JUST FOR TODAY -- One Day at a Time .... Daily commitment thread for 2019

Replies

• asclepsia
    asclepsia Posts: 204 Member
    @johicks;c-
    Do you use the MFP blog? I can't copy the link, but here is the title to one article: 4-Week Intro to HIIT Walking Plan.
    Thanks for the tip; I'll check it out. I have been walking every day for 20 minutes or more--last night I was out with friends, and didn't get my walk in, so I walked up and down my driveway in the dark for 20 minutes after I got home--is that crazy or what? But at least I got it in!
    @Snowflake_24 : Weight has come down a small amount, thanks to more careful calorie counting. Now I'm "stuck" on that number, but I'm thankful that it's not going up!

• clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    JFT Saturday
    1. Therapy exercises: lunges, push-ups, ankle lifts. Balance work. Feed cats. Meds. Tea!
    2. Catch up with emails; call B about getting together. Call mac store.
    3. Update JFT before leaving for Y by 8:30. BodyPump. Plan & log Sunday food.
    4. WRITE ESSAY. SUBMIT IT.
    5. Groceries. Take recycling. Wash car?
    6. Balance work. Therapy exercises: lunges, push-ups, calf raises. Gratitude journal. Meds. Floss, rinse, brush teeth. In bed by 9:45; devices off by 10:00.

Scale goals
    End of 2017: 174.6
    End of 2018: 189.2
    January 2019: 186.0
    February 2019: 187.0
    Today: 191.4

Ongoing plans/ideas behind the cut
    1. Purchases: Go to Mac store and see if they can retrieve the files off the iMac. Look for an "ugly Christmas sweater" and a long-haired doll at thrift stores. Practice French braiding. Go to used bookstore and look for Design for How People Learn (Julie Dirksen), On Writing (Stephen King), Dying for a Paycheck (Robin Hardman), The Prince (tr. Tim Parks, Russell Price, or Robert Adams), The Secret Adversary (Christie). Add lamp and wobble board to grocery list.
    2. E2: What should the controlling ideas be in a study of world literature? Review world lit options. Create vocabulary lists for each unit that come from the texts used: Animal Farm, Julius Caesar, Wes Moore, I Am Malala. Find a way to incorporate changing words from one part of speech to another. Students need to know how to review multiple sources and synthesize information in order to draw a conclusion. Need practice with the difference between transitions and overlapping (at end of paragraph - "another issue is Y" vs "there are other issues besides X"). Quit using "in conclusion" and "I believe" and other writing-about-my-writing phrases. Confusion between direct/indirect objects and prepositional phrases. Use the UDHR and the Declaration of Independence to study paraphrasing; use that to front-load Machiavelli and how to deal with challenging texts. Confusion between everyday / every day and similar constructions.
    3. E1: Need practice with quoting & paraphrasing sources, identifying claims that would need support, use of last names for reference, and capitalization practice (common/proper nouns, titles). Difficulty using possessive nouns in their own writing. Honors: practice subject/object pronouns (my friend and I / my friend and me). Poetry: Revise "Songs are Poetry" handouts.
    4. Curriculum Development: Writing mini-unit. Review scholarly research on 5PE. (I think I can have this as an intro to the research unit so that they also get exposure to how quotes are integrated and cited.) Parallel structure; use of emotional language, specific detail. Use "Write About a Pebble" lesson from Atwell. How long should each unit take? Do research on characteristics: curiosity, persistence, resilience, creativity, responsibility, optimism, courage, integrity, authenticity, leadership, self-awareness, humility, compassion - others? Include grammarly check on essays! Review assessments. What is the purpose for each unit? What should the controlling ideas be in a study of world literature? Review world lit options.
    5. Professional Development: Write blog post weekly. Comment on 3 posts each week -Tu Th Sun? Check with PSC. Talk with Z about articles and/or conference proposals.
    6. Medical: Apr 25 Dentist. Apr 22 McC. Call to set up checkups with Dass (October). GET MAGAZINES FOR COLLAGES FROM DOCTORS.
    7. Theater: Audition for Mamma Mia ??? Need sub for May 2, opening day.
    8. House: Mineral oil on tile spots. Check with D about ceiling.
    9. Fun: Open beading on Thursdays. May 4 is SW Day and FCB Day. Coloring at library on Tuesday.

WFTY: Climbing. Fail, fail, fail. I'm not seeing ANY actual loss, since like freaking January. It's just fluctuation. I mean, it could be worse (knock on wood). I'm not gaining, as far as I can tell. But it's incredibly discouraging.

Positive thought: It could be worse.
  • johicks
    johicks Posts: 1,991 Member
    Yesterday was tough but worked out well.

