Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Cardio isn't for "fat burning".

Replies

• wifeoferp
    wifeoferp Posts: 86 Member
    You burn a higher percentage of fat at rest (and we are at rest more than exercising) because it's the primary fuel when the body isn't doing anything physically demanding.

So does this mean yoga is better for burning fat than HIIT?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,887 Member
    wifeoferp wrote: »
    You burn a higher percentage of fat at rest (and we are at rest more than exercising) because it's the primary fuel when the body isn't doing anything physically demanding.

So does this mean yoga is better for burning fat than HIIT?
    Regardless of exercise, the amount of actual fat burned by it isn't significant enough to make a difference unless your calorie deficit is conducive to allowing it to happen at rest. To burn STORED body fat, calorie deficit is the most important factor along with adequate rest.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Cardio won't aid fat loss unless you are eating at a deficit. It is impossible to outrun a bad fork which is why weight loss occurs in the kitchen and not the gym. Boy, oh boy though, do I love the extra calories it allows me to eat :D
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    I wish this silly "cardio doesn't burn fat" notion would die already. Cardio increases TDEE which increases calorie deficit which burns stored fat. Every time I stop or reduce cardio, the fat comes back. When I keep up the cardio, the fat comes off and stays off.

You can increase your CO with cardio, or you could just consume fewer calories to begin with. The fat will stay off either way.

The point is it's not the cardio that burns fat, it's your calorie deficit.

Many people spend hours at the gym and wonder why they're not losing weight.. that's who he's addressing.

Yeah ... no. I had some delicious tacos and I got to ride my bike in the sun.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Cardio won't aid fat loss unless you are eating at a deficit. It is impossible to outrun a bad fork which is why weight loss occurs in the kitchen and not the gym. Boy, oh boy though, do I love the extra calories it allows me to eat :D

Friend of a friend lost about 40 pounds hiking the PCT. He ate as much as he was capable of, including entire jars of peanut butter in a day.

I wish this falsehood would die.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,825 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Cardio is done to improve cardio vascular fitness and burn calories. It will HELP with a calorie deficit and for some that do a lot of cardio, allow one to eat more versus someone at the same weight who does little or no cardio at all.
    Like all other physical activity, GLYCOGEN will be the first thing burned before fat is even touched (ratio will vary more to fat if duration extended and/or intensity is lower) so the addage that one needs to do cardio to burn fat is a myth. You burn fat with a calorie deficit. Don't believe it? Do whatever cardio you want, but eat your TDEE. You'll more likely keep the same bodyfat percentage if you keep doing that.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

It's an old thread but was just wondering: Glycogen is burned first, then fat. Ok.
    Lets say I run in the evening, a longer run. Then go to bed. Do glycogen stores get replenished from somewhere magical or only the next morning at breakfast? And if the latter, does that mean my calorie needs are a bit bigger then in order to restore the glycogen stores?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    For low intensity exercises, is it body fat or dietary fat burned, or both?

If your body is well-nourished, and weight 80 kg it can store about 2000 calories of glycogen in the muscles and the liver.
    The glycogen stored in the muscles cannot be used to feed any other tissue. Only the muscles can have that. It's about 80% of your bodily storage. The glycogen stored in the liver can be used to feed any tissue in the body.

People who weigh more don't necessarily store more glycogen. However, if their muscle mass is greater than the 80 kg baseline, they do.

There are two kinds of people. Those in ketosis, who have already depleted all their muscle-stored glycogen, and those who are daily consuming high carbs. who constantly replenish their muscle-stored glycogen.

Losing body fat involves consuming fewer calories than your body burns in a day, every day, consistently, or in a week, every week, consistently, or in a month, every month, consistently.

For low intensity exercises, the keto people metabolize fat, and the carb-fed people metabolize glycogen.
    This happens because the cells of the body preferentially burn the glycogen first.
  • ninerbuff
    yirara wrote: »
    Cardio is done to improve cardio vascular fitness and burn calories. It will HELP with a calorie deficit and for some that do a lot of cardio, allow one to eat more versus someone at the same weight who does little or no cardio at all.
    Like all other physical activity, GLYCOGEN will be the first thing burned before fat is even touched (ratio will vary more to fat if duration extended and/or intensity is lower) so the addage that one needs to do cardio to burn fat is a myth. You burn fat with a calorie deficit. Don't believe it? Do whatever cardio you want, but eat your TDEE. You'll more likely keep the same bodyfat percentage if you keep doing that.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

It's an old thread but was just wondering: Glycogen is burned first, then fat. Ok.
    Lets say I run in the evening, a longer run. Then go to bed. Do glycogen stores get replenished from somewhere magical or only the next morning at breakfast? And if the latter, does that mean my calorie needs are a bit bigger then in order to restore the glycogen stores?
    Fat cannot be converted into glycogen, however it can be converted to glucose which then can be converted to glycogen. Thing is most people, even on long exercise bouts, rarely deplete glycogen stores to it's lowest levels. You don't NEED to increase calories (though many can consume more because of longer endurance exercise) but CARBS are pretty essential if you want to exercise longer with less fatigue and performance.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Just to keep straight for that reference of carb first, fat after - not true. Further posts after the one you quoted worked out that fact.
    Fat is vast majority of the day as prime fuel supply.
    As intensity increases from rest, lower and lower percentage of fat used though still greater calorie amount until you reach a point fat can't oxidize fast enough then % lowers even faster.

I know idea of carb first until like gone and then fat is thrown around by Keto supporters very often - and it's not true.

