Today I Learned...

Replies

• perezlau
    perezlau Posts: 35 Member
    People who hustle others dont even realise theyre doing it. Just second nature.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    TIL that Charles Dickens’ novels were hugely popular even among the illiterate poor. They would pool their money to hire a reader, and then gather together to listen to the stories.
  • epr31295
    epr31295 Posts: 6,213 Member
    TIL that even when you don't think it will rain (downpour) during your break. Bring the Umbrella!!!
  • cee134
    TIL In the film Osmosis Jones, Bill Murray's character mentions a "National Chicken Wing Festival" in Buffalo, New York. While the festival did not exist during the filming of the movie, this mention caused organizers to create an annual festival in Buffalo which has been active now for 16 years.
  • cee134
    TIL: The red flag, when used by pirates, came to mean "no quarter given", meaning that no mercy would be shown, and no life would be spared, while a black flag usually meant that those who surrendered without a fight would be allowed to live.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    TIL that when a person asks you a question and you answer with the raw truth, that person will freak the heck out, say they're offended, belittle you and call you names because they are completely unwilling to recognize that they could ever possibly be the problem.

Oh well... can't please everyone. ☺
  • yukfoo
    yukfoo Posts: 871 Member
    TIL All my friends have birthdays this year...
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    yukfoo wrote: »
    TIL All my friends have birthdays this year...

Mine was yesterday.. I'm waiting on my present 😜
  • yukfoo
    yukfoo Posts: 871 Member
    edited July 2019
    TIL It was Jo's birthday... yesterday
    Happy birthday sweetheart! You didn't message me for bail money so I'll assume you're laying low 'til the heat dies down... :D Bet it was a blow-out...I'd love to have been there. Hope you had a great day even if you don't remember it..lol :p (presents are in the mail) muaaah!
  • slimgirljo15
    yukfoo wrote: »
    TIL It was Jo's birthday... yesterday
    Happy birthday sweetheart! You didn't message me for bail money so I'll assume you're laying low 'til the heat dies down... :D Bet it was a blow-out...I'd love to have been there. Hope you had a great day even if you don't remember it..lol :p (presents are in the mail) muaaah!

Thank you 🤗
    It was a totally awesome blowout 3 day birthday celebration.
    Ohh * waiting at the mailbox* 😙
  • Xiao_Ya_
    Xiao_Ya_ Posts: 495 Member
    TIL that when your kitten plays with a carbonated drink, you shouldn't open it right after...
  • cee134
    edited July 2019
    TIL that the actors who played Ferris Bueller’s parents fell in love and got married after filming.

ng0nch5xhvmt.jpg
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Til someone has 7 accounts on mfp
  • slimgirljo15
    Til someone has 7 accounts on mfp

Only 7? Lol
  • cee134
    TIL that although now a cult classic, Jim Henson's "Labyrinth" was the biggest failure of his career, costing $25 million to make and only earning $12 million.

• cee134
    TIL about shrinkflation, the practice of stealthily reducing a product's size while maintaining its price so that consumers may unknowingly pay the same for less. According to the UK’s Office of National Statistics, 2,529 supermarket products decreased in size or weight between 2012 and 2017.
  • ready2lose2101
    ready2lose2101 Posts: 47 Member
    TIL not to engage in conversations with strangers because most of the time they only want to ask you for something!
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    TIL that the "Double Oh" in James Bond's OO7 code name actually is the letter "O", and not, as I had always assumed, the numeral zero.