July 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,399 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Dh said he didn't have and running shoes so he ordered another pair. I think they are just booby-traps. Can ya say "booby" on mfp?
    5ebenxtiv4yo.jpg
    😲
    @elise4270 - I think your DH is turning into @LaDispute57! Remember the the picture of his closet with the boxes of shoes plus all the ones he had in rotation??
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Dh said he didn't have and running shoes so he ordered another pair. I think they are just booby-traps. Can ya say "booby" on mfp?
    5ebenxtiv4yo.jpg

I've heard of selective hearing, but selective vision is a new one for me.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Tramboman wrote: »
    5ebenxtiv4yo.jpg

I've heard of selective hearing, but selective vision is a new one for me.

Hahaha! I trip on his shoes constantly. I just might have a selective vision problem... or it could be the lack of coordination, or a “trip” to bathroom in the dark.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Today I learned that if there is an actual fire on the 7th floor of the building where I work, the 5th floor, the floor I work on, will not be evacuated.

p5dzwexrqdde.png

Nice. Reminds me of when we moved into an 8th floor rental apartment then were told that the local fire brigade's ladders are only long enough to reach the 2nd floor :-o

Someone on FB just told me this is standard. You only evacuate the floors above the fire? What? :open_mouth: I was outside already when the alarm went off and the firetrucks came racing over but no one else was from the floor I worked on. They did not even know.

Yup, our system will announce what floors to evacuate and lower floors should be alert and wait to see if message changes. If I remember correctly it also can be set to the floors that need to evacuate and no one else will know (except you can hear it going off somewhere in the building)

Not evacuating when the building is on fire is so far out of my normal thinking that I would have never considered this was even a possible option before.

It's a safety thing - if everyone evacuated at once panic is more likely, plus the lower floors may hinder evacuation of the higher floors. Fire compartmentalisation is usually built into tall buildings so if there IS a fire on one floor it is contained to that floor only. This is why the fire service told all the people in the Grenfell tower to stay put. That would have worked fine, if adjustments to the building envelope had not been made. The original concrete design meant fire couldn't spread from floor to floor. It was the new cladding meant to prettify the building that carried the flames up and killed 72 people (mostly from smoke inhalation).

I'd be evacuating too.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    This morning I went out just for a mile as per my careful plan to transition from 3 runs per week all with a rest day in between them to 3 consecutive days plus a 4th at the weekend. Legs didn't complain as much as I expected them to considering my knees felt a little tired last night. Physio later for a massage, none of my muscles feel too bad considering my runs are lengthened since I last saw her, but she's bound to find some knots somewhere!
    I decided I would use this very short run to try out a new, shorter pair of shorts I bought at the end of last summer but never ran in, and paired them with a vest instead of my usual T-shirt. Felt nice and cool at the beginning but I still ended up drenched in sweat almost immediately. Apparently that's what 80% humidity does. Ugh, is it nearly autumn yet?
    In other news, I'm tracking walking and running miles for Run the Year because beside my contribution to the team I decided I wanted to see if I could cover the entire amount on foot, even if not purely running, and this morning I passed the 1,000 mark. It's going to be tight but I'm hoping I can do it!

July goal 85km. Run so far: 58.63km

We're pulling for you!!!
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    zeesparrow wrote: »
    @eleanorhawkins Have you tried to fly? *grin*

I'm glad I popped in here this morning. I'm following the Higdon Novice 1 Half plan now and debating running my third day in a row today. My calves felt tighter than usual when I got up this morning, probably a result of my not stretching or foam rolling very much after my run yesterday. I was going to take the dogs individually this morning - I'll still do that, but we'll walk instead. Then at lunch I'll ride the bike before yoga. The road will still be there tomorrow.

@zeesparrow well there have been a few aborted takeoff attempts but I've never mastered the actually continual airborne suspension part ;-)

I'm not going to risk the 3 in a row thing, I want to do too much this coming autumn/winter/spring for it to be sensible to take the suck it and see route. Plus, as I was reminded the other day by the facebook post about my first ever 5 mile run just a year ago, although in my mind I'm an experienced runner and superwoman, I'm actually still very very green. Maybe in 5 years time I'll be capable of the 3 days in a row/flying thing with no ill effects.
  • zeesparrow
    zeesparrow Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    zeesparrow wrote: »
    @eleanorhawkins Have you tried to fly? *grin*

I'm glad I popped in here this morning. I'm following the Higdon Novice 1 Half plan now and debating running my third day in a row today. My calves felt tighter than usual when I got up this morning, probably a result of my not stretching or foam rolling very much after my run yesterday. I was going to take the dogs individually this morning - I'll still do that, but we'll walk instead. Then at lunch I'll ride the bike before yoga. The road will still be there tomorrow.

@zeesparrow well there have been a few aborted takeoff attempts but I've never mastered the actually continual airborne suspension part ;-)

I'm not going to risk the 3 in a row thing, I want to do too much this coming autumn/winter/spring for it to be sensible to take the suck it and see route. Plus, as I was reminded the other day by the facebook post about my first ever 5 mile run just a year ago, although in my mind I'm an experienced runner and superwoman, I'm actually still very very green. Maybe in 5 years time I'll be capable of the 3 days in a row/flying thing with no ill effects.

Hahaha!

Yeah, I followed the plan at the beginning with 3 days in a row for a few weeks, then had some slight knee pain so I backed off. I didn't learn my lesson and have had a couple more weeks like that (without pain) so while I could have run today, I think the sensible choice is to wait until tomorrow. The next few weeks I'll go by how I feel.

I think I might have to take another page from your book and schedule myself a massage soon, too!