40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• ronmatta
    ronmatta Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    64 next week, July 20. Last night signed up for a Half Marathon Training Program.
  • ronmatta
    Options
    6 mile Saturday morning group run done, ready for the day
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,718 Member
    Options
    Morning, y'all! Seize the day!
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    "Body Beast Build: Back & Bi"=Done!
  • tccroston
    tccroston Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I had a great day today! 18 mile bike ride, cut the grass, pulled some weeds... And it poured two hours after I finished! 😜
  • NoWeighJose74
    NoWeighJose74 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    44 here. Goals? Keep getting stronger. I'm stronger now than I ever was in my 20's. Losing about 25 more lbs would be nice too.
  • Me4now2Day
    Me4now2Day Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I would like to join as well don’t know how. Im year old whose gained about 60 pounds in 7 years. How did that happen???? I lost about 18. Im joining a gym tomorrow and started eating healthy about 3 weeks ago. But staying on track is not easy for me. I have a lot of stressors that get in the way. Looking for friends so we can motivate each other. Thank you!
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    "Body Beast Build: Shoulder"=Done!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Hey Kids,

Haven't checked in for awhile. great to see all the activities among the group!

My Achilles rehab has seemed to take forever. After surrendering to the injury in Feb and withdrawing from the season's races, I was in a fairly deep funk for several months as I was forced to sit around and do nothing while undergoing treatments. Felt like I was in prison. ;)

But today was different! It was the first day in months that I have been able to ride my bike longer than 15 minutes. MD gave me the OK to try an easy ride, so I joined my pals for our weekly open water swim and when they followed up the swim with a run, I opted for an easy 90 minute ride instead. It felt GREAT to be on the bike again, even though I kept my pace slow and I only went about 23 miles.

I'm nowhere near last year's fitness, and a return to running is still a ways off, but I guess baby steps are better than no steps.

• caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Hey Kids, hope all is well. These ATG (*kitten* to grass) Squats are kicking my can in the worst way. For years I was trained to not squat too low and now I am told the opposite. My knees are fine and the lifting shoes are perfecto. I just have to tell my mind it's okay to go lower in squatting. My coach wants me to squat with a band above my knees to help with gravity until I get better. I am training for my first competition in October and the judges look for depth in your squat. My bench press and deadlifts are improving weekly. I am determined to get these back squats under control. Have a great day kids/ DJprouxl, I am sorry about your injury and happy to read that you are back on the saddle if only partially. Have a great day everyone.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,718 Member
    Options
    Hey Kids, hope all is well. These ATG (*kitten* to grass) Squats are kicking my can in the worst way. For years I was trained to not squat too low and now I am told the opposite. My knees are fine and the lifting shoes are perfecto. I just have to tell my mind it's okay to go lower in squatting. My coach wants me to squat with a band above my knees to help with gravity until I get better. I am training for my first competition in October and the judges look for depth in your squat. My bench press and deadlifts are improving weekly. I am determined to get these back squats under control. Have a great day kids/ DJprouxl, I am sorry about your injury and happy to read that you are back on the saddle if only partially. Have a great day everyone.

Good on ya' for increasing your squat depth. I squat onto a box which gets me just below parallel. I have been working on this for a year and now I can get to the box most of the time. I'm horribly inflexible and patience is needed in my case.

• Curiousgeorgianna
    Curiousgeorgianna Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Got my Total Gym and core series in this morning, and a 30-minute yoga session this afternoon. Tomorrow is bicycle commuting day. PT is hard, but in an inspiring way. Like welcoming back a long lost friend.
    Nice work on the squats @caramelgyrlk !
  • Pernova78
    Pernova78 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi 👋🏻
    I'm 41, I live by the seaside, 4 kids mostly grown up and off doing their own thing. I lost 5 stone on a low carb/keto diet using mfp to track macros a couple years ago and came back recently as I put 2" on my waist over Ramadan (too much samosas and rice, I usually avoid carbs totally lol) and have a special dress I need to fit into soon 👰🏼🤵🏾
    I'm actually in far better shape at 41 than I was at 18 when I was wearing the same size clothes I am now but didn't work out 😂
    I do have to be careful because I have a history of eating disorders which is one of the reasons I use this app to track as I have good friends keeping an eye on my food diary to make sure I don't start restricting but atm I train hard, cardio and weights 4 times a week so I eat ALL THE FOOD. Recently discovered the joys of bulletproof coffee and LOVE IT!!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,958 Member
    Options
    23 miles is no slouch djproulx.

Good squatting, caramel!

Keep it up, curiousgeorge.
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    "Body Beast Build: Tempo: Chest/Tris"=Done!
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Hi all, finally feel like my life is my own for a while. All my summer time obligations have been fulfilled! Yay.
    So, headed out for a short run yesterday. It was HOT. Well, considering I haven't done any warm weather running yet this year, 26C was tough. Only walked a few steps, a few times, and finished. It was slow, but mostly steady. :)

Nice to see you back @Curiousgeorgianna .
    Glad to hear you are improving and starting to get back into your exercise routines @Djproulx
    @caramelgyrlk - you are killin' it!
  • TallGent66
    TallGent66 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Lighter hike yesterday, just 45 minutes. Then 45 minutes lifting in the garage. Not lifting like I did when 28 ... starting off modest. Three or 4 sets, minimum 10 reps, dumbbells.

Trying to keep as much muscle as I can as I lose weight, if possible. I'm hoping hiking works the legs... feels like it.

(I've read discussions here that you can only lose weight, or build muscle... doing both rare?)
  • ronmatta
    Options
    Club Pub Run tonight - in the rain first mile of a fast three (tried to keep up with the young crowd) , cooled off with a couple beers.
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    "Body Beast Build: Legs...with sandbags"=Done!
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Another run last night. Same route as the day before, almost 5 minutes faster. It was 12 degrees cooler. :)
    It's another warm one today though, so not sure a run is in the books.