For the love of Produce...

Options

Replies

• purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    u5ax9ju9irl7.jpg

Taro chip success!

Truth is that at first they came out not great. Dry but not crispy enough, and really flat tasting.

I re-crisped (stuck them in the hot but turned off oven) by lightly spraying with OO, and slathering in the ‘everyday’ seasoning I talk constantly about.

Now they are crave worthy.

I find that usually if I don’t like something baked/roasted/dried the first go round, it’s usually salvageable with a tiny bit of fat, more salt, and a second ‘firing.’
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    kl968ux56th7.jpg
    Pickled Golden Beets with Chile & grapefruit...

https://www.splendidtable.org/recipes/pickled-golden-beets-with-chili-and-grapefruit

Used dried chile because out of fresh. Started the whole project because I needed beet scraps to add to the broth I'm making, had too many green kitchen scraps and not enough color. Broth is first batch of 'veggie scrap broth' as a part of my new zero kitchen waste obsession.

Added kombu, and ginger/garlic/onion/Chinese peppercorn/dried shiitake.

The bag o scraps is (I think) mostly fennel, daikon, kale and collard ribs, mint and cilantro stems, red bell top, golden beet scraps. It will definitely be... interesting.
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    4tujkfsrlbiz.jpeg

Spring.
    Sweet peas, shaved.
    I lack the patience to do this myself but LOVE what it does to them. Had a prep chef so got to indulge!

Other current faves:
    Celeriac- spiralized, blanched/shocked, tossed with sesame oil/lime/soy dressing. Used it as a chilled noodle base, with spiralized daikon, for ‘not vermicelli’ lemongrass pork bowls.

Taro- Spiralized and cooked in hot bone broth (good), cubed and roasted (amazing), shaved and turned into chips (in oven now.)

Giant Dino Kale & cabbage leaves- Steamed very lightly, and layered atop nori, rice paper wrappers, and soy wrappers in the way one might use rice or vermicelli, then topped with fillings (avo, roasted mushrooms, shredded tofu, pork) and rolled (faux sushi and fresh rolls)

Ever thought about moving to Mississauga? ;)

Only every time you post dinner..

I could seriously use a food prepper lol

I should mention that my knife skills are not amazing. I chop onion by throwing it in the blender or processor and zapping a few times. *Rustic* is my specialty, if I can't mandoline it or otherwise shortcut. So as long as you are ok with imperfect brunoise, julinne, & batonette.. because my technical skils are sub-par, but my flavor profiles are 'inventive', 'brave' and occasionally accidentally genius. I make up in style points what I lack in technical mastery - or that's what I tell myself.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    kl968ux56th7.jpg

https://www.splendidtable.org/recipes/pickled-golden-beets-with-chili-and-grapefruit

Used dried chile because out of fresh. Started the whole project because I needed beet scraps to add to the broth I'm making, had too many green kitchen scraps and not enough color. Broth is first batch of 'veggie scrap broth' as a part of my new zero kitchen waste obsession.

The bag o scraps is (I think) mostly fennel, daikon, kale and collard ribs, mint and cilantro stems, red bell top, golden beet scraps. It will definitely be... interesting.

Thank you for sharing the recipe! Do you know the purpose of wax paper over jars, I've never used that in pickling, @purplefizzy? Three dogs that love every fruit and vegetable that comes across my kitchen and compost for the remains is my way of dealing with that. But sounds like an awesome way to repurpose discards!
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    4tujkfsrlbiz.jpeg

Spring.
    Sweet peas, shaved.
    I lack the patience to do this myself but LOVE what it does to them. Had a prep chef so got to indulge!

Other current faves:
    Celeriac- spiralized, blanched/shocked, tossed with sesame oil/lime/soy dressing. Used it as a chilled noodle base, with spiralized daikon, for ‘not vermicelli’ lemongrass pork bowls.

Taro- Spiralized and cooked in hot bone broth (good), cubed and roasted (amazing), shaved and turned into chips (in oven now.)

Giant Dino Kale & cabbage leaves- Steamed very lightly, and layered atop nori, rice paper wrappers, and soy wrappers in the way one might use rice or vermicelli, then topped with fillings (avo, roasted mushrooms, shredded tofu, pork) and rolled (faux sushi and fresh rolls)

Ever thought about moving to Mississauga? ;)

Only every time you post dinner..

