What nobody tells you about losing weight

Replies

• ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    Since I've lost weight and become much fitter, I get ill less often and less severely.

It used to be that if I caught a cold, I'd have to take two or three days off work. I'd get feverish sometimes to the point of hallucinating (yes, that's for a cold, not 'flu), my nose would run like a tap and prevent me sleeping, it would be so stuffed with gunk that it hurt and stay completely blocked for a week after, and I'd have to take proper behind-the-counter Sudafed for days just so that my Eustachian tubes would occasionally drain and I might avoid the follow-up ear infection. It would take me a couple of weeks to fully recover, even if I didn't get a chest infection.

Now, I only have half a day of feeling really rough before recovery begins. My temperature doesn't even reach hot-and-cold levels, never mind hallucinations. On the second day of the cold I can even breathe through my nose again (albeit with lots of sniffling).

Is this what a cold has always been for most people?

Yikes! Your old colds sound terrible. I still have to take proper, behind-the-counter sudafed to avoid ear infections but the rest of your "now" colds sounds about right. I wonder, do you think some of it might be tied to better nutrition, or did you always eat well, just in greater quantities than necessary?

I didn't always eat well, but there were long periods where I was overeating good, nutritious food, and my colds were just as bad.

I spent years believing I was somehow pathetic, judging from how people reacted to my taking days off work for a cold. I didn't realise that other people just weren't suffering the same level of illness.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    shunggie wrote: »
    I'm scared of maintenance. I'm still 35ish pounds away but I think I'll have to continue tracking. It's so easy to go from 1600 to 2000, it's a blueberry muffin at Panera. I know that I gained back half of the weight I lost the first time. I do NOT want to do that again. It's harder and slower losing at almost 50 than it was when I was in my 30s...

Maintenance can seem daunting but you will quickly fall into a rhythm of continuously making healthy choices and intuitively eating foods that allow you to have more volume for your calories. And yes, you will eventually find a balance where you are able to remain healthy but allow yourself a little room in your calories for treats.

There are days where I waste an entire 500 calories on a frappaccino from Starbucks or Moka. But the rest of my day is carefully constructed around that so that I still hit my macros and I never feel guilty about it. It can be scary at first, but as you get used to it, it becomes second nature. It's not any different than tracking your food now, except you have more calories to work with. You'll find that balance.

Yeah I hear you. But the thing is, it's not so much a change from your weight loss plan than you might think. And you've established some good habits by then. I still log in...ok maybe not completely but being aware of my eating every day has kept me on track 2 years later!
  • Neightyre29
    Neightyre29 Posts: 47 Member
    My underwear falling off. I don't want to buy new underwear yet, as I'm averaging a 2-3 lb loss per week... so I'm stuck with droopy drawers I have to surreptitiously hike up all day long.

This is great and a nightmare right?!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!