Over 60 still trying

Options

Replies

• mrvivinwales
    mrvivinwales Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, 71-year young male, here I now weigh 12 stone 11 lbs, I was 17 stone 3 lbs went on a low carb lifestyle and went down to 11 stone 7 lbs, but slipping up I went back up to 13 stone 5 lbs, so back on my low carb again and I have lost 8 lbs so far if anyone wants to join me on my journey add me as a friend it's never too late! let's all get to at least 100 years old.
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Good to nip the gain in the bud. Glad you are back on track. I'm doing the same thing!
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,315 Member
    Options
    mkculs13 wrote: »
    @Evamutt, wow. I'm struggling with a dog I don't want, too. A student said she didn't have time right now (in December), so I took him to hold for her. Now she cannot take him back. He was not socialized and became reactive when I started to do things with him--like a walk. GSD and big. I'm looking for help from GSD rescues but may have to surrender him to a shelter. I was not in a position to take a dog permanently and did not have that intention--and esp. not one who will be so much work. I have my Aussie and while there are a lot of similarities, there are a lot of differences, too. And, most importantly, I raise my pups right so they haven't had any serious behavior issues. I've done my best by him and have gone to training, vet, etc.

Someone said to me, "Companion animals are supposed to add joy to our lives. Don't let one ruin it." That helped--plus the fact that he would be a great dog for anyone wanting all the work that comes with owning one of this breed.

We decided to keep her. I've been working with her not to pull, not allowed to lift her lip when I'm petting my other dogs when she's near etc. It's going well. You have to decide if you're willing to put in the effort to keep this dog. I do hope if you give him up you can contact a rescue because the city shelter here is horrible, they put down 75-80% of dogs/cats, the animals are so afraid when left there. It's dirty & scary so please try to find him a home
  • mkculs13
    mkculs13 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Evamutt wrote: »
    mkculs13 wrote: »
    @Evamutt, wow. I'm struggling with a dog I don't want, too. A student said she didn't have time right now (in December), so I took him to hold for her. Now she cannot take him back. He was not socialized and became reactive when I started to do things with him--like a walk. GSD and big. I'm looking for help from GSD rescues but may have to surrender him to a shelter. I was not in a position to take a dog permanently and did not have that intention--and esp. not one who will be so much work. I have my Aussie and while there are a lot of similarities, there are a lot of differences, too. And, most importantly, I raise my pups right so they haven't had any serious behavior issues. I've done my best by him and have gone to training, vet, etc.

Someone said to me, "Companion animals are supposed to add joy to our lives. Don't let one ruin it." That helped--plus the fact that he would be a great dog for anyone wanting all the work that comes with owning one of this breed.

We decided to keep her. I've been working with her not to pull, not allowed to lift her lip when I'm petting my other dogs when she's near etc. It's going well. You have to decide if you're willing to put in the effort to keep this dog. I do hope if you give him up you can contact a rescue because the city shelter here is horrible, they put down 75-80% of dogs/cats, the animals are so afraid when left there. It's dirty & scary so please try to find him a home

My son has taken an interest in the dog, so plans to rehome him are on hold for now. I have contacted so many breed rescues without luck. My son has had to move home due to a health condition, and I am so worried about him. But now he's taking over with the dog, taking that worry off my plate--and giving my son something that he can do (for now). It's turned out ok for the time being. But yes, surrendering to a shelter would be my last choice.

• ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    64 and in best shape in at least 20 years.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,315 Member
    Options
    mkculs13, I'm glad to hear that. You probably know it takes dogs some time before they feel comfortable & can relax, I'm guessing it's good for your son too? Today I decided to go ahead & eat 1220/cal/day like mfp gave me to lose 1 lb/wk
  • Longing4Maui
    Longing4Maui Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all of those on this thread for your encouragement on this journey. It sure is harder the older we get, but it IS DOABLE. I had a few weeks where scale wasn’t budging, but then yesterday finally had a nice loss again. Down 28 lbs since Jan 2 using MFP; and seeing the daily notes from my ‘friends’ really helps. Some of you show real committment and that is so admirable; and makes me want to reach for the stars and be one that has logged in over 400 days like some of you. Thanks friends — @ginnytez @alteredsteve175 @megamom @daklock and more that I cannot recall at this moment.
  • ginnytez
    Options
    It is indeed doable at our ages. I have seen many posts about stalling and one day having a nice drop. I figure that is the collective experience here so it must be true (and you just help prove it to me again). I need to keep these things in mind when I hit that and not get discouraged. One thing I have learned in life is that I am not unique-so I totally expect a stall--just don't know when!
  • greagerkathy
    greagerkathy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Just started MFP and just turned 60 in the same week. I have been diligent in adding my food and exercise every day and have lost 5 pounds (with many more to go) so far. I am glad there a support community of people my age.
  • Longing4Maui
    Options
    Hoping the start of your week is going well everyone. Just remember ‘one day at a time’ and that you can do this. I had a great loss this week, almost halfway to my goal and that is keeping me motivated. Clothes I haven’t worn in years are fitting and even getting lose. Have a family vacation coming up in June and actually bought an ‘off the rack’ swimsuit that FITS. For years I’ve had to modify my swimsuits to have enough support on top, I am just amazed that I don’t have to. I already know that the two week vacation ‘eating’ will be hard, but I’m determined to log in daily and make good choices that also satisfy. And with theme park hopping with granddaughters, hope to burn off any ‘extra’ I do eat. Have a great week everyone, and share how you are doing today.
  • Longing4Maui
    Options
    Not seeing much activity on this thread, hoping everyone still doing ok and working at it. It really is so much harder being ‘older’. I am feeling so much better, able to move around and not get so out of breath. Started some weight training this week, goal is to use 6 machines twice a week, and legs are feeling it today. Had a decent week, stayed within calorie limit 5 of the 7 days. Reached my halfway point so that feels great. Just need to keep motivated to continue at this. Thanks everyone, and have a great weekend.
  • ginnytez
    Options
    I'm hanging tough! Enjoying the physical activity. Weight coming off slowly--clothes fitting looser and getting back into some of them I had outgrown. We may be older, but we can do this!
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    I'm hanging in there, too. Maintaining weight - which is good, considering I have been eating over my calorie target more days than not. I'm going to be on target today, though.
  • ginnytez
    Options
    Went for long walk (1 1/2 hours) this morning at reservoir with a friend. It was really great to get out and do that. She bikes regularly and is probably overall more fit than I (and a few years younger). I was amazed at all of the people out walking and running. Some were much older than I am at 64. I want to be like them when I am old--and the way to do it is to keep working at things now.

I am probably not going to exercise like a 20 year old. I am not going to lift weights like my sons. But that doesn't mean I sit back and do nothing!

Don't think I will be a runner with my two hip replacements(although I have found myself jogging lightly on treadmill when I kick up the speed), but I can do a heck of a job at intentional walking. And who knows, I may go to a gym one day and try one of those rowing machines (they just sound interesting).
  • Longing4Maui
    Options
    What was your ‘non-weight loss’ achievement this past week? For me, I DID our fitness center weight machines 2 times this week, today’s visit will be 3 times this week. For someone who has been way too much of a couch potato since last fall (recuperating from 2 surgeries) this was a big goal for me. Now to just keep at it. Happy Saturday MFP friends.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Well done, Maui! You are on your way to starting an exercise habit!
  • ginnytez
    Options
    My "non-weight loss achievement (which is tied to weight loss) is due to increased energy, everyday I seem to get one of those small chores I was always too tired to do, done.
  • Naturally_Monica
    Naturally_Monica Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    You can do this. I am in my 20s and have trouble as well (I blame that on my relationship with food). I know a lot of people try different types of diets, but I like to just count calories and remain in a deficit. It’s just the easiest way for me.