WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2019

Options

Replies

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,500 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Sue hope your headache flies away soon and your eyes feel better.
    Heather thanks! Love the pen's colors AND the style!
    pip congrats on the personal best max speed! You ROCK gal friend!
    Felicia, a Ukiah in Oregon? Wikipedia says the Oregon town was named after the California one and is also the name of the protagonist of a series of sf adventure novels. When we lived in Idaho, we saw a highway sign in a scrap yard that said "Ukiah" but never could find such a town. In California we were told it meant Deep Valley and was also transliterated as "Yokayo" the name of our elementary school.
    Rebecca "... definitely not motivating me" jerked a laugh right out of me. Thanks, I needed that!
    Lenora glad to hear from you, you know you can vent here in safety and love.
    Welcome Bonnie Lee from Vancouver BC
    Rori returning the love and energy to you with interest!

Wishing us all well, safe travels for those traveling, hugs for those of us who need them, and uh oh, oh no, not pip's BOOT?!?

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    walk one more step 3/31, 60 g protein 3/31, rx/vits 3/31, meditate 1/31, knee exercises 1/31, SWSY 0/9, play with Tumble 2/31, hang up or purge art 0/4 AF 3/31.
    Word for 2019: "GOOD" good attitude, good food, good times, good choices, good enough, feel good, GOOD! Word for May "pause" Thank you Barbie!
    05/03: LT: talk to vet-Y MT: buy sweets for Ray-Y ST: mail Becky's card-Y
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    morning checkin

✔️ 1. weighed 60 (up fluctuation from yesterday)
    ✔️2. tracked all yesterday I think
    ✔️ 3. 30 min stroll yesterday
    ✔️4. five minutes meditation yesterday and today
    ✔️ 5.Spent at least 2h on long term writing project yesterday
    ✔️6.produce at least 2 pages per day yesterday, sort of
    x 7. Take care of at least one shorter (1 pagish) writing or administrative task/bill, not really
    ✔️ 8. At least 15 min/day filing/cleaning. 1+ hour.
    x 9.average 1100 calories net. 445 in red

• Overall Feeling: okay, but under big pressure these next days
    • Tracking yesterday : I think I got all
    • Exercise yesterday: little stroll around the blocks in evening
    • 1100 calories net : was at 900+ at 2:30pm. I was already high in calories for the time. mindless snacking put me over. A colleague called for a long time about a union related thing. While on the phone I had a cookie a serving of dairy free ice cream and half a alcohol-free beer(bought by accident-the same brand does gf). I didn't find the call particularly unpleasant - but I know he's under major financial pressure and near the end of his rope, thought he didn't speak outright about it on the phone. He was looking for names of union contacts to possibly help him get an advance. (he worked only in the fall but his salary is spread over 12 months).
    • Long term writing 2hrs: yes
    • Long term writing 2 pages: yes and no, I started adding pages previously worked on to 17 very finished pages.
    • Short term writing/admin :not exactly, I just followed up on phone and by mail on thing from Thursday
    • Bright Spots today : decent night's sleep, meditated for about 15-20 minutes at 3:30 am when I couldn't sleep, that seemed to help me sleep better after, and wake up not too bad, am ready for gym, planning to go to library today and walk with friend tomorrow.

Today im grateful for
    1. correctors
    2. library
    3. gym nearby
    4. decent night's sleep
    5. managing okay financially for now
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    hi everyone, I enjoy your who am I stories very much.

a bit bummed about being in the red yesterday, but then I said 1100 net is average, so in theory I could go under today (consume as low as 1000 calories and get a little activity in). it is absolutely true for me that there need to be and allowance for variation in calories. there will be some high days, (event, eating out, slip). In WW they have the idea of dailies and weeklies, and splurges. that needs to be part of my way of working and I'm not sure how to figure that in.

Do any of you have a way you figure in "weeklies" or "fluctuations" in calories : different amounts of calories on different days to come to an all around average.

How do you set your goal in relation to such fluctuations in calories, and splurges.

In WW one of the premises is that one needs to calculate in splurges to make it sustainable. I'm of that mind.

thanks.

I have big pressure in writing. corrector wants everything by next Wednesday.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,931 Member
    Options
    Do any of you have a way you figure in "weeklies" or "fluctuations" in calories : different amounts of calories on different days to come to an all around average.

How do you set your goal in relation to such fluctuations in calories, and splurges.

When I was on a mission to lose weight, I kept the same goal all the time.

However, you could go with a weekly total rather than a daily total.

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    Machka: Your beach furniture is a cut above our benches on the coastal walk. I would love to have one of those, but fear that there would be a queue to use it. It looks like a perfect meditation perch.
    ☘️ Irish Terri

They've put in a number of new benches ... just normal-looking benches. But they've got two of these lounges now. Unfortunately they are some distance apart. I figured they should have done them in pairs so that a couple could sit together. :)

Machka in Oz

• bananasandoranges
    Options
    thanks terri and machka9
    got back to gym today. 25 min on the elliptical plus at least 30 min necessary walking today, possibly more.
    walking makes me feel chipper just after, but now I feel antsy.
    got to go to the library today to check some references for footnotes. not exciting. but the library is a very nice space with very lofty ceilings, and a nice café. it's raining rather steadily so I'm not excited about the scooter trip to the library: 20-30 min each way. oh, I hope there is not a strike. there have often been partial library strikes on Saturdays these past months.
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    :)
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,203 Member
    Options
    Lisa in AR: in Ireland, nowhere is more than a four or five hours drive away, we are only a couple of hours from from the Mournes, or the Fermanagh Lakelands, or the Giant’s Causeway, depending on which direction you travel. 😂
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Barbie that dog walk map looks motivating! Do you raise money for animal welfare through the walks?