I had to get up early to prepare for a scary meeting at 10.30. Preparing for it was tough because I was rather time pressured, and additionally I had my boss winding me up, micro-managing and continually reminding me to 'keep it simple' (which was irritating as I was in the process of simplifying it and he was getting in the way of me getting on with it...). He's very stressed about the problem we are trying to sort out at the moment and I think he is under lots of pressure in the new organisation. Which he deals with not by actually help me to solve the problem, but by micro-managing and trying to get me to do things his way (when I know far more about my area than he does).

Anyway - the meeting went well! I know this because when we got out he only had one minor criticism to make. ;)

But, I was absolutely exhausted. I didn't think I had slept badly the night before, but I must have done - or maybe I was just exhausted from several days of working under extreme stress - as I felt terrible, just exhausted. I could feel my brain not working properly. And when I feel that tired I also get really hungry with massive cravings for carbs and fat.

But, I dealt with it.

Whilst ideally I would have got back on with the problem after the meeting, I worked on something else instead to give myself a break. And I spent time planning and prioritising things I need to get done before my holiday, which made me feel much more in control. AND - and this is the best bit - I pretty much stuck to my food plan and didn't give in to the tired hunger cravings. I had a slightly larger and more stodgy meals than planned, but other than that I just told myself that extra food wasn't actually going to make me feel better. Which is a huge improvement from other occasions.

Then in the evening I flopped, so there aren't many smileys for the things I planned to do to then. But I overall I'm pleased with how I handled it!

Yesterday's commitments:

- Log everything I eat :neutral: Didn't log saucisson (see below)
    - Stick to food plan :neutral: As above
    - Be in the green :/ Due to larger meals
    - 3+ bottles water :smile:
    - No alcohol :smile:

- No eating whilst standing :/ Boyfriend have me some saucisson whilst preparing dinner. It was only small but I think it's quite calorie dense
    - Savour every bite :/ Cravings led to food wolfing yesterday really!
    - Talk back to sabotaging thoughts :smiley:
    - Give myself credit! :smile:
    - Stay positive :smile:

- 45+ minute lunch break :smile:
    - 2+ of French book, article, podcast :/ No energy
    - Finish work at 6pm latest :smile:
    - Postal vote form :smile:
    - Do some French OR hol planning :/ No energy!
    - Gratitude journal :smile:
    - Lights off by 11 :smile:

Today's commitments:

- Log everything I eat
    - Stick to food plan
    - Be in the green
    - 4 bottles water
    - Run to work

- No eating whilst standing
    - Savour every bite
    - Talk back to sabotaging thoughts
    - Give myself credit!
    - Stay positive

- 45+ minute lunch break
    - Meditate
    - 2+ of French book, article, podcast
    - Leave work by 6.30pm
    - Gratitude journal
    - Lights off by 11

Weekly calorie balance: 400 in red

Words for 2019: Mindful Moderation

How I practised Mindful Moderation yesterday: By not giving into tired hunger cravings

Today's positive thought: I am going to France for Easter weekend a week today!

Great attitude and self-talk. BE PROUD of yourself. You did do great. Imagine had you gave in during the day, it could've led into more than one bite and who knows what else. Keep working it!
  • johicks
    johicks Posts: 1,991 Member
    Okay... it's travel to the wedding and back home day!

JFT ~Saturday (4/13)
    Morning Affirmations
    Think ahead for next week: 2 days off, One gate event, Easter dinner?
    Check~in w/MFP pals
    Plan meals /Pack food
    Track
    Time w/hubby
    Pack / Shower
    Get on the road
    9:00am PIC
    12:00pm- Packed Snack
    3:00pm- Packed Snack
    5:00ish~ Reception Dinner ~ attempt to pre-log:
    Salad?
    3oz red meat
    NO Carb (save cals for cake)
    1/2C Veggie
    7:30pm. Pure chocolate PB Bar (OR No Bake Fake)

Home around 9pm. Make hot tea and GO TO BED!!

Jan~ Drink 8+ water
    Feb.~ Only 1 snack after dinner
    Mar.~ 15 min. walk outside
    April challenge. Say something positive: Getting in exercise is a plus, Having time with hubby is essential, and staying focused and on track is key for my weight loss journey. So I am not going to be myself up for not having enough time to do it all. I can only do what I can do.
  • korina75
    korina75 Posts: 297 Member
    Thank you for the welcome! I really like being able to check in with myself every morning and give myself some daily goals.

Sorry for those of you still dealing with snow/ice/storms! That really sucks. I moved to Virginia about 9 years ago from NY and I do not miss winter/spring up there at all. I used to hate spring the most because you would get a few days of nice weather and then bam, a snow storm, and it just felt like winter would never end. And nice weather makes it so much easier to get motivated, get outside etc. However, you will be loving summer weather while we are stuck inside in the AC because it's so fricking hot out. It all balances out! :) We are planning a trip up to NY/Montreal this July to visit family and to escape the heat for a week.

