Cardio isn't for "fat burning".

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I wish this silly "cardio doesn't burn fat" notion would die already. Cardio increases TDEE which increases calorie deficit which burns stored fat. Every time I stop or reduce cardio, the fat comes back. When I keep up the cardio, the fat comes off and stays off.

It only increases calorie deficit if you're still eating in a deficit...if I'm eating at maintenance, it doesn't increase calorie deficit...'cuz I'm eating at maintenance.

And the deficit or maintenance or surplus will be determined by my TDEE which will be directly related to my cardio. And since I eat around the same amount of food on average (week to week), and don't want to eat less (and nowadays don't bother tracking calories), then the amount of cardio is the only thing I manipulate to burn fat or maintain fat loss. So to say cardio doesn't burn fat is just nonsense and misleads a lot of gullible people.

Or it educates a lot of people who think just because they're churning away on the hamster wheel that they should be losing weight...looked around a gym lately??? These people are everywhere. Like I stated before, there are tons of people who think the exercise itself should lead to weight loss...they have zero control over their diet...they do hours of cardio thinking they should be burning fat and have zero results to show for it...not sure why this is so hard to understand...seems pretty basic.

Ultimately, if you're in a deficit, you are consuming fewer calories than you are expending...if you are maintaining you are consuming a balance of calories...if you are gaining, you are consuming a surplus of calories, regardless of your exercise.

Nobody is arguing that it doesn't impact TDEE...that's pretty obvious.

Yep, we're 20 pages in and people are still arguing something the post didn't say.

There are so many people who think that regardless what they eat or what else they do all day, when they are doing cardio it causes their body right there in that moment to burn through their fat stores and that they should see that change pretty quickly in the way their clothes fit. All this post was saying is - that's not how it works.

Cardio does NOT directly burn fat. It burns calories which can contribute to your deficit if you control CI and cause your body to burn fat over time.

And if you think that's obvious, read through the forums regularly over a couple of weeks and count how many newbies post about how they are spending 2 hours doing cardio every day and are frustrated their waist isn't getting smaller.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    I wish this silly "cardio doesn't burn fat" notion would die already. Cardio increases TDEE which increases calorie deficit which burns stored fat. Every time I stop or reduce cardio, the fat comes back. When I keep up the cardio, the fat comes off and stays off.

You can increase your CO with cardio, or you could just consume fewer calories to begin with. The fat will stay off either way.

The point is it's not the cardio that burns fat, it's your calorie deficit.

Many people spend hours at the gym and wonder why they're not losing weight.. that's who he's addressing.

I don't understand how this point is not blatantly obvious...but yeah, apparently it's not.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Actually every little bit adds up for fat burning; The calorie deficit the most, even if we don't count exercise burn there is a slight edge with all exercise - lifting, HIIT cardio, and lighter steady state cardio even for 30 minutes.

It's the too much intense cardio that hinders fat loss, mainly because it stresses out the body to much and people eat more due to higher hunger intensity that comes with that stress - there is no willpower to combat that when the stress is too high in the body - the hunger hormones will increase.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,454 Member
    So when you STOP cardio, you're not in calorie deficit anymore. Bet if you still ate less than your TDEE without cardio, you'd still lose weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff

It only increases calorie deficit if you're still eating in a deficit...if I'm eating at maintenance, it doesn't increase calorie deficit...'cuz I'm eating at maintenance.

And the deficit or maintenance or surplus will be determined by my TDEE which will be directly related to my cardio. And since I eat around the same amount of food on average (week to week), and don't want to eat less (and nowadays don't bother tracking calories), then the amount of cardio is the only thing I manipulate to burn fat or maintain fat loss. So to say cardio doesn't burn fat is just nonsense and misleads a lot of gullible people.
    Lol, the whole point of the thread is to show that gullible people believe that doing cardio is going to shed fat off of them WITHOUT paying attention to what they consume. It's been that way for years.
    It's NOT DISPUTED that one can lose weight without doing any cardio at all by just eating less than their current TDEE. It's NOT the cardio causing excess fat loss to happen, it's eating under TDEE.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    edited March 2017
    Cardio increases TDEE which increases calorie deficit which burns stored fat.
    Not necessarily. If someone is eating a surplus of 700 calories currently over their TDEE (not uncommon), but today adds cardio equal to a 600 calorie burn, then they WON'T be in a calorie deficit. So they won't be burning stored fat. In fact they would still gain weight if they continued that for a month. But they did INCREASE their TDEE.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    edited March 2017
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    So when you STOP cardio, you're not in calorie deficit anymore. Bet if you still ate less than your TDEE without cardio, you'd still lose weight.
    Of course I would, but at my current 120 lbs, my TDEE without exercise is 1400. If I want to lose 5 lbs to go back to my preferred 115 lbs, I'd have to eat 900 calories to lose 1 lb/week. Or if I stuck to the commonly suggested minimum of 1200, with a deficit of 200/day, it would take me 18 DAYS to lose ONE pound!!

