40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Replies

• Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    Very hot and humid in NJ. Did a 5k this am, was wringing wet at end. Plus rode 1 horse at 10 am and am riding the other now. Brutal. Will have to get to barn super early tomorrow to ride. I may end up doing tomorrow's run at 4 am!
  • misscagal
    misscagal Posts: 195 Member
    Djproulx wrote: »
    pdxhak wrote: »
    Anyone ever use a sled? Pain. Lots of pain!

sy2yarirqmla.jpg

OH YEAH!!! The sled, aka, "The Prowler". Load it up with 45lb plates and push it till you get "The Prowler Flu".(dizziness, nausea, overall body weakness and trembling) This is a GREAT piece of gear for building total body strength and one of the world's best torture devices. My trainer would have me push this across the gym floor while the other 4-5 students were holding the plank position. Just as I approached the end line, he'd jump on the sled to add extra weight.....the *kitten*! The other special form of hell he devised was to tie two of the heavy ropes to it and have students hold a plank position while lifting one hand at a time to pull it hand over hand across the gym floor.

It is such an awesome tool that I still get kind of emotional thinking about all the good times I've had over the years using it. ;)
    Was big part of my HIIT class today - total workout s&m lol. Mine was smaller though (for newbies :# ).
  • agbmom556
    agbmom556 Posts: 694 Member
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    agbmom556 wrote: »
    This morning 30min treadmill
    Lunch-Body pump class

@agbmom556 Does your treadmill tell you how many calories you burned in those 30 minutes? Mine showed 209 calories today but MFP thinks it should be 342. I record the figure from the machine (varies based on the speed and incline during the automated Jillian Michaels workout).

My treadmill shows about 100 calories per mile. Some mornings I run more than jog and vice versa
  • narak_lol
    narak_lol Posts: 855 Member
    Rode my bike again today - this is my usual route and it feels like it's getting easier so I'm happy about this!
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    There is an Olympic distance triathlon here today. Hot and humid but a high chance of rain. Not my thing anyway but it will be one miserable day for those folks. 1.5k swim 50k ride 20k run. By contrast we have an ironman here later. 3 I r 5k swim (not sure which) 130k or so ride and full marathon. :o
  • misscagal
    misscagal Posts: 195 Member
    10k done - brutally humid but at least not as hot
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Hot and humid again today. Early am 2400yd swim & 10 mile trail run done. Glad its over. Rest day tomorrow to begin taper week before HIM on Sunday.
  • Djproulx
    There is an Olympic distance triathlon here today. Hot and humid but a high chance of rain. Not my thing anyway but it will be one miserable day for those folks. 1.5k swim 50k ride 20k run. By contrast we have an ironman here later. 3 I r 5k swim (not sure which) 130k or so ride and full marathon. :o

Those conditions are very challenging for racing. I had two friends race an Olympic distance yesterday and it nearly broke them. They are both well trained cyclists and runners, but the heat and humidity sapped their energy. Even with great volunteer support(water, ice, salts, etc.) these conditions make racing extremely tough. It becomes a mental battle as well as a physical one.
  • pdxhak
    pdxhak Posts: 383 Member
    Watching Olympic's and sucking down a huge cup of ice black coffee before taking off for a 5-6 mile jog/hike with the dog before it gets too hot outside.
  • pdxhak
    Djproulx wrote: »
    @pdxhak: So is it safe to assume that you've experienced some flu like symptoms during the workout?

I have not. Just lots of sweat and lack of breath :)
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    "P90X2 X2 Recovery + Mobility"=Done!
  • tojo_73
    tojo_73 Posts: 213 Member
    Got my first century of the year in yesterday (metric century but still). Nice flat ride out for breakfast and back. Was meant to be a group ride but apparently when they said Sunday they didn't mean Saturday....and I am a confused person.

Turned out to be the RSVP ride (2 day ride from Seattle to Vancouver) and managed to tag in with a group for about 15km which was not only fast but also super easy compared to riding solo.

Great weather here. 2 out of 3 kids back from camp which is nice.
  • Djproulx
    tojo_73 wrote: »
    Got my first century of the year in yesterday (metric century but still). Nice flat ride out for breakfast and back.

Ride & breakfast is a great way to spend the morning!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,926 Member
    We biked around Portland, today...felt great to be using my body! :)
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,926 Member
  • narak_lol
    narak_lol Posts: 855 Member
    Looks like a great day out Beeps!

Rode around the neighborhood for an hour or so just to increase my calorie allotment for today :D
  • pdxhak
    Beeps2011 wrote: »
    wr4b0p4bfq9x.jpeg

Pittock Mansion :) I have been their a few times. Great view from the back!
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    "P90X2 X2 Core"=Done!
  • MJFSH
    MJFSH Posts: 7,252 Member
    P90X: chest and Back and UFC Fit: Abs Assassin done!
    All set for the week to start! :)