I could seriously use a food prepper lol

I should mention that my knife skills are not amazing. I chop onion by throwing it in the blender or processor and zapping a few times. *Rustic* is my specialty, if I can't mandoline it or otherwise shortcut. So as long as you are ok with imperfect brunoise, julinne, & batonette.. because my technical skils are sub-par, but my flavor profiles are 'inventive', 'brave' and occasionally accidentally genius. I make up in style points what I lack in technical mastery - or that's what I tell myself.

Since I dont really know what any of these really mean, you are half fired.

Which is STILL 1/2 hired.
    I love a good challenge.
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    icemom011 wrote: »
    kl968ux56th7.jpg

Thank you for sharing the recipe! Do you know the purpose of wax paper over jars, I've never used that in pickling, @purplefizzy? Three dogs that love every fruit and vegetable that comes across my kitchen and compost for the remains is my way of dealing with that. But sounds like an awesome way to repurpose discards!

As I read it, the waxed paper serves to weigh the beets so that they stay submerged into the brine, under the lid I think.

I packed my jars so tightly that they weren’t going anywhere, so I skipped it.

Plus they will get devoured before food safety becomes a risk.
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    lj8gezm8jzb0.jpeg

Fresh/green garbanzo beans, skillet blackened.
    A first for me!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,843 Member
    Options

A first for me!

And your review of these is . . . ? :)

TIA!
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

A first for me!

And your review of these is . . . ? :)

TIA!

Meh. Interesting for novelty factor. The pods don’t pop open as easily as edamame and beans are less creamy. Still fun but not a likely repeat.
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    For all of you salad, spriralizer lovers out there, give yourself a favour and make a batch of chermoula. Make it, portion and freeze the rest. Make your salad, melt the chermoula so it is usable and toss. Best. Dressing. Evah.
    I do this. Each portion is about a TBSP and I portion in ice cube trays. When frozen pop out and place in a ziplog back. Also great on fish.

1 TBSP cumin
    3 garlic cloves minced
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 TBSP paprika
    1 lemon juice
    1 cup tightly packed cilantro/coriander chopped (stems and all)
    0.5 cup parsley chopped (stems and all)
    2 tbsp olive oil
    water to desired consistency. I like my to be like heavy cream.

Blend everything in a blender.

cgm74jgjbzmi.jpg

• purplefizzy
    Options
    vnzdtp006xk7.jpeg
    This is what 102$ will buy you in produce if you shop semi-carefully in my hood. Some fun indulgences that I splurged on.

Squash:
    Kabocha, spaghetti, calabeza

Standard veg:
    Onion
    Avocados
    Cauliflower head
    Giant purple sweet potato
    Giant red yam
    Zucchini
    Cabbage
    Persian cukes
    Chayote squash

Asian specialty:
    Thai baby eggplant
    King oyster shrooms
    Frozen edamame
    Frozen atemoya ‘sugar apple’
    Bitter Mellon
    Giant daikon
    Green papaya
    One squashy or melon thing I forgot to identify

Fruit, standards:
    Fuji apples
    Pomegranate
    Pears, 2 kinds

Fruit specialty:
    Fresh Giant coconut
    Plantains
    Mango
    Cape gooseberries
    Mamey!!!!!!!!

Herbs:
    Ginger
    Mint
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    For all of you salad, spriralizer lovers out there, give yourself a favour and make a batch of chermoula. Make it, portion and freeze the rest. Make your salad, melt the chermoula so it is usable and toss. Best. Dressing. Evah.
    I do this. Each portion is about a TBSP and I portion in ice cube trays. When frozen pop out and place in a ziplog back. Also great on fish.

1 TBSP cumin
    3 garlic cloves minced
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 TBSP paprika
    1 lemon juice
    1 cup tightly packed cilantro/coriander chopped (stems and all)
    0.5 cup parsley chopped (stems and all)
    2 tbsp olive oil
    water to desired consistency. I like my to be like heavy cream.

Blend everything in a blender.

cgm74jgjbzmi.jpg

It's on the butterflied grilled sea bream, roasted veggies and inside the pita 😀 my dinner tonight.

efk27bqsgl0v.jpg

Ooooooh I love sea bream! Must try!! Yum!!
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    vnzdtp006xk7.jpeg
    This is what 102$ will buy you in produce if you shop semi-carefully in my hood. Some fun indulgences that I splurged on.