Now, that's just stupid considering I can simply eat a civilized amount of food like 1700 and increase my TDEE to 2200 to burn off 1 lb/week. And all that would need is about 12-14 hrs a week of cardio like hiking, cycling, elliptical, etc if I wanted to lose at that rate. This is how I went from 152 lbs to 115 lbs without starving myself.

And at 115 lbs, I can eat 1700-2000 and maintain it with just 7-10 hrs/week of moderate intensity cardio (~400 cals/hr). So suggesting people should just eat less is ridiculous when exercising more can accomplish the same goal with additional benefits of heart health, bone health, digestive health, and a better relationship with food coz you're not overly restricting and starving.

Short story: Just because people are clueless about how weight loss works (CI<CO), and that you can lose just by eating less without exercise, doesn't somehow result in the conclusion that cardio doesn't burn fat or that it shouldn't or can't be relied on a primary way to burn fat.
  • ninerbuff
    edited March 2017
    Of course I would, but at my current 120 lbs, my TDEE without exercise is 1400. If I want to lose 5 lbs to go back to my preferred 115 lbs, I'd have to eat 900 calories to lose 1 lb/week. Or if I stuck to the commonly suggested minimum of 1200, with a deficit of 200/day, it would take me 18 DAYS to lose ONE pound!!
    I would bet that even if you did that, it'd take you longer to lose it even if you were at 900 calories just because weight that low even with a 5lbs loss reduces. It's not uncommon to cut your weekly weight loss to .25lbs a week when you're within 5lbs of any goal.
    Now, that's just stupid considering I can simply eat a civilized amount of food like 1700 and increase my TDEE to 2200 to burn off 1 lb/week. And all that would need is about 12-14 hrs a week of cardio like hiking, cycling, elliptical, etc if I wanted to lose at that rate. This is how I went from 152 lbs to 115 lbs without starving myself.

And at 115 lbs, I can eat 1700-2000 and maintain it with just 7-10 hrs/week of moderate intensity cardio (~400 cals/hr). So suggesting people eat less is ridiculous when exercising more can accomplish the same goal with additional benefits of heart health, bone health, digestive health, and a better relationship with food coz you're not overly restricting and starving.
    What you're talking about is your preference and is a more sensible way of weigh loss, but again it's because of CICO that it would happen. You've balanced out the equation WITH cardio, but still could lose fat without it.
    Short story: Just because people are clueless about how weight loss works (CI<CO), and that you can lose just by eating less without exercise, doesn't somehow result in the conclusion that cardio doesn't burn fat.
    See previous above.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    BUMP
  • wifeoferp
    wifeoferp Posts: 86 Member
    You burn a higher percentage of fat at rest (and we are at rest more than exercising) because it's the primary fuel when the body isn't doing anything physically demanding.

So does this mean yoga is better for burning fat than HIIT?
  • ninerbuff
    wifeoferp wrote: »
    You burn a higher percentage of fat at rest (and we are at rest more than exercising) because it's the primary fuel when the body isn't doing anything physically demanding.

So does this mean yoga is better for burning fat than HIIT?
    Regardless of exercise, the amount of actual fat burned by it isn't significant enough to make a difference unless your calorie deficit is conducive to allowing it to happen at rest. To burn STORED body fat, calorie deficit is the most important factor along with adequate rest.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Cardio won't aid fat loss unless you are eating at a deficit. It is impossible to outrun a bad fork which is why weight loss occurs in the kitchen and not the gym. Boy, oh boy though, do I love the extra calories it allows me to eat :D
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member

You can increase your CO with cardio, or you could just consume fewer calories to begin with. The fat will stay off either way.

The point is it's not the cardio that burns fat, it's your calorie deficit.

Many people spend hours at the gym and wonder why they're not losing weight.. that's who he's addressing.

Yeah ... no. I had some delicious tacos and I got to ride my bike in the sun.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Cardio won't aid fat loss unless you are eating at a deficit. It is impossible to outrun a bad fork which is why weight loss occurs in the kitchen and not the gym. Boy, oh boy though, do I love the extra calories it allows me to eat :D

Friend of a friend lost about 40 pounds hiking the PCT. He ate as much as he was capable of, including entire jars of peanut butter in a day.

