July 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    Does anyone know his family or a way for us to reach out to then to let then know what a part of us he was? @PastorVincent?

I know very little, but it seems his daughter posted some pictures publically on her Facebook here:

https://www.facebook.com/hclinefelter/posts/1332453723598218

My guess is through her would be the way.

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    More on @mobycarp - not surprising, he was at another race doing what he loved best!
    https://www.whec.com/news/fleet-feet-pace-leader-dies-at-hamlin-race/5422219/

Wow I’m am shocked and saddened by the loss of his life. @shanaber thanks for that update, @PastorVincent @MNLittleFinn thanks for sharing the news. He was a cornerstone of this group.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    The last pictures of him are smiling and running a race. I can not think of a more fitting send-off for him than that.

Amen
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    The last pictures of him are smiling and running a race. I can not think of a more fitting send-off for him than that.

Amen

Yes, this. I still can't quite believe it. I hadn't known him (so to speak) as long as many of you but I thought of him as a sort of running father figure for many of us, and his common sense and advice were always such a help.
    Rest in peace seems the wrong thing to say. So I'll say I hope a part of him always runs on in the hearts of everyone who had the privilege of knowing him, in person or online.

Well said.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    I will reach out to @MobyCarp's daughter on FB and let her know of all the folks here who 'knew', loved and appreciated her father. He and I are the same age and it always amazed me that he could be so fast! I loved his perspective on running, his approach to staying healthy and being patient with injuries and returning. I just can't imagine what happened. I don't think he would allow himself to get so dehydrated as to cause a cardiac event but I also wonder if he was very dehydrated from whatever the virus was that gave him such a high fever this last week and didn't realize it... as @garygse said on FB - Run in Peace Kevin!

I was out the door for my long run that was going to be dedicated to Kevin and was doing my warm up walk around our neighborhood when the neighbor's JRT came flying out of their garage at me (literally around the corner from my house). We danced around a bit as he bit at my shoes and the family tried to contain him. It was looking good for a while and I thought it would resolve with neither of us getting hurt. The father tried to use a broom to distract him (none of the family attempted to grab him!) as I backed away but as I moving away he ran around, bit my calf and ripped. We spent the last 3 hours at urgent care, tetanus shot done and antibiotics in hand. Doc was happy it was primarily a deep tear with a second smaller puncture. Apparently a larger tear is less likely to get infected than just the punctures. In all the years we have had dogs and been around dogs I have never been bitten before. Damn small terrier dogs with Napoleon complexes! So no run for Kevin today... I think he would understand. For sure I will be out there tomorrow at least I hope so.

Oh goodness! How scary. Was Hobbes with you?

(Thank you for volunteering to contact @MobyCarp's daughter and let her know how much we loved him.)
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    Today was the Boilermaker 15k in Utica, NY, which is a large race (about 12,000 runners) that attracts some elite competition. First place for the men was Gabriel Geay - @Teresa502 this is the guy you mentioned right? - who finished in 43:36, a 4:41 pace. First place woman was Caroline Rotich, who finished in 49:07.
    Yes, that's the guy! No record set at the Crazy 8's last night. It was won by a guy named Raymond Magut.

Congratulations on your race! Well done!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,979 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Today I bring very sad news. Longtime member and supporter of us all @MobyCarp has passed on. Here is the FB post from his daughter:

https://www.facebook.com/hclinefelter/posts/1331977223645868

:(

I know very very little, just what I read on the linked post.

What a shock. He was such a positive presence and such an inspiration to me. I knew I could never come close to his skill level but he was endlessly supportive of runners of every level here. Just shocked.

^^ This! It is a huge shock!!! Very sad. Prayers go out to his family.

@zsparrow Congratulations on your PR.

@katharmonic Sounds like you had a great race. Hills are killers! @MobyCarp would have liked your race report (BTW, I can't even imaging running that distance at a 4:41 pace. That is amazing to me!)

@shanaber So sorry you got bitten! If the owners were afraid to pick up their own dog, they have an issue and need to make sure he is contained. A good dog trainer could help them with that. Glad your injury wasn't any worse.

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,979 Member
    Options
    @Teresa502 Great race and race report, even if you didn't PR. They can't all be our best race.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    As sad as I am about @MobyCarp, I don't want to forget to congratulate @katharmonic and @Teresa502 on y'alls races and @MobyCarp type race reports.

And very sorry @shanaber about your dog bite 😖. Seems those smaller dogs are always the ones you have to watch out for.