July 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Trying to decide between the Battleship Half on 11/3 and the Haunted Half on 10/26. I will likely only be able to get the time off for one of them. Thoughts?
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Trying to decide between the Battleship Half on 11/3 and the Haunted Half on 10/26. I will likely only be able to get the time off for one of them. Thoughts?

Time off may dictate which race. But, which has better swag? How are the courses? Is one race larger than the other?
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    Ok I have gotten the spreadsheet into Google Docs and I think it should be accessible to any of you... can someone take a look and check it for me? That you can access, edit, etc. and also that I have the hours specified correctly.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1u1kakszOV9CNZ6ONIzsQjF2Oq8lgpOZh/view?usp=sharing

Thanks!!

Thanks for setting this up.

Is there any particular reason we are starting at the time we are? I usually run at 7am on a Sunday (which will be 3pm Nov 2 for those in New York), however, Mondays I can't start until 9am because of school drop-offs. I'll put my name in the appropriate slots and if it's ok with everyone, maybe we can start our tribute run a couple of hours earlier and/or push it out by an hour (I know our KeepRunningFatBoy tribute went on longer than 24 hours).
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    So...

I'm thinking of upgrading my Garmin. I've had mine for almost a year and love it. So I think im only wanting to upgrade to get the latest and greatest.

I currently have a vivoactive 3 with music. I'm not competitive, mostly ignore the HR info now, though it can be useful and I like having it there. I'm tempted to get a bike and start swimming now I am in a location where these things are possible.

Suggestions? There are SO Many to choose from now!
  • GregInORL
    GregInORL Posts: 232 Member
    Options

Couldn't help smiling at the egg trot challenge, and yes, also a great occassion to follow Kevin's example and ask ourselves "what can I do to help someone out?"

In running news:
    I am SO in love with my Garmin. Thanks again @noblsheep! I have yet to find time to read the manual (work is crazy this month!) so haven't yet figured out the pace alert thing, which I want to, however I did discover that I can set it to my run-walk intervals. Getting some funny looks when I bleep every x seconds in busy areas, but it sure beats having to use the interval timer on my phone! Actually being able to see my pace on my wrist instead of having to hold and look at my phone screen is awesome, as is the fact that it seems to be far more accurate at any given moment than Zombies Run! :-) Still a lot more to learn about it but so far so super!

This morning a random Facebook time thingy reminded me that a year ago today I did my first ever 5 mile run. I've been feeling frustrated with what my overdemanding brain sees as a lack of progress in my running recently, that served as a reminder and provided more perspective on how far I really have come in not much time at all.

Having finished a 9-mile plan last week, I'm currently in a cutback/transition period to get used to 4 runs per week again instead of 3. The Hal Higdon HM plan I intend to start in a few weeks has 3 consecutive running days, then a rest day, then long run, then cross training, then another rest day. Last time round I found after a few weeks that 3 days in a row was too much for me, and had to move them. I ended up running Tues, Wed, Fri and long runs on Sundays. I'm going to start off doing the 3 days in a row (very short distances) and will see whether the legs accept it or not. So yesterday was 5km, this morning was 3km and tomorrow will be just 1 mile.

July goal 85km. Run so far: 56.97km

@eleanorhawkins Love the run walk intervals on my Garmin. That is something I have to have on my running watch! I use to worry about being the only person who does walk breaks in my running group but I just embrace it. It's gotten me this far and I'm sure it'll be with me in some form or another as I continue to improve. Im doing my first Hal Higdon plan for this fall marathon cycle (Landed on Intermediate 2 for 5 days a week running 1 day cross) and I wish you a wonderful training cycle!
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    @GregInORL thanks! I used Higdon's Novice 1 for my first HM last year, trying Novice 2 this year. I was pointed towards the run-walk-run thing by my physio after upsetting my legs at the aforementioned HM last year (typical case of too much too soon) and I'm learning to not care what anyone thinks now, especially as it keeps my legs so much happier!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    So...

I'm thinking of upgrading my Garmin. I've had mine for almost a year and love it. So I think im only wanting to upgrade to get the latest and greatest.

I currently have a vivoactive 3 with music. I'm not competitive, mostly ignore the HR info now, though it can be useful and I like having it there. I'm tempted to get a bike and start swimming now I am in a location where these things are possible.

Suggestions? There are SO Many to choose from now!

The Garmin 245 is a great option to trade price ofr features...

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/04/garmin-forerunner-245-music-gps-watch-in-depth-review.html

Of course the 945 is the top end of all things

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/04/garmin-forerunner-945-multisport-watch-in-depth-review.html

Or the least expensive

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/04/garmin-forerunner-45-45s-gps-watch-in-depth-review.html

So there I just did the salesman thing and presented you with 3 choices. Now the decision will come down to your budget and desires. :smiley:
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options

I know you ran the Haunted Half last year. Have you run the Battleship Half before? If not, I would probably pick it. Would you get to see your parents though if you ran it instead of the Haunted Half?
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    @Avidkeo I will throw in my $.02 and say the Forerunner 235 is a great watch (although if you want to swim it doesn't have a built-in swim mode, but you can download an app, or just use 'Other' and setup your own fields).
    Too bad you missed Amazon Prime days, they had some good deals :(

The 245 is out now, which is replacing the 235. That means you might find some closeout deals on the 235... but personally, since the GPS chip was upgraded in the 245, and the 245 adds the music option, I would tend to get the 245 over the 235.