@Snowflake1968 Noom has been really helpful for sure. What I liked best about it was all the help with my underlying reasons for gaining weight/not taking care of myself properly. And to be fair, dieting does not work for me. I tend to be all or nothing with it and all always turns into nothing when entire food groups are eliminated or there are too many rules to follow. WW didn't work for me because it's not intuitive. I'd always have to look up points and I din't like the aspect of "free" foods bc I just know that isn't true. For me I needed help getting to the core of things because I was totally eating and drinking my feelings before. Emotional eating is seriously the toughest habit to break (and it likes to come back occasionally even after broken). I needed tools and ways to break the thought distortions. I've found that if I just let it go after (literally by meditating on it/distraction), no shame, no guilt (or I try) but just acknowledge and give yourself the same grace you'd give a friend, it helps. It can be such a vicious cycle. What I try to do now is when I want to eat something but I'm not actually hungry I'll sit and really try to think about what it is that I'm feeling. Boredom? Am I avoiding some big feelings? Sabotaging myself? Or am I really hungry? I don't know if this will help you but it helps me so I wanted to share. Ignore it if it's annoying! :#

@maryrobinson40 I am so so sorry for your loss. Thinking of you.

@AJB1014 OMG, coming back to reality and getting into the swing of things after vacation is so hard! I always need a few days to readjust. Hope today is a better day!

@cory17 Credit card fraud and insurance companies-2 of the worst things to deal with! Hope you get some peace from it this weekend.

@Bex953172 Dealing with sick kids/family is incredibly draining. Prime emotional eating time! I hope everyone feels better fast and make sure you are giving yourself a lot of slack. That is rough!
  • korina75
    korina75 Posts: 297 Member
    Also, forgive me if I leave people out/don't respond, I'm really new at online communities-haven't participated in a long while.
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,048 Member
    korina75 wrote: »
    Also, forgive me if I leave people out/don't respond, I'm really new at online communities-haven't participated in a long while.

Hey, what is noom?

And dont worry, theres so many posts on here its hard to keep up and respond to them all!
    But thanks for the shout out! Xx
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,264 Member
    I did well yesterday food wise. Walk, laundry & something else didn’t happen. Walk was cancelled for rain and evening plans got changed so I could see Vs play (again).

Crew Regatta today at a Lake. It’s a little chilly, but mostly nice. I usually get a lot of steps in at Regattas but this doesn’t lend itself well to that.

Big obstacle today is solo time in the car. I binge when no one is around and I’m bored. I’ll stop at multiple gas stations so it doesn’t look bad. How sad is that? But I feel good about today. More focused on my goal of 120s by beginning of August. In other words that’s when we are going to the beach. I don’t tan so o gotta tone.

JFT Saturday

- Up at 5:00 to drive to regatta
    - Don’t binge on the solo car ride
    - Don’t over eat from vendors at regatta
    - Cheer
    - May stay for whole thing, may leave after her last race.
    - Don’t binge on the way home
    - Reasonable dinner
    - One snack max after dinner
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    @maryrobinson40 Thinking of you, your positivity even during hard times is such an inspiration.

@korina75 Where in NY are you from? I'm from White Plains and Ithaca, but have lived in FL for the last 9 years. You are so right about being stuck in the AC during summer months, it's already beginning to feel like an oven outside! I've only been part of this group for a couple months, it's hard to keep up with everyone but nobody will expect you to respond to everything, there's so many of us here it can be hard to keep up! I can usually only manage a couple a day, sometimes not at all, between the amount of time I have to post and my ADD getting the better of me LOL, but I care about everyone here and hope everyone knows I support them!

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,686 Member
    JFT - Friday April 12 Determined
    2L of water - 🙂
    Calories in green - 🙂
    Walk 1 Mile - not purposely but probably a lot more with my cleaning
    Plank Challenge - 👿
    5 Fruits and Veggies - 1/5
    Only 1 evening Snack - 👿 I did have a lot of calories though
    5 something at bathroom break - 👿
    Write in Journal. -🙂
    Do not disappoint myself, be conscious of my choices - 😏

JFT - Saturday April 13 Determined
    2L of water
    Calories in green
    Walk 1 Mile
    Plank Challenge
    5 Fruits and Veggies
    Only 1 evening Snack
    5 something at bathroom break
    Write in Journal
    Do not disappoint myself, be conscious of my choices

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,686 Member
    Shrinkingmama2 - “I will not boredom eat” this is one of my biggest issues! How are you doing it?

Cory17 - banks and credit cards can be such a pain to deal with! I hope it resolves in your favour.