I wish this falsehood would die.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    Cardio is done to improve cardio vascular fitness and burn calories. It will HELP with a calorie deficit and for some that do a lot of cardio, allow one to eat more versus someone at the same weight who does little or no cardio at all.
    Like all other physical activity, GLYCOGEN will be the first thing burned before fat is even touched (ratio will vary more to fat if duration extended and/or intensity is lower) so the addage that one needs to do cardio to burn fat is a myth. You burn fat with a calorie deficit. Don't believe it? Do whatever cardio you want, but eat your TDEE. You'll more likely keep the same bodyfat percentage if you keep doing that.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

It's an old thread but was just wondering: Glycogen is burned first, then fat. Ok.
    Lets say I run in the evening, a longer run. Then go to bed. Do glycogen stores get replenished from somewhere magical or only the next morning at breakfast? And if the latter, does that mean my calorie needs are a bit bigger then in order to restore the glycogen stores?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    For low intensity exercises, is it body fat or dietary fat burned, or both?

If your body is well-nourished, and weight 80 kg it can store about 2000 calories of glycogen in the muscles and the liver.
    The glycogen stored in the muscles cannot be used to feed any other tissue. Only the muscles can have that. It's about 80% of your bodily storage. The glycogen stored in the liver can be used to feed any tissue in the body.

People who weigh more don't necessarily store more glycogen. However, if their muscle mass is greater than the 80 kg baseline, they do.

There are two kinds of people. Those in ketosis, who have already depleted all their muscle-stored glycogen, and those who are daily consuming high carbs. who constantly replenish their muscle-stored glycogen.

Losing body fat involves consuming fewer calories than your body burns in a day, every day, consistently, or in a week, every week, consistently, or in a month, every month, consistently.

For low intensity exercises, the keto people metabolize fat, and the carb-fed people metabolize glycogen.
    This happens because the cells of the body preferentially burn the glycogen first.
  • ninerbuff
    yirara wrote: »
    Cardio is done to improve cardio vascular fitness and burn calories. It will HELP with a calorie deficit and for some that do a lot of cardio, allow one to eat more versus someone at the same weight who does little or no cardio at all.
    Like all other physical activity, GLYCOGEN will be the first thing burned before fat is even touched (ratio will vary more to fat if duration extended and/or intensity is lower) so the addage that one needs to do cardio to burn fat is a myth. You burn fat with a calorie deficit. Don't believe it? Do whatever cardio you want, but eat your TDEE. You'll more likely keep the same bodyfat percentage if you keep doing that.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

It's an old thread but was just wondering: Glycogen is burned first, then fat. Ok.
    Lets say I run in the evening, a longer run. Then go to bed. Do glycogen stores get replenished from somewhere magical or only the next morning at breakfast? And if the latter, does that mean my calorie needs are a bit bigger then in order to restore the glycogen stores?
    Fat cannot be converted into glycogen, however it can be converted to glucose which then can be converted to glycogen. Thing is most people, even on long exercise bouts, rarely deplete glycogen stores to it's lowest levels. You don't NEED to increase calories (though many can consume more because of longer endurance exercise) but CARBS are pretty essential if you want to exercise longer with less fatigue and performance.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Just to keep straight for that reference of carb first, fat after - not true. Further posts after the one you quoted worked out that fact.
    Fat is vast majority of the day as prime fuel supply.
    As intensity increases from rest, lower and lower percentage of fat used though still greater calorie amount until you reach a point fat can't oxidize fast enough then % lowers even faster.

I know idea of carb first until like gone and then fat is thrown around by Keto supporters very often - and it's not true.

Your glyco stores replenished the next meal where you eat carbs - liver given precedence over muscle stores.
    Calorie needs aren't bigger unless you mean you weren't taking into account the extra calorie burn of the run.
    Taking in the extra food because you are doing extra activity can usually handle the extra carb burn.
    You can setup a bad scenario where that doesn't happen and slowly but surely your performance will suffer.
    Sometimes not so slowly actually.

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    heybales wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Just to keep straight for that reference of carb first, fat after - not true. Further posts after the one you quoted worked out that fact.
    Fat is vast majority of the day as prime fuel supply.
    As intensity increases from rest, lower and lower percentage of fat used though still greater calorie amount until you reach a point fat can't oxidize fast enough then % lowers even faster.

I know idea of carb first until like gone and then fat is thrown around by Keto supporters very often - and it's not true.

Your glyco stores replenished the next meal where you eat carbs - liver given precedence over muscle stores.
    Calorie needs aren't bigger unless you mean you weren't taking into account the extra calorie burn of the run.
    Taking in the extra food because you are doing extra activity can usually handle the extra carb burn.
    You can setup a bad scenario where that doesn't happen and slowly but surely your performance will suffer.
    Sometimes not so slowly actually.

Thanks a lot, both you and the answer above. I was just curious how it works as I am only able to workout in the evening (low blood pressure and energy), can' eat anything anymore after working out, and can't seem to get fat adapted for cardio. On most days I hit the wall after about one hour, big time.