Squash:

Standard veg:
    Onion
    Avocados
    Cauliflower head
    Giant red yam
    Zucchini
    Cabbage
    Persian cukes
    Chayote squash

Asian specialty:
    Thai baby eggplant
    King oyster shrooms
    Frozen edamame
    Bitter Mellon
    Giant daikon
    Green papaya

Fruit, standards:
    Fuji apples
    Pomegranate
    Pears, 2 kinds

Fruit specialty:
    Fresh Giant coconut
    Plantains
    Mango
    Cape gooseberries
    Mamey!!!!!!!!

Herbs:
    Ginger
    Mint

I love me a good produce haul ☺️
  • CassB0985
    CassB0985 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This looks amazing! I do love veggies, but just the basics. I would absolutely LOVE to learn about more as well as any tips and tricks! 🤤🤤🤤
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    My favorite way to make zucchini is cooked until black in a pan. Delicious. I think zucchini may be my favorite veggie.

Then I top with hot sauce, truvia, no salt salt, and onion powder. Usually I cook longer to get both sides nice and black, but I was in a rush and starving today, lol. So excited zucchini is down to 99 cents a lb here now!

Looks yummy! Do you oil the pan, use dry? About how long does it take to get charred?
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Kalex1975 wrote: »
    My favorite way to make zucchini is cooked until black in a pan. Delicious. I think zucchini may be my favorite veggie.

Then I top with hot sauce, truvia, no salt salt, and onion powder. Usually I cook longer to get both sides nice and black, but I was in a rush and starving today, lol. So excited zucchini is down to 99 cents a lb here now!

Looks yummy! Do you oil the pan, use dry? About how long does it take to get charred?

Nope! I just use a nonstick pan. I put directly in the pan and cook on high with the lid on, then flip once during cooking and keep the lid off to get the other side. Takes about 15 minutes on level 7 on my burner. (out of 10)
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    mg07030 wrote: »
    vnzdtp006xk7.jpeg

Squash:

Standard veg:
    Onion
    Avocados
    Cauliflower head
    Giant red yam
    Zucchini
    Cabbage
    Persian cukes
    Chayote squash

Asian specialty:
    Thai baby eggplant
    King oyster shrooms
    Frozen edamame
    Bitter Mellon
    Giant daikon
    Green papaya

Fruit, standards:
    Fuji apples
    Pomegranate
    Pears, 2 kinds

Fruit specialty:
    Fresh Giant coconut
    Plantains
    Mango
    Cape gooseberries
    Mamey!!!!!!!!

Herbs:
    Ginger
    Mint

It makes me feel sorta like a squirrel with a good stash of nuts feels, I imagine.
  • purplefizzy
    Options

Totally agree with deep heat.
    Love a bit of char.
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    mg07030 wrote: »
    vnzdtp006xk7.jpeg

Squash:

Standard veg:
    Onion
    Avocados
    Cauliflower head
    Giant red yam
    Zucchini
    Cabbage
    Persian cukes
    Chayote squash

Asian specialty:
    Thai baby eggplant
    King oyster shrooms
    Frozen edamame
    Bitter Mellon
    Giant daikon
    Green papaya

Fruit, standards:
    Fuji apples
    Pomegranate
    Pears, 2 kinds

Fruit specialty:
    Fresh Giant coconut
    Plantains
    Mango
    Cape gooseberries
    Mamey!!!!!!!!

Herbs:
    Ginger
    Mint

It makes me feel sorta like a squirrel with a good stash of nuts feels, I imagine.

Except squirrels forget where they placed their stash, you just need to figure out what to do with some of your stash :)

You speak truth.

Lessons this week:
    Bitter melon is a winner. Slices and salted, rinsed. Quick par-boil and then roasted with ginger/garlic/soy/sesame. It was still bitter but delish.

Plantain chips need work. Think I sliced them too thick. Was interested in the resistant starch content, but man those things are kcal dense. Won’t eat again anytime soon.

Purple daikon is super fun in ‘noodle bowls.’

Mamey was disappointing. I either didn’t let it get properly ripe or it was just a dud. It’s nature, stuff happens.

Coconut: the one I bought was not a flesh coconut, was a water coconut. Lesson learned.

Opo squash: nice. Crisp and refreshing raw.

Cape gooseberries/golden berries. Winner. ‘OMG’ worthy.