June 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Alan on our Run the Year challenge page says:
    I haven’t run a marathon in 8 years and decided to run the Richmond Marathon in November. In the past, I never incorporated speed work in to my training, but want to do it this time in hopes of a better finishing time. Does anyone have any advice on best practices for speed work that they would be willing to share?

C'mon over Alan!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    I wrote a whole thing that got deleted. Argh. I intro'd a few months ago...35, teacher, runner, occasional vodka fan, yada yada.

So, I am running my 2nd half marathon of 2019 tomorrow. Fingers crossed to get 2:03.

I signed up for my first full, a bucket list item as I am about to turn 36.

I'm hoping to use these running challenges to stay accountable. So hi.

Goal for June is 125...ramping up that mileage.

Good luck today on your HM @RunnerGirl238!
    Welcome (again), and which full are you signed up for as your first?
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @Lazy_Bones_85 Get some 2Toms SportShield and apply it for those longer sweaty runs...that's what I do, and I've had no inner lining chafing issues. I also apply it to the small of my back where my Garmin RD Pod can potentially rub (it attaches to the back of my shorts) and across my chest where the chest strap sits. You can also use Glide, which I use for my under arm, but I find SportShield is easier to apply "down there".

@RunnerGirl238 Good luck with your race today!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    I did it!!!! With an elevation gain of 555. Ran smart. Feeling amazing. I might cry.

YAY!!!! CONGRATS!!!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    @Lazy_Bones_85 Get some 2Toms SportShield and apply it for those longer sweaty runs...that's what I do, and I've had no inner lining chafing issues. I also apply it to the small of my back where my Garmin RD Pod can potentially rub (it attaches to the back of my shorts) and across my chest where the chest strap sits. You can also use Glide, which I use for my under arm, but I find SportShield is easier to apply "down there".

@RunnerGirl238 Good luck with your race today!

Toms SportShield is new to me, but BodyGlide, Vaseline, and other brands exist to do the same. If you are in a pinch, dry stick deodorant works too. I used to think the only option was BodyGlide, but the more I read on threads like this the more options I come across. I tend to stick with BodyGLide, cause I know it works for me - But during my last marathon, I stopped twice and applied vaseline just in case since it was raining.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @RunnerGirl238 that's fantastic!!! Congratulations on your amazing PR. Shaving off 25 minutes is HUGE! I hope you can get in to MCM, that was amazing for me last year as a first marathon but I've heard good things about Baltimore also.

Good luck to anyone else racing today!

It's such a gorgeous day here, it's a shame I couldn't go to long run this morning because I had to be home for the A/C installer. But I did get a really nice walk with the dog in and I'll run with a friend later. My legs are a bit sore, as predicted, so I want to keep moving a bit to hopefully make tomorrow's trail race not so painful.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    @RunnerGirl238 Congratulations on a great race! Well done!!!
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @RunnerGirl238 Congrats on a great race!!!

@PastorVincent I've considered Vaseline in the past, but didn't want to deal with the potential mess. Body Glide is awesome and I use it a lot, but when it comes to convenience, I just really like how easy the roll-on bottle of SportShield makes it so quick and simple to apply to those less-than-convenient body locations.
  • Lazy_Bones_85
    Lazy_Bones_85 Posts: 132 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    zpgi566kd3wv.jpg

I did it!!!! With an elevation gain of 555. Ran smart. Feeling amazing. I might cry.

Great job! And congratulations on cutting 25 minutes off your time! That is huge!!!! 😊😊
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    @RunnerGirl238 Congrats on a great race!!!

@PastorVincent I've considered Vaseline in the past, but didn't want to deal with the potential mess. Body Glide is awesome and I use it a lot, but when it comes to convenience, I just really like how easy the roll-on bottle of SportShield makes it so quick and simple to apply to those less-than-convenient body locations.

Yea, for me Vaseline is the last thing I reach for but at mile 18 of a marathon, in the rain, you do not have many options. :)
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    86t5utjsw16g.jpg

Sorry for the double post. I am just so thrilled. I cut off 25 minutes from last year.

@katharmonic Signing up for Baltimore if I cant get a pity bib for MCM.

@garygse thanks!!

Good luck to everyone running today.

Wow. Well done. That's a awesome result.