateau so I was looking for something to mix it up and so I cut those out and promised myself if I drank any I would count them like regular sodas. When I had soda cravings at work I dealt with it by filling up a 32 oz bottle and drinking water instead.

It was incredible the difference that made. I had almost no cravings throughout the day, stopped snacking, had a ton more energy to work out and went from losing about 2.5 pounds a week through the beginning of the year to jumping back up to 4-5 pound losses per week.

You can obviously do it either way but I'm really happy in my post-diet coke life.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    serge_sc wrote: »
    I drank diet soda through the first 5 months or so of my weight loss and lost 90 or so pounds. I started to plateau so I was looking for something to mix it up and so I cut those out and promised myself if I drank any I would count them like regular sodas. When I had soda cravings at work I dealt with it by filling up a 32 oz bottle and drinking water instead.

It was incredible the difference that made. I had almost no cravings throughout the day, stopped snacking, had a ton more energy to work out and went from losing about 2.5 pounds a week through the beginning of the year to jumping back up to 4-5 pound losses per week.

You can obviously do it either way but I'm really happy in my post-diet coke life.

Yeah, caffeine can be a killer when it comes to energy crashes.
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I drink one or two diet pops per day because I like it. Coke Zero is my preferred drink. I also drink water, but usually flavor one or two bottles with Wyler's light lemonade singles. I just don't care for plain water unless I'm working out or have a seriously powerful thirst.
  • SoaringOccamy
    SoaringOccamy Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I do when I'm in the mood for soda. I also sometimes have unsweetened sparkling flavored water. I am very picky on what I will drink at any given time and it very much depends on my mood,but my weight loss plan requires that it be sugar free. I tire of things quickly and I am not a fan of water so I bounce around a lot from beverage to beverage, but my main staple is diet green tea.