The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,157 Member
    whitpauly wrote: »
    Morning friends, RubyRed it just sucks and I feel like the 4 months AF I just had gotten to went down the drain! I got super drunk yet kept going and going,day 4 AF today and I still feel hungover! Totally messed up my sleep pattern,ugh,why do I stop then start again? I had just felt worn down from a long workweek and wanted that carefree feeling and I did for about an hour then I was just like blackout drunk,I'm so weird, wishes for a happy AF day today for us all <3

You are not alone! I have often wondered why I’m saddled with this addiction and no off switch, but at least it is something we can control for the most part unlike a serious disease or heart problem. You went four months!!! Look at how powerful you are! I can’t remember how many times we have all had “day 1s”. And yes the hangover is the absolute worst!! I’m so sorry 😐In two
    More days you will feel so much better. Don’t forget to journal this experience for yourself. Sending you a hug!!
  • RubyRed427
    lbsansouci wrote: »
    I'm so proud of and happy for all of you in your alcohol free journeys. I've never been a drinker. Just didn't like the taste and what it did to my cognitive functions.

I will never understand your pain and frustration but hope you'll accept my support. <3

You’re a very kind soul! Thanks for your support and words of encouragement ❤️
  • RubyRed427
    razorcut wrote: »
    Hey everyone! Hope all are hanging in. I’ve been out of the loop of late. The bad news: have had some significant & ongoing social struggles/issues over the last few weeks. Luckily, I have a tight circle of 2-3 friends that I now use as a sounding board. The good news: still substance & AF....today is day #252. I’m also still hitting the gym hard. Have gotten into the dreaded morning routine. I’m there M-F at 5:15a 😳

Wishing you a peaceful week! It’s wonderful you have a good supportive friends. So happy you let us know how you’re doing. I’m sure through these low times, you will find what works for you. Awesome job with your workout routine! High five! 👍
  • RubyRed427
    no44s4me wrote: »
    I want just thank you guys for getting this post started. I've been reading for awhile but my typing sucks so I haven't added to the discussion. But I feel compelled to tell everyone that you are truly not alone in your struggles, but at least you recognize that alcohol just doesn't work for you anymore. It certainly doesn't for me. I'm still trying to figure out how I went from a guy who enjoyed a few beers now and then to, by anyone's defintition, a heavy and binge drinker. 87 days so far, and I don't see myself going back. If you're a podcast person, check out Recovery Elevator. Lastly, be kind to yourself...it's a process. Hope everyone has a great day!

It’s like a switch- one day you can moderate and then it’s like a run away train... you can’t seem to stop. I think acceptance is the key to peace. It is what it is and now you will figure out what works for you. I will look for the podcast.
  • RubyRed427
    I stopped drinking on the 9th December. I tried many different books based on giving up alcohol (got to love book samples) before one clicked with me. I read the book over a course of a week, the day I finished was the day I stopped. So now it’s been 6 months, I’ve sampled my husbands larger, wine, spirts and each time that have been yuck. When we go out I ask for AF lager or I have a drink mixed with soda water.

When you tell people you don’t drink you get weird looks or the “ I never knew you had a problem” but you can drink on birthday and special events. And then there are the friends that justify their drinking to you. The saying of “ I know when to stop”

I’m happy not drinking, happy waking up every morning knowing I can drive as no alcohol in me, the knowing what I said and did the previous night.

Wishing each and everyone of you all the best on your AF journey.

I hear you! I once told my friend why I stopped drinking and he started to put his hands up and say you will never convince me to stop! I wasn’t even saying he should
    Stop. I was just sharing about me and why I am stopping. He was very defensive. 😊
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    I took my youngest grandson to see Aladdin at the theater last eve and they now sell ALCOHOL...really??

The province I live in has passed legislation to sell alcohol in convenience/grocery stores also. The convenience store in my small town has sold alcohol for years, but it is affiliated with the Liquor Control Board of Ontario LCBO, so it is a bit different set up there, and let me tell you it is a busy place!

I realize that in the U.S. alcohol has been sold in convenience/grocery stores for decades so nothing new for those of you who live there.

Anyway, it is what it is and I suppose it doesn't really matter how convenient it is to buy alcohol because if a person is determined to have a drink, they'll go wherever it is even if it isn't convenient. I know I would have at one time.
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,484 Member
    Hi All. Love the comments. Today I was with my sober friend (never had a problem, just does not drink) whose daughter is 5 years sober. She told me her daughters counselor once told her, "I may have one more drunk in me but maybe no more sobers". That powerful message has kept her clean. We had a lovely couple of day's visit. She lives in Florida. We lamented how hard it is to make new friends...no...best and intimate friends at our age...impossible. So I mourn her leaving. I am touched by all the honesty and struggle on the thread right now. Peace and love to you all.
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    I’m brushing up on French with Babbel (Their approach really works for me but not for all). In a conversation a man orders “une demi-bouteille de vin rouge” for himself and his companion. I thought, “Yeah, right.” I guess that’s the response of an addicted brain, right?
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Good Morn: Read an interesting article yesterday that my distant Cuz put on FB. He's a recovering alcoholic & the article is entitled, "Behind the Numbers: Alcohol is Killing More People Than The Opioid Epidemic. Why Aren't We Talking About It?" Contributed by Caron Treatment Facility. Not sure how to link it here so if anyone's interesting in reading it you'll need to google it LOL.

IN short the article related part of the problem with alcohol is "It's legal, easily available and socially acceptable! Nothing new to us here as we've discussed this before. It's a good article highlighting other things we have discussed here re: health consequences, but some other facts to consider that we may not realize. Good reminders why we are here.

@JenT304 <3