Your glyco stores replenished the next meal where you eat carbs - liver given precedence over muscle stores.
    Calorie needs aren't bigger unless you mean you weren't taking into account the extra calorie burn of the run.
    Taking in the extra food because you are doing extra activity can usually handle the extra carb burn.
    You can setup a bad scenario where that doesn't happen and slowly but surely your performance will suffer.
    Sometimes not so slowly actually.

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,825 Member
    heybales wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Just to keep straight for that reference of carb first, fat after - not true. Further posts after the one you quoted worked out that fact.
    Fat is vast majority of the day as prime fuel supply.
    As intensity increases from rest, lower and lower percentage of fat used though still greater calorie amount until you reach a point fat can't oxidize fast enough then % lowers even faster.

I know idea of carb first until like gone and then fat is thrown around by Keto supporters very often - and it's not true.

Your glyco stores replenished the next meal where you eat carbs - liver given precedence over muscle stores.
    Calorie needs aren't bigger unless you mean you weren't taking into account the extra calorie burn of the run.
    Taking in the extra food because you are doing extra activity can usually handle the extra carb burn.
    You can setup a bad scenario where that doesn't happen and slowly but surely your performance will suffer.
    Sometimes not so slowly actually.

Thanks a lot, both you and the answer above. I was just curious how it works as I am only able to workout in the evening (low blood pressure and energy), can' eat anything anymore after working out, and can't seem to get fat adapted for cardio. On most days I hit the wall after about one hour, big time.
  • ninerbuff
    bump for people who just think cardio is the only way to burn fat (I was messaged on this)

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • Whatsthemotive
    Whatsthemotive Posts: 145 Member
    Thank you for this helpful post. Focusing on the real purpose of exercise is actually calming. I’d have to work out for hours at my current ability level to burn enough calories to be significant. I am mostly working out to gain strength, stamina, and flexibility, but if it burns a few calories, that’s a bonus. I think media like The Biggest Loser where they made those people exercise for hours on end to get the desired results have given a lot of us unreasonable goals.
  • I just read all of that. It really opened my eyes to see exercise's true roll in my fat loss. Thank you.
  • FitAgainBy55
    FitAgainBy55 Posts: 179 Member
    Thank you for this helpful post. Focusing on the real purpose of exercise is actually calming. I’d have to work out for hours at my current ability level to burn enough calories to be significant.

While I certainly agree with everything @ninerbuff had to say, he isn't saying exercise can't play a significant roll in weight loss. I eat at maintenance and essentially all of my deficit is based on my activity level. The more fit you get, the more of a roll this can play in weight loss. I started to say, I'm lucky to be fit enough to burn 700 calories in an hour running -- truth is it wasn't luck but I also didn't start there ... in the beginning I couldn't jog for longer than a couple minutes without stopping.

• ninerbuff
    Thank you for this helpful post. Focusing on the real purpose of exercise is actually calming. I’d have to work out for hours at my current ability level to burn enough calories to be significant.

While I certainly agree with everything @ninerbuff had to say, he isn't saying exercise can't play a significant roll in weight loss. I eat at maintenance and essentially all of my deficit is based on my activity level. The more fit you get, the more of a roll this can play in weight loss. I started to say, I'm lucky to be fit enough to burn 700 calories in an hour running -- truth is it wasn't luck but I also didn't start there ... in the beginning I couldn't jog for longer than a couple minutes without stopping.
    Correct. Exercise helps to burn more calories overall in a day and if combined with and eating program that keeps one in deficit, weight loss happens.
    Many people tend to think that just because they exercise for an hour, they are allowed to drink that 400 calorie latte and still eat the same thinking that they are just slow losers.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• jdbly3373
    jdbly3373 Posts: 26 Member
    You can't outrun a bad diet.

For me it helps a lot to exercise. I don't think people should be discouraged from exercising. Theres no way I can stick to the calorie allowance ever without exercise. I feel like I can't eat anything. But if I add an hour or two of exercise it makes all the difference. Losing weight is possible and sustainable.
  • jdbly3373
    jdbly3373 Posts: 26 Member
    missyfitz1 wrote: »
    Being in good cardio vascular health makes you feel fantastic. And that should be enough

Also, I don't think enough this is promoted enough. It's the one thing that keeps me motivated to stick to my workouts. Even when exercise helps me with CICO, that isn't why I do it. The results take too long.

I do exercise to be able to eat a little more and still lose weight, at least eat enough so I'm content with what I'm eating.
  • Whatsthemotive
    Whatsthemotive Posts: 145 Member
    I understand that exercise will always burn some calories. I started at a very poor fitness level, which is gradually improving. My weight loss has to be based mostly on reduced intake, but that doesn’t mean that I’m not getting a benefit from exercise. The benefit is better fitness, strength, and stamina. It would be very stressful for me to feel like I needed to exercise enough to burn 500 to 1000 calories. At my current fitness level, that goal would likely be impossible.
  • ninerbuff
    I understand that exercise will always burn some calories. I started at a very poor fitness level, which is gradually improving. My weight loss has to be based mostly on reduced intake, but that doesn’t mean that I’m not getting a benefit from exercise. The benefit is better fitness, strength, and stamina. It would be very stressful for me to feel like I needed to exercise enough to burn 500 to 1000 calories. At my current fitness level, that goal would likely be impossible.
    The idea of exercise should become intrinsic to someone and not extrinsic. The majority of people on a weight loss plan do it for extrinsic reasons. And once they reach their goal, the let up or practically quit exercising altogether.
    Once the goal is reached, that's basically the end for many. But IMO it's MAINTAINING that's the real test because you have to be able to do it for years rather than just a few months.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    bump