Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

The most polarizing food: where do you stand?

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    marylevin1 wrote: »
    Those are not even food

What are they then????

They are not particularly to my taste but of course they are food.

Frisbee alternatives.

Just because they aren't an Oreo... ;)

lol
    I don't care for icing/frosting on cookies. I'll enjoy the occasional sugar cookie but I prefer them warm and without icing.
    If I have the option of a peanut butter cookie or chocolate chip, the sugar cookie will not cross my lips.
  • Carlos_421
    I'll get burnt for this I'm sure but I really don't see the point in making crap like this for human consumption. Don't we have enough 'proper' food - and crap - already? Just seems a waste of raw materials, packaging, shipping, labelling, buying and eventually excreting. (Similar to those cheap 99p plastic toys that break as you unwrap them - they're not fit for intended purpose so why make then in the first place - oh right, money - of course!!)

Sorry - rant over.

They make these cookies because what else would Karen bring to the office snack party?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    Those are not even food

What are they then????

Frisbee alternatives.

lol
    I don't care for icing/frosting on cookies. I'll enjoy the occasional sugar cookie but I prefer them warm and without icing.
    If I have the option of a peanut butter cookie or chocolate chip, the sugar cookie will not cross my lips.

That denatured dollar-store toothpaste they put between the Oreo's brown fiberboard discs . . . I agree that it's not frosting. ;)
  • Carlos_421
    edited June 2019
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Those are not even food

What are they then????

Frisbee alternatives.

lol

That denatured dollar-store toothpaste they put between the Oreo's brown fiberboard discs . . . I agree that it's not frosting. ;)

I WISH they made toothpaste that tastes like the cream filling of an Oreo. :p
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    I'll get burnt for this I'm sure but I really don't see the point in making crap like this for human consumption. Don't we have enough 'proper' food - and crap - already? Just seems a waste of raw materials, packaging, shipping, labelling, buying and eventually excreting. (Similar to those cheap 99p plastic toys that break as you unwrap them - they're not fit for intended purpose so why make then in the first place - oh right, money - of course!!)

Sorry - rant over.

I guess the point is that some people like them?

I mean, they wouldn't keep making them if people didn't buy them and presumably people buy them because they like them - or at least prefer them to other products of similar availability/ cost.

They are not particularly to my taste but just seems food snobbery to rant about a food just because you personally don't like it.
  • DanSanthomes
    DanSanthomes Posts: 134 Member
    I understand the WOO 'system' so can the phantom woo-er please explain what part of what i'm saying is 'pseudoscience/snake oil/fad diet' etc. so I can alter my viewpoint if necessary.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Favorite Cookie (most won't get this)

zxhz7vyl8ba1.png
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,982 Member
    @theroaddog Nope, you're right - I don't get it, and I usually pick up on things from a generation or two behind me (I was never up on the pop culture of my own time, anyway). So what's the reference?
  • DanSanthomes
    DanSanthomes Posts: 134 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

But it seems absurd to me to call a homemade cookie "not food." It's made with the same basic ingredients that you can use to make a bunch of other food items (flour = bread, pasta, etc.). Pretending like dessert items aren't food at all is just an unjustified rhetorical move.

Now I get you are arguing that there's some distinction between a homemade cookie and cookies sold in grocery stores (or these cookies specifically, dunno), but I don't think that's a supportable claim if we are talking about nutrition (i.e., what is food). And I'm not sure on what basis you can say that these are not "edible" without even trying them and simultaneously complain that too many people are inclined to overeat them (which suggests the issue is that some find them plenty edible).

Is it that they are colorful? That's hardly unique to store-bought baked goods. I am usually more of a pie person, but a few years ago I made some lemon-lavendar cupcakes (something like this, except mine had some lavendar in the cupcakes themselves: https://thecakeblog.com/2017/02/lemon-lavender-cupcakes.html). They were pretty and colorful like those show (less frosting because I don't like the frosting to cake ratio to be so high). That did not change the fact that they were food. Not food I'd recommend having as too high a proportion of one's diet, because they are high cal and lower in nutrients, but food all the same.

Sorry Lemurcat,

Was talking about those shocking manufactured cookies from previous page that set everybody off. Opinion seemed to be that they were gross so I asked the question, in essence, "Why do we make crap like this?". *If you make your own cookies, and therefore know what's in them, all power to you.

Nothing to do with colour either - I'm not cakeist. (Nothing better than a plate full of foods in different colours).

To explain my stance a little. I'm from the UK and over here we have an unhealthy Office Cake Culture whereby it seems every day there's a different excuse to bring in even more brightly coloured 'baubles' to tempt our tastebuds. Nowhere more does this seem to be a thing than our glorious NHS (National Health Service) where I worked some years ago. As a noob there I watched as each day a new 'treat' was brought in for us all to try - each one seemingly more outlandish and less food-looking than the last. The sad thing was, I was surrounded by overweight people on constant diets who eventually caved and had a bite then felt pressured to bring something else in the next day. Never in my 30+ years working in offices had I seen such an array of garbage 'food' - and the effects of it. So please pardon me if this item was a particularly 'polarizing' food. :-)

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,572 Member
    edited June 2019
    TheRoadDog wrote: »

zxhz7vyl8ba1.png

I didn't at first. I wanted to. I felt I should. Had to move on to get it.

Yay me! :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    TheRoadDog wrote: »

zxhz7vyl8ba1.png

FWIW, I got it immediately. But I'm old, too. ;)

For you confused young whippersnappers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT9QZBGyXjU