June 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Wow @katharmonic great race report. Just cruising in with a 2:17 HM is awesome!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,993 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    @MobyCarp Sounds like you are doing great! Awesome discipline to not go further than you "know" you should.

@katharmonic Sounds like a great weekend away with friends. Sorry the weather sort-of sucked and made the run not as pleasant as it could have been. Great time though!!!

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Date..........Run...............Walk...........MTD

6/1...........2M................2M.............4M
    6/3...........2M................1M.............7M

Today, I did only a 0.75 mile warm-up walk before running my 2 miles, and then another 0.25 mile walk to cool down. The time was pretty close to the same as on the first of the month, but I felt better after I finished.

I have a question for all of you seasoned runners. Should I run my shorter runs during the week at a faster pace than normal and slow down for my longer weekend run? Or, does it even make any difference at this point, since my long runs are only 3 - 3.5 miles? Currently, I'm doing all runs at about the same pace - if I'm running outside. If I'm on the treadmill, where I can better control my pace, I can go a little bit faster.

For a beginner, I would say maybe one "fast" run (think race pace) every other week, and it should be a middle distance run - whatever that means for you. So randomly...

2 miles comfortable hard
    3 miles race pace
    2 miles comfortable hard
    rest
    4-5 miles converstational pace
    rest
    rest
    2 miles comfortable hard
    3 miles comfortable hard
    2 miles comfortable hard
    rest
    4-5 miles converstational pace
    rest
    rest

Those might be a bit high in miles for you now, but they were nice round numbers. :D Adjust down as you need.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,993 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice @PastorVincent and @shanaber. I'm planning to sign up for an 8K midnight run on Aug3/4 for my birthday. So, I want to be respectable in my time and not be dying at the end. I'd be happy with an hour - 12 min miles.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,718 Member
    Options
    Kathrine Switzer was there signing people's bibs and taking pictures so we gathered up and got a picture of all of us with her. She was so nice and talked to everyone so it took forever, but it was great (I've seen her at a few races, she's a Syracuse alum and wants us to start a Syracuse chapter of her 261 Fearless groups).

I'm so jealous that you got to meet Kathrine Switzer! I read her book last year before she ran Boston again and it is very inspirational. Sounds like great swag too. I ran a Women's HM in NYC a few years ago but I don't remember getting anything impressive. There is one scheduled for this fall in Nashville that I'm considering. It's their first in this city. Congratulations on a great race!

• Lazy_Bones_85
    Lazy_Bones_85 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Back, a few days late, lol. It's so hard to keep up with these threads!

This month I will be aiming for 60 miles. My marathon plan officially starts w/o 6/24. I feel like I'm in a pretty good place to start it - the 1st week of the plan has 3x 3 miles and a 6 mile long run, and last week I did 3x 3 miles and a 7 mile long run, so I feel I'm starting off with a decent base. Now, I just need to keep sticking with the food tracking and lose the rest of the lbs I put on w/my last injury (2.4 down so far).

I too am trying to drop weight. I'm down 3.5lbs in a month. I'm finding it so hard to lose while training for races. Let me know if you have some tips or tricks, especially for the day after long run day. :)
  • ducky133
    ducky133 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I think I am giving up on the ticker. I updated it by adding today's run but when I did a cut and paste and previewed it said 2 miles instead of 4. Today was my second run since last August, another 2+ miles, so I am at 4. I can't be exact because my iPhone keeps dying when I try to use the mapmyrun app! Time for a new phone but I have been trying to hold off in case there is a new phone in the fall! Today's run felt good but my legs were tired from an hour of walking (with hills) last night. Thanks for the encouragement so far; I am trying to get a handle on the group.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options
    @lazy_b0nes and @KatieJane83 - I am on a weight loss quest (post injury) as well. The only advice I can give is to make sure you continue to eat enough (good) food/calories to fuel your runs and recovery.
    @Tramboman - laughed out loud at this 'Falling apart at the seams...probably dry rot.' I do hope your knee is ok!
    @ducky133 - you might try running Strava instead of MapMyRun. I had lots of problems with MMR and have very few with Strava. I also don't think it uses as much of the battery as MMR.
    Also on the tickers... it sometimes takes it awhile to update here. It will though and you are likely the only one to see it with amount not updated.