Bex953172 - children are inherently selfish beings aren’t they? I understand your feeling alone. I hate trying to keep children quiet. I hope Ash feels better fast and I really hope you don’t get it.

Littleblackskirt- thanks for understanding and congratulations on the 1 pound loss! If you did a pound a week every week that is considered quite successful.

Faebert - have a great weekend. Sorry it was bad news from the lawyer.

Korina75 - maybe I’ll have to give Noom a shot! Thanks for sharing the insight into it, not annoying at all.

Asclepsia- I don’t think walking in your driveway is crazy, I walk in my living room all the time. My living room is tiny!

Clicketykeys - I’m sure it’s no consolation, but I’m right there with you. I need to get this turned around.

Johicks - have a great day at the wedding. It sounds like you have a good plan in place.

Nlmackey98- enjoy the regatta! I understand the car drives. I think if I’m in a car on a long trip I need to eat all the junk!

• aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Happy Saturday!! This week was SO busy at work, I am beat. I hope to get some things done this weekend but I also feel like I really just need some chill time. Sometimes I feel like I go too easy on myself when I say that, and that I should just be like "suck it up, you have things to do, adulting isn't easy", but I don't want to burn myself out on life either, so I often feel conflicted.

Positive thought for today: after being uncomfortably bloated for the last two weeks (this month's TOM symptoms were extra bad, this seems to happen every few months) I am finally almost back to normal, and I felt my strength returning in my last workout!

Yesterday 4/12:

1. Give Rukia her a.m. pills 😁
    2. Stay within calorie goal😁
    3. Go for a walk at lunch😁
    4. Finish work at 5:30 if at all possible😞 after 6, but got a lot done
    5. Give Rukia her p.m. pill😁
    6. Stay positive😁

JFT 4/13:

1. Give Rukia her a.m. pills 😁
    2. Stay within calorie goal
    3. Get a minimum of 5,000 steps
    4. Do workout
    5. Give Rukia her p.m. pill
    6. Brush Rukia (she's looking a bit raggedy lol)
    7. Bathe both dogs (Kya definitely rolled in something dead yesterday and stinks to all hell!)
  • lafayettenana
    lafayettenana Posts: 79 Member
    Feeling satisfied with my food choices yesterday and my 3 day streak of No wine or snacks after dinner. It's key for me and I do see downward movement on the scale! I am eliminating or reducing the carb side dish at dinner. Tonight we'll have mashed cauliflower instead of a half a baked potato with Mahi Mahi. Really appreciated the Gentle Fitness class offered at my gym yesterday- good core workouts without the excessive bouncing on my sore knees. Sunday I am going to check out the 7:00 AM class of Mobility Matters.

JFT 4/13/19
    Garden in the morning (my exercise for the day) , then off to see our grandson play baseball
    Be satisfied and happy with 1600 calories
    Read my book to be ready for book club
  • mirihawk
    mirihawk Posts: 34 Member
    Checking in this morning. Thankful for this group, haven't had one in a long time. Couldn't sleep last night, head hurts. Am going to hydrate and take my meds.

I'm waiting for the dishwasher repair person and trying not to feel less than about my house being a mess. And me being out of it due to lack of sleep, sigh.

Today: more dishes, one way or the other. Dinner date and a choir concert. Hopefully using the new instant pot to cook something, but perhaps going out to eat if the dishwasher repair doesn't go well. Taking all the meds and vitamins, and maybe having a short nap after the repair.

I ate very badly this week and didn't slick to my food plan. I'd like to do better - after weeks of getting enough fruits and veg, my tummy is upset about sugar and junk and things hurt.

Thanks for being here...
  • ShrinkingMama2
    ShrinkingMama2 Posts: 65 Member
    Good morning.

My day yesterday was a success but I found out that I should be eating a lot more protein and a lot less fat than I thought.

goals for today:
    -Find and buy protein powders and protein packed foods
    -Keep looking at success stories to stay motivated
    -BE ACTIVE
    -Drink 120 oz water
    -Stay on top of breastmilk supply by staying hydrated

Have a good Saturday!!!
  • GarysGirl81
    GarysGirl81 Posts: 34 Member
    Hope everyone is having a great wknd! Met my goals yesterday. Actually, exceeded them. I did 30 mins of cardio as I’m trying to increase that. So JFT:

1. 30 mins of cardio
    2. Stick to diet plan/within calorie goals
    3. Log everything
    4. Drink at least 24 ounces of water
    5. Meal prep
  • maryrobinson40
    maryrobinson40 Posts: 1,109 Member
    hi3f82tbz91g.jpeg
    hoc2t921gpws.jpeg
    tifyujc0y2sg.jpeg

• maryrobinson40
    maryrobinson40 Posts: 1,109 Member