June 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,385 Member
    @Scott6255 - Hang in there! Software development/programmimg is a whole new (agile) world these days. I don't think I could do it and I was in that world in some form for my entire career. I think there are some agile programmers ( @garygse maybe?) in this group who might be able to help with some of that terminology and information on the methodology.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    16 hot, humid, windless miles this morning.Tried running until I didn't feel stressed. My body gave up before that happened 😭.
    Oh well, that is the longest run since January, so that's something.

So finished my first week at the new job. Although it was a short week, it felt like 10 days long. I felt so out of place, even though I have been to that office dozens of times for meetings or product debugging.
    The development team kept using these strange terms (scrum, sprints, stories,epics) when talking about task schedules, various meetings, reviews, etc. I just thought they were trying to be cute by associating these things with a 'fun' name.
    Also, they required all code to be checked in, sync'd, and merged with the main code branch at EOB, so they could see what you did that day. And we have to have meetings every morning to give status from the day before, plans for the today, and any problems. Not micro-management, but nano-management! Then we have long department meetings every Thursday afternoon.
    A HUGE HUGE departure from how I work.
    I finally asked why they were using those terms, and they looked at me funny and said it was was part of their methodology. They said "It's agile framework's Extreme Programming. Look it up".
    Noooooooooo! @PastorVincent you jinxed me 😮

On top of all that, this is pretty new software, development tool, and documentation system that I have to learn.

It is only the first of June and I have already had the hardest physical test of my life (1st marathon), and the hardest mental (and probably emotional) test of my life this year.
    Well it's all downhill from here (from a running perspective that's a good thing).
    I will stay strong and get through this with the help and support of my friends and family. And that includes this group. I really have appreciated the hugs and encouragement y'all have provided! 💓

exercise.png

Scrum/Agile is not bad once you get use to it and is different than extreme programming. I have worked in some form of Agile/Scrum for the better part of a decade now.

STORY - Think of this as a task/feature description. "When a logged in user clicks this specific button, this thing should happen" - Some shops split user and technical stories, but the same principle applies.
    SPRINTS - From 1 to 4 weeks pending the shop, it is "the collection of stories we are currently working on" - should end in a small deliverable.
    EPIC - Think of this as a collection of similar stories. "All stories dealing with printing" for example.
    SCRUM - The generic name for the system

Daily stand-ups are supposed to be so that any blockers can be cleared right away - but typically turn in to just status updates.

Each shop does things a bit different, but that is the general idea.

Check in all code at EOB is not unheard of, but I have not had to deal with that yet.

Hit me up in private messages if you want more details. :)
  • PastorVincent
    I'm rather disappointed in myself that I fell short of the 50 mile goal I had set for myself last month.
    So here's to June and making (and MEETING) the same goal.

Also, a secondary goal, I would like to complete at least one run that is 10 miles. Currently my longest run to date is 6.2 miles.

What does your training look like? 10 miles could be in reach, or way out of reach pending where you are. If you can just bearly finish the 6.2 even with several rest days before it, then 10 miles is probably not doable this month. If you can finish the 6.2 as part of a training pattern, without rest days preceding it, then you could probably do 10 this month.

The important thing is not to push too far, too fast too soon. Take your time to build a base and you will be much happier down the road.
  • PastorVincent
    Welcome to all the new runners! I am behind in this thread already so do not have all your names, but you know who you are and you are most welcome!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    I'm rather disappointed in myself that I fell short of the 50 mile goal I had set for myself last month.

Also, a secondary goal, I would like to complete at least one run that is 10 miles. Currently my longest run to date is 6.2 miles.

What does your training look like? 10 miles could be in reach, or way out of reach pending where you are. If you can just bearly finish the 6.2 even with several rest days before it, then 10 miles is probably not doable this month. If you can finish the 6.2 as part of a training pattern, without rest days preceding it, then you could probably do 10 this month.

The important thing is not to push too far, too fast too soon. Take your time to build a base and you will be much happier down the road.

To be honest I've only been really running for about a year. And I have no idea what I'm doing, the logistics of it, about conditioning. I just put shoes on, step outside and run.
    So you think maybe I should aim for less?
    I usually only have time to run 2-4 miles. I work 12 hour shifts with a one hour drive back and forth. So I'm only home for 8 hours and still need to sleep sometime in between there, plus I'm a student. On days I don't work I can do 5 or 6, because there's no time crunch.

I say aim for the 10, you never know until you try it. No harm in doing intervals to get to that 10 either. The added time on your feet is a part of training.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,702 Member
    edited June 2019
    6/1.....8 miles

It was a very pleasant 55 degrees at 6 am this morning. I met a couple of friends for the run and after saw the 7:30 group before they headed out. I got to visit with some friends that I hadn’t seen in a while since I usually run with the early crew. After I showered at the gym I met more friends at Panera where we talked bike talk. Then I went bike shopping and now I’m officially broke!

@Elise4270 I am blessed with a strong stomach so I eat anything from a granola bar to a Little Debbie oatmeal cake before my long runs. Usually during the week when I run 5 miles I run on an empty stomach. Eating afterwards just depends on what’s available. After long runs it takes a while for my appetite to kick in
  • PastorVincent

To be honest I've only been really running for about a year. And I have no idea what I'm doing, the logistics of it, about conditioning. I just put shoes on, step outside and run.
    So you think maybe I should aim for less?
    I usually only have time to run 2-4 miles. I work 12 hour shifts with a one hour drive back and forth. So I'm only home for 8 hours and still need to sleep sometime in between there, plus I'm a student. On days I don't work I can do 5 or 6, because there's no time crunch.

So, I suggest you look at a 10miler or 15k training plan. One like this:

https://www.halhigdon.com/training-programs/15k-10-mile-training/novice-15k-10-mile/
    (it is free, just scroll past the ads. All of the information is on that page and free. The actual plan it at the very bottom, but the notes above it are important too)

That one is for 10 weeks, but you might be able to start a few weeks into it.

Again, the MOST IMPORTANT THING is not to go too hard or too fast. All inexperienced runners do it. That is how you get hurt and burned out. It is better to take 2 months to get to 10 miles and get there healthy than to pound hard and get there in a few weeks but hating running and hurt the day after.