May 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• simcon1
    simcon1 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »

@hanlonsk - they use goats a lot in the PNW to get rid of weeds and invasive plants. In CA they use them in areas that are difficult to get into clear out brush from fire prone areas.

Yes! I had a similar experience as @PastorVincent last summer in Seattle. I believe this crew is called “Rent-a-goat”

• eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Just to continue with the goat discussion, the local council came up with a scheme here a few years ago (after the worst forest fire in ages which pretty much nuked the entire mountain) to pay shepherds to take their sheep up the mountain to clear undergrowth as a preventative measure.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    zeesparrow wrote: »

However, there were more than a couple people running with cowbells during the 12k. THAT was annoying. Please don't run with cowbells.
    Spectators with cowbells: YES
    Runners with cowbells: NO!!!!!!!!

Seriously, they were running with a cowbell? What on earth was wrong with them?

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    I do the out and back method of running, so run half the planned distance, turn around and run back. and fortunately on my current path I have several turn around points, so like this morning I planned on 5k, but when I got to my turn around point my legs kept going to the 6k turn around point, no idea how that happened. so I did 6k this morning. As others have said, once I'm that far, no way I'm walking home, too boring for that!

Was looking at the information for my July HM, and it turns out they are really really strict on the No Earphones rules (seriously? why!!). So what do you do when you cant wear earphones? Is this a common thing? I'm guessing its because the run is happening on rural roads with high speed limits. but most of us are sensible to have our volume turned down. Do I just need to embrace the suck and do a few runs without music? I hate listening to myself breathe lol. Or should I be *that* runner who plays music on my phone...

Oh and slightly amusing story, there is a guy who always runs the same route as me, but in the opposite direction, so we often cross paths. he never talks, never says hi to me, smiles, nods or anything. its like I'm not there. Ok dude, that's fine, happy being like that. Though he always says hi to my neighbour who is often sitting on his deck in the morning in summer. Well this morning I pass him just as I was about to turn, so I ended up following him for a bit then passing him! I was really self conscious about this, I made a point of sticking to my usual pace, and I left him in the dust. Its awkward seeing someone running every day and they never say hi so passing him like that was just weird.

On the headphones: It's weird, I almost always train with podcasts in my ears (earbuds in one ear only, or now the aftershokz (or however it's spelled) bone-conducting headphones, so I can still hear), but don't typically race with it. If I'm focused or have people around me, music/podcasts annoy me. I sometimes put music in for a longer race like 10k+, but not necessarily. Last weekend I ran the whole marathon with the aftershokz off and around my neck because I didn't feel like getting the phone out to turn anything on. They look stupid in the few pictures I was in, and I dumped so much water on my head, I was sure they'd be ruined, but I think they're fine. I had them if I needed them. I talked to people a little bit, paid attention to what was going on around me, focused on staying on pace, and contemplated how everyone around me has had the advantage of significantly higher testosterone throughout their entire lifetime, and none have ever given birth (let alone twice) and here I was holding my own right alongside them... and then the pacer's balloon hit me in the face and I moved on to other thoughts.

On greeting other runners, I'd start giving him a little runner's wave/nod, and just be entertained if he keeps ignoring you :) Some people are just like that.

Honestly? I tend to not acknowledge other runners either. I hide behind my 92% light blocking sunglass and just push on by. This goes for triple if the other runner is a female. I notice them and track their progress until they are sufficiently far away to no longer be of interest, but talk to them? Say hi? No. I will change my route before I do that. :smiley:

I do try not to be rude though so I will sometimes wave back if they wave first. I do see several of the same people when I run down in the city every time and most of them I have never acknowledged, nor have they acknowledged me.

In a race, I am slightly more social. But only slightly. I am INTJ after all :smiley:
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    I should rent a goat to take care of the weeds in my yard.

Also, I've been meaning to try the Aftershokz too. A friend has some she is looking to sell and was willing to let me try them out first so I should follow up on that. I do hate anything additional I need to charge though so I'm a little hesitant. I hate the wires of my old school earbuds but at least they are always ready to go.
  • PastorVincent
    Options

However, there were more than a couple people running with cowbells during the 12k. THAT was annoying. Please don't run with cowbells.

I have not come across this yet. Spectators sure, but runners? What the heck? Why?
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    5-1 injury idle
    5-2 rest
    5-3 injury idle
    5-4 injury idle
    5-5 injury idle
    5-6 rest
    5-7 3.5k slow
    5-8 7.5k slow
    5-9 rest
    5-10 7k easy
    5-11 11k slow
    5-12 7k recovery
    5-13 rest
    5-14 7k threshold
    5-15 7k recovery
    5-16 rest
    5-17 7k easy

May Total: 57k
    May Goal: 100k

January Total: 131k
    February Total: 159.5k
    March Total: 183k
    April Total: 126k

Monthly average: 149.875k

Next year when you pop in here claiming your December 2019 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?
    Run at least 4 5k races.
    Get under 30:00 and a PR for 5k.
    Average at least 135k per month, which would put me over 1,000 miles for the year.

Run the Year Team: Five for Nineteen

Cloudy and warm today. An enjoyable run.

2019 Races:

4-13 Shine the Light 5K - 31:12 chip time; First Place male 65 and older
    6-1 Freedom 5K (Will be off the schedule due to another commitment)
    6-30 Strides for Starfish 5K
  • PastorVincent
    Options

I have not come across this yet. Spectators sure, but runners? What the heck? Why?

