July 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Where is @orphia? Has she heard yet? Her and @elise4270 organised th last one and did a wonderful job.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Where is @orphia? Has she heard yet? Her and @elise4270 organised th last one and did a wonderful job.

I’d love to that for Kevin and the group. I am imbedded in school work through the 18th. If someone wants to get it started (and finished), I suggest perhaps taking the one from Dennis and creating a copy, then times can be adjusted. What day and time is the tribute race?

Here is a renamed files to piggy back off of if anyone wants to chip at it. Usually this is a group effort, so unless someone wants to own it, I suggest you have a look if you are inclined to help. If you want to own it, just let us know.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LEnLOtgJR4HQhtRznuMzSxo0HaerVfCn7_Um_a9Y-98
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,076 Member
    Options
    Tramboman wrote: »

@Scott6255 Yeah. He mentioned at the beginning of this month in answering the question about how we were doing with this year's goals that his remaining major goal for this year was the New York marathon in November as his injury stopped him running Boston.

Can I suggest as an idea that we do a 24 hour relay on the day of the New York marathon to honour him?

I think this is a great idea. I thought of his plan for NYC marathon right away too.

I'm pretty sure I will have a race that day too, but regardless would love to dedicate some running and honor Kevin and his part in this group.

I agree this is a great idea and will certainly participate.

Me too. I have my first HM scheduled that day.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    out of curiousity. where did he get his name from. mobycarp, not kevin
  • JulieS3103
    JulieS3103 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I haven't posted in a few months but I saw the post on Strava about @MobyCarp and it's just hard to wrap my head around. I never met him and I didn't even knew his name was Kevin but I still felt like I "knew" him from his posts and great advice. He will definitely be missed.
    I would love to be added to the list for the tribute run to honor him.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Count me in for a tribute run too - I didn't sleep well last night just thinking about @mobycarp and a life ended too soon. I've been scouring the web for local events to honour him on November 3rd but it may be easier to do my usual Sunday long run by myself.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »

That is a great question! I have no idea.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,991 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »

That is a great question! I have no idea.

I have wondered this as well.

I will definitely participate. I don't have anything scheduled yet, but Sunday's are my usual long run day so I will likely be running by myself that day.
  • hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I’ll participate for sure on th tribute run. I’m still thinking of him, and what a loss it is.
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    Count me in for a tribute run too - I didn't sleep well last night just thinking about @mobycarp and a life ended too soon. I've been scouring the web for local events to honour him on November 3rd but it may be easier to do my usual Sunday long run by myself.

Come to kerikeri for the half on the 17th. Running together we will do a marathon for Kevin, 2 weeks late lol

Oh you already have something that day I think.

I've just discovered that the taranaki around the mountain relay is that weekend. I'd already decided I was keen to do it. Now I KNOW I'm going to. I'll try put a couple of stages together to hopefully do a full marathon that day.
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    kevaasen wrote: »
    My final post (I am way over my quota for 2019)

I just received this email from Strava. They are awarding 5 free NYC marathons for 2019. Based on the T&C's and the eligibility requirements, it is for US residents only and they are really gearing it towards 1st time marathoners and those that have a 1000 word or less compelling story might be selected

SO - my idea is this

1) Anyone from MFP looking to run their first NYC Marathon??

2) if yes, I know each of us has a story, but a collective story and perhaps one around this community including @MobyCarp and many others, etc might compel a winning entry over all of the others that might be just as powerful on why people chose to run.

3) I am not a content creator, only the idea maker.....so perhaps if there is someone that wants to run their first marathon and as a group project, the group could craft an inspirational essay that just outshines the best.

https://blog.strava.com/2019-tcs-new-york-city-marathon-contest/?$web_only=true&$3p=e_it&$original_url=https://blog.strava.com/2019-tcs-new-york-city-marathon-contest/?$web_only=true&_branch_match_id=409023857297430818

Back to running and reading!

Damn not a US resident. This is awesome, hopefully someone here can get it