Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

What nobody tells you about losing weight

Replies

• kenyonhaffkenyonhaff Posts: 1,155Member Member Posts: 1,155Member Member
    shunggie wrote: »
    I'm scared of maintenance. I'm still 35ish pounds away but I think I'll have to continue tracking. It's so easy to go from 1600 to 2000, it's a blueberry muffin at Panera. I know that I gained back half of the weight I lost the first time. I do NOT want to do that again. It's harder and slower losing at almost 50 than it was when I was in my 30s...

Maintenance can seem daunting but you will quickly fall into a rhythm of continuously making healthy choices and intuitively eating foods that allow you to have more volume for your calories. And yes, you will eventually find a balance where you are able to remain healthy but allow yourself a little room in your calories for treats.

There are days where I waste an entire 500 calories on a frappaccino from Starbucks or Moka. But the rest of my day is carefully constructed around that so that I still hit my macros and I never feel guilty about it. It can be scary at first, but as you get used to it, it becomes second nature. It's not any different than tracking your food now, except you have more calories to work with. You'll find that balance.

Yeah I hear you. But the thing is, it's not so much a change from your weight loss plan than you might think. And you've established some good habits by then. I still log in...ok maybe not completely but being aware of my eating every day has kept me on track 2 years later!
  • Neightyre29Neightyre29 Posts: 47Member Member Posts: 47Member Member
    My underwear falling off. I don't want to buy new underwear yet, as I'm averaging a 2-3 lb loss per week... so I'm stuck with droopy drawers I have to surreptitiously hike up all day long.

This is great and a nightmare right?!
  • IsETHomeIsETHome Posts: 296Member Member Posts: 296Member Member
    My underwear falling off. I don't want to buy new underwear yet, as I'm averaging a 2-3 lb loss per week... so I'm stuck with droopy drawers I have to surreptitiously hike up all day long.

GO buy a pack of 2 sizes down, you will feel much better :)
  • pinuplovepinuplove Posts: 12,593Member Member Posts: 12,593Member Member
    I replaced underwear 3 or 4 times through 55 pounds of weight loss. I can't stand wearing saggy undies! Agree with getting the multi pack of fruit of the loom or similar. No sense investing in fancy frills until you're done :wink:
  • ScareahScareah Posts: 40Member Member Posts: 40Member Member
    I can't wait to get to that level!! Thanks for sharing!!
  • RelCanonicalRelCanonical Posts: 2,637Member Member Posts: 2,637Member Member
    That one day, you will no longer look/seek for anything with an X or W or PLUS on the tag or section of clothes, you even completely stop/no longer look for these sizes, as they won't fit you at all. Even one day, you will also no longer look for size LARGE--just mediums and even smalls will be your target size you'll look for. This is THE BEST feeling/knowledge ever. It WILL happen to/for you if you so desire--it's just going to take time.

I'm starting to run into this. I've been still shopping larges at Goodwill because brands all fit differently, and find it's now become an exercise in disappointment, haha. We wouldn't get the fancy brands that tend to size way small in our town, so they're pretty much all too large.
  • RelCanonicalRelCanonical Posts: 2,637Member Member Posts: 2,637Member Member
    That one day, you will no longer look/seek for anything with an X or W or PLUS on the tag or section of clothes, you even completely stop/no longer look for these sizes, as they won't fit you at all. Even one day, you will also no longer look for size LARGE--just mediums and even smalls will be your target size you'll look for. This is THE BEST feeling/knowledge ever. It WILL happen to/for you if you so desire--it's just going to take time.

I'm starting to run into this. I've been still shopping larges at Goodwill because brands all fit differently, and find it's now become an exercise in disappointment, haha. We wouldn't get the fancy brands that tend to size way small in our town, so they're pretty much all too large.

Shopping at Goodwill is so WISE, you'll find really excellent stuff at 1/2 or way less than the original price too. Also, it's smart to shop there because as you're getting down to size, you don't want to invest in certain sizes as even though the scale may not be moving as much as you'd like, the inches will be decreasing like crazy (at least it did for me). You don't want to be spending lots of money on sizes that will be too small sooner or later.

I went from a size 22w to now size 8's (which are starting get too big in the waist for me--even though my stomach area still needs a lot of work--it's weird, but I don't want to rush anything, slow and steady has won the race thus far with no loose skin, so I will continue to wait for my flat(ter) stomach to arrive. I made the mistake of buying too much stuff as I got to a size 16w and 14w only to drop down to a size 12 and 10 actually faster than I'd imagine. So when I got to sizes 12 and 10 I only purchased a few things and now that I'm a size 8. I'm glad I didn't buy a lot of 12's and 10's.

I'm starting to size out of some of my transitional clothes too! The difference between a size 8 and 10 is also smaller than the measurement difference between a 16 and an 18, so the transition continues to speed up. I remember the first time I lost weight, I actually skipped size 8 and went from 10 to 6 because I waited a while before shopping again.

I also like thrift shopping because it gets me out of my comfort zone with style. I'm more willing to try something on just to see and have found some gems and styles I didn't realize I'd like.