I'm loving all the seaside pics, makes me daydream B)

Today I hope to get in a walk with bff to have a catch up and dish the dirt! Also have to mow the back yard, if only it would stop raining! We've have 20 out of 30 days of rain, ah makes the flowers grow :s:|

Tomorrow I am attending a "Boomers Expo" being held in a college setting. Here's a few of the offerings.

Room 1 - Balance Fitness with Lori Ginsberg

Room 2 - Manage Your Back Pain and Feel Good Again with Dr. Yili Huang and Dr. Joseph Lee

12:30-1:10pm:
    Room 1 - The NY State of Medical Marijuana with Dr. Bernard Lee

Room 2 - Take Control of Your Retirement with Paul Tramontozzi

Room 3 - The Good The Bad The Truth: Important News About Reverse Mortgages with Alice Tseng

1:30-2:10pm:
    Room 1 - Nutrition as Medicine with Dr. Chelsea Hollander

Room 3 - Legal Smarts: Answers for You on Probate, Wills, Planning and More with Susan G. Parker, Esq.

Room 4 (small session) - Mindfulness and Paced Breathing Techniques with Mark Adelman
    2:30-3:10pm:

Room 1 - Something to Smile About: Restorative Dentistry with Dr. Jon F. Ackerman

Room 2 - Functional Medicine: Treat the Whole Person, Not the Disease with Dr. Joon Lee (plus a short primer on non-surgical cosmetic medicine)

3:30-4:10pm:
    Room 1 - Best Ways to Keep Your Brain Active and Healthy with Dr. Carroll Rayner

Room 2 - Medicare Advantage Plans: Options Beyond Original Medicare with Emilia Gaston-Williams

Room 4 (small session) - Mindfulness and Paced Breathing Techniques with Mark Adelman

4:15-5:00pm:
    Room 1 - Salsa, Cha-Cha, Tango: TAKE A LESSON AND MAKE SOME MOVES before watching this entertaining dance troupe perform! Arthur Murray Dance Studio

Room 3 - Fashion After 55: Dress It Up - Dress It Down with the Nordstrom Style Team

NYKAREN
  • Machka9
    Options
    Lisa in AR: in Ireland, nowhere is more than a four or five hours drive away, we are only a couple of hours from from the Mournes, or the Fermanagh Lakelands, or the Giant’s Causeway, depending on which direction you travel. 😂

Very similar in Tasmania. It's a 5 hour drive from where we live in the south to the furthest northwest corner.

I just checked ... and we live on similarly sized islands. :)

Ireland: 84,421 km²
    Tasmania: 68,401 km²

M in Oz
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    NY Karen ~ The "Boomers Expo" sounds very interesting! :)
  • bananasandoranges
    edited May 2019
    Options
    feel very up and down today, physically not bad, but also pretty anxious about writing project...

eating is ok today so far. im aiming to skip starch for lunch. having gone to the gym gives a buffer in terms of calories.

nice seaside pictures. I'm 2h train ride from closest seaside.

last time I went to the sea was on vacation elsewhere (very pretty) for a week back in early September.
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,203 Member
    Options
    NYKAREN: Great options! Have you decided what ones to do yet? The charity I volunteer for does Summer Schools for local members which offer similar Lectures/activities. Our local one is in June.
  • Machka9
    Options
    A few other comparisons ... :)

Area of Russia: 17.098 million km²
    Area of Europe: 10.18 million km²
    Area of Canada: 9.985 million km²
    Area of USA: 9.834 million km²
    Area of China: 9.597 million km²
    Area of Brazil: 8.516 million km²
    Area of Australia: 7.692 million km²
    Area of contiguous USA: 7.664 million km²

And ... :)

Texas: 695,662 km²
    Alberta: 661,848 km²
    France: 643,801 km²
    New South Wales: 809,444 km² (where Sydney is)

I find these sorts of comparisons interesting. :)

I had trouble the first time I went to England. My friend gave me a map of the Loughborough area so that I could go for bicycle rides here and there. I would look at the map and decide to cycle "there" ... and then a minute later I was "there"! I was used to looking at a map of southern Manitoba and be on my bicycle for half the day to get "there". So then I'd decide to go to a place a little further away ... and I ended up lost a few times because I'd ride right off the map.

But then when my husband and I travelled around Europe in 2012, I realised just how large Europe is. Our original intent was to take in Norway, Sweden, etc. but we just didn't have time to do it all in the 4-ish months we had there.

I made that mistake the first time I came to Australia too. I had 3 months and figured I could do most of Australia! Nope.

M in Oz
  • efricke1
    efricke1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Good Morning (afternoon, evening)!

I also enjoy reading all the Who am I? posts! It's supposed to rain/thunderstorm today, but it doesn't look like it at all yet! Not a lot on the To-Do list, but that always changes. Going to the gym for sure.

Have a lovely Saturday!
    Elizabeth GA

Accountability Update:
    May goals:

Lose that blasted 5 pounds!-DH and I went out to dinner last night, and I was doing great until we got to dessert...I was over yesterday by 500+ calories. NOT the way to lose lbs!
    Post every day on MFP-Here I am!
    Cook dinner at least 1x a week-I did cook dinner on Monday
    Start meditating again-Why is this so hard??? My goal is 5 minutes a day-it shouldn't be a big deal! I'm going to do it TODAY!
  • Machka9
    Options
    Most students struggle to reach an assignment word count.
    I spend an inordinate amount of time getting my word count down!!

Goal: 500-700 words.
    Started: 6000 words
    Yesterday afternoon: 3000 words
    Yesterday evening: 1700 words
    This evening: 1100 words

I'm getting there!! Just 400 more to get rid of!

M in Oz