I can speculate for one of them. She was a kid, maybe 8 or 9 years old, running with her mom. Mom was ahead of her a little ways and she rang the bell to get her attention so they could slow down/walk. I didn't mind that so much and thought it was actually a pretty good idea.

The 40+ year old man running alone with one? I didn't ask. I figured he was one of the 40,000 other people there who had lost their mind and was trying to have fun. He did look like he was having fun. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I guess if I was a pacer, I could ring the bell in beat at least. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • polskagirl01
    Options

I can speculate for one of them. She was a kid, maybe 8 or 9 years old, running with her mom. Mom was ahead of her a little ways and she rang the bell to get her attention so they could slow down/walk. I didn't mind that so much and thought it was actually a pretty good idea.

The 40+ year old man running alone with one? I didn't ask. I figured he was one of the 40,000 other people there who had lost their mind and was trying to have fun. He did look like he was having fun. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I guess if I was a pacer, I could ring the bell in beat at least. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just imagine the level of annoyance that would cause for the poor runners with close to your time goal! Cowbell, the whole way through the race!
  • polskagirl01
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    I do the out and back method of running, so run half the planned distance, turn around and run back. and fortunately on my current path I have several turn around points, so like this morning I planned on 5k, but when I got to my turn around point my legs kept going to the 6k turn around point, no idea how that happened. so I did 6k this morning. As others have said, once I'm that far, no way I'm walking home, too boring for that!

Was looking at the information for my July HM, and it turns out they are really really strict on the No Earphones rules (seriously? why!!). So what do you do when you cant wear earphones? Is this a common thing? I'm guessing its because the run is happening on rural roads with high speed limits. but most of us are sensible to have our volume turned down. Do I just need to embrace the suck and do a few runs without music? I hate listening to myself breathe lol. Or should I be *that* runner who plays music on my phone...

Oh and slightly amusing story, there is a guy who always runs the same route as me, but in the opposite direction, so we often cross paths. he never talks, never says hi to me, smiles, nods or anything. its like I'm not there. Ok dude, that's fine, happy being like that. Though he always says hi to my neighbour who is often sitting on his deck in the morning in summer. Well this morning I pass him just as I was about to turn, so I ended up following him for a bit then passing him! I was really self conscious about this, I made a point of sticking to my usual pace, and I left him in the dust. Its awkward seeing someone running every day and they never say hi so passing him like that was just weird.

On the headphones: It's weird, I almost always train with podcasts in my ears (earbuds in one ear only, or now the aftershokz (or however it's spelled) bone-conducting headphones, so I can still hear), but don't typically race with it. If I'm focused or have people around me, music/podcasts annoy me. I sometimes put music in for a longer race like 10k+, but not necessarily. Last weekend I ran the whole marathon with the aftershokz off and around my neck because I didn't feel like getting the phone out to turn anything on. They look stupid in the few pictures I was in, and I dumped so much water on my head, I was sure they'd be ruined, but I think they're fine. I had them if I needed them. I talked to people a little bit, paid attention to what was going on around me, focused on staying on pace, and contemplated how everyone around me has had the advantage of significantly higher testosterone throughout their entire lifetime, and none have ever given birth (let alone twice) and here I was holding my own right alongside them... and then the pacer's balloon hit me in the face and I moved on to other thoughts.

On greeting other runners, I'd start giving him a little runner's wave/nod, and just be entertained if he keeps ignoring you :) Some people are just like that.

Honestly? I tend to not acknowledge other runners either. I hide behind my 92% light blocking sunglass and just push on by. This goes for triple if the other runner is a female. I notice them and track their progress until they are sufficiently far away to no longer be of interest, but talk to them? Say hi? No. I will change my route before I do that. :smiley:

I do try not to be rude though so I will sometimes wave back if they wave first. I do see several of the same people when I run down in the city every time and most of them I have never acknowledged, nor have they acknowledged me.

In a race, I am slightly more social. But only slightly. I am INTJ after all :smiley:

On second thought, I guess you're right. He's probably just in his zone and doesn't like being social while running.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Tramboman wrote: »
    5-1 injury idle
    5-2 rest

Next year when you pop in here claiming your December 2019 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?
    Run at least 4 5k races.
    Average at least 135k per month, which would put me over 1,000 miles for the year.

2019 Races:

Jeez, I must be hungry. I though this was like “tea time” at first glance. Immediately regretted giving the dogs the last of the tater chips.
  • Tramboman
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    5-1 injury idle
    5-2 rest

Run at least 4 5k races.

2019 Races:

Jeez, I must be hungry. I though this was like “tea time” at first glance. Immediately regretted giving the dogs the last of the tater chips.

I can understand your confusion. You probably have never seen a number that high in proximity to time.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    5-1 injury idle
    5-2 rest

Run at least 4 5k races.

2019 Races:

I can understand your confusion. You probably have never seen a number that high in proximity to time.
    Hahaha! Aw, what? Nah. That’s a good time, (for me). Remember I’m still working on making it to the kitchen without crutches and hurting myself!
  • Tramboman
    Options
    5-1 injury idle
    5-2 rest

Run at least 4 5k races.

2019 Races:

Hahaha! Aw, what? Nah. That’s a good time, (for me). Remember I’m still working on making it to the kitchen without crutches and hurting myself!

Hang in there...