Less Alcohol - JULY 2019 - One Day at a Time

Replies

• Alzzi_2
    Alzzi_2 Posts: 2,149 Member
    pennyks88 wrote: »
    Good morning, everyone! I had a few drinks yesterday evening. I plan on being AF this weekend. I really want to get in as many workouts as I can. I've been AF 16 out of 20 days this month.

Keep focus, your doing good, and keeping the workouts up. More active u are the less likely u r going to feel like drinking.

Best of luck ;)
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Hi all! I've been AF 16 days out of 19 so far this month. Feeling a bit down on myself today because the way I look in my head is not at all how I look in pictures. I just feel huge and I hate it. I'm eating extra calories because I'm breastfeeding and if I eat less, my milk supply drops. I'm hoping in a few more months I can start cutting calories since she'll be over a year old. It's aggravating when you hear people say the weight falls off when you're breastfeeding because that's just not true for everyone. Ugh.

@pennyks88 Just wondering if your milk productivity increase as your child has grown is masking your fat loss.

i.e. As your child has grown and needed more milk and you produce more milk, any weight loss would be hidden by the increasing weight of the milk.

Just a thought. I breastfed one child 26 years ago and may have forgotten how these things work! :smiley:
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,548 Member
    beebva4 wrote: »
    7