June 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• zeesparrow
    zeesparrow Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    3.1 tempo run on the Greenway followed by a 3.25 mile walk in the dusk. This was sort of a test drive to figure out how hard I want to run the Stars and Stripes 5k next week if we enter. This 5k is the big finale for the local road race series and all the fast people show up - last year I don’t think I was even in the top half of my age group. So no real chance of a podium finish, the only person I need to beat is me. Last year I honestly thought I might pass out during the race due to the heat - the hair on my arms was standing up and I was getting goosebumps, which is a sign that your heat regulation is starting to get whack. This year so far I have been acclimating much better. But pushing it in the afternoon heat I still end up with positive splits - my legs, heart and lungs could keep going if my radiator worked better! I need giant ears like a Fennec Fox!

Anyway we did bring it in at 29 minutes with the first mile under 9 and pace gradually dropping after that. And I feel like maybe if I got one of those ice things that sit on your back we could have done the whole thing in 9 minute pace. Has anyone had experience with running with any of those ice hats, ice neck wraps, etc.?

By the way, I checked the weather history after we got home and the dewpoint when we ran was as high as I’ve ever seen it here - 78. No wonder I was wringing wet. Temperature 97.

We saw yet another bunny, which makes four runs in a row of seeing bunnies. This one was sitting right on the path watching us go by without a care. And we rescued a huge millipede from being run over by a bicycle. And listened to some song sparrows. Oh - and I looked up the unusual owl call we heard on our last run. Turns out it was Barred Owls after all, but the song we heard is their courting duet! They make a crazy cackling noise. If anyone is interested, the Cornell bird site has tons of stuff about owls.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Barred_Owl/sounds

Wow. That sounds pretty miserable.

I know @PastorVincent shared another site about dew point, but I came across this one recently that includes the temperature as well. Basically, it says to add them together and use that to determine your pace adjustment.

http://maximumperformancerunning.blogspot.com/2013/07/temperature-dew-point.html
    Temp+++Dew+Point.jpg

The chart provided:
    100 or less: no pace adjustment
    101 to 110: 0% to 0.5% pace adjustment
    111 to 120: 0.5% to 1.0% pace adjustment
    121 to 130: 1.0% to 2.0% pace adjustment
    131 to 140: 2.0% to 3.0% pace adjustment
    141 to 150: 3.0% to 4.5% pace adjustment
    151 to 160: 4.5% to 6.0% pace adjustment
    161 to 170: 6.0% to 8.0% pace adjustment
    171 to 180: 8.0% to 10.0% pace adjustment
    Above 180: hard running not recommended

I didn't get my lunchtime yoga yesterday; instead I chose to take a shorter lunch and leave a little early for a couple errands after work. Today is scheduled for 4.5 miles, but I'm deferring that to tomorrow in favor of a rest day. Three days in a row is pushing it for me right now, I think.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    Oh good! Weather update for my 50k this weekend... Thunderstorms and 86F! Perfect! :neutral:

So I don't know if you've got the same thing up your way, but I think all the wet weather, followed by these few days of warm sunshine, have resulted in the hatching of clouds of gnats all over the place. I had to keep my mouth shut on my bike ride this morning!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Oh good! Weather update for my 50k this weekend... Thunderstorms and 86F! Perfect! :neutral:

So I don't know if you've got the same thing up your way, but I think all the wet weather, followed by these few days of warm sunshine, have resulted in the hatching of clouds of gnats all over the place. I had to keep my mouth shut on my bike ride this morning!

Bugs find me very attractive! I will be soaked in DEET at the very least but that does not stop the cloud from swarming around!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Literally had vultures circling overhead as I ran this morning. Then I got almost to my 6+k turnaround point and my stupid shorts started chaffing. Owww. Then the guy mowing between his field and the road stopped to ask if I was a basketball player. "No, I just run..." My brain was confused (What language is he speaking? What did he say? What ball team does he think I'm on? There is no way I look like a high schooler.) Overall it really was a good run, though! Exactly what I needed.

I got a new bike(!) on Saturday and am trying to get back into cycling shape, which meant I missed yesterday's run because an 18-minute ride on the hills around here wiped me out. It's true - you can't just say, "I can run for __ hours, so I should be able to cycle/swim/etc. for an hour no problem". It just doesn't work that way!

June goal 100 miles - almost there!

Where’s a pic of the new bike?!!

ETA maybe the mower fella was mackin’
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Can you translate "mackin" ? :smiley:
  • zeesparrow
    zeesparrow Posts: 348 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I would like to redesign the app to remove/ change the Done button so it will post my replies if I'm in the middle of one.

@PastorVincent I thought we were saying basically the same thing, with a different perspective or I would not have tagged you in my previous post. Thanks for being clear on your opinion. I disagree with some of your response but that's just my opinion.

Cross training for 30 minutes on the indoor bike done. Hopefully I can fit in yoga later.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    zeesparrow wrote: »
    I would like to redesign the app to remove/ change the Done button so it will post my replies if I'm in the middle of one.

@PastorVincent I thought we were saying basically the same thing, with a different perspective or I would not have tagged you in my previous post. Thanks for being clear on your opinion. I disagree with some of your response but that's just my opinion.

Cross training for 30 minutes on the indoor bike done. Hopefully I can fit in yoga later.

I agree with the PRINCIPLE of the chart and would have liked to have quoted it, but the values are too optimistic and not at all suited to most runners. But I am not a trained coach, nor doctor and my opinion is based solely on my experience and the experiences of those I interact with or follow.

Running is a highly personalized sport so values always need to be fuzzy at best anyways :) It is all good. Not everyone agrees with me on all things. Like Ketchup on hotdogs. ;)
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Can you translate "mackin" ? :smiley:

I thought you had a teenager?

5je8v2i6mt7p.jpeg
  • Elise4270
    Options
    zeesparrow wrote: »

... and to add the ability to select “hug” and “like” simultaneously !
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    I read back through some of the posts I missed and I must say, cats are crazy!! I have 2 and they are always into something. Luckily no snake bites for us though!

This reminds me of the time one of my two grabbed and gobbled down 3 of my mom's pills - I believe they were calcium, some kind of supplement like glucosamine condroitin perhaps, and a prescription cholesterol pill! I was at work at the time, my mom panicked, brought him to the vet, they had to call animal poison control (which is when we learned that you have to pay for an animal poison control phone call - $59), and in the end he ended up being totally fine with no ill effects. Other than the freaking panic attacks he gave me and my mom :D
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Like Ketchup on hotdogs. ;)

Ketchup on hotdogs is an abomination unto the world :s:D #sorrynotsorry
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    @Squish815 - I had some problems with the Strava app and they recommended that I make sure I had the latest version of the app. I did but the problem went away anyways :) So you could send in a problem report and/or make sure you have the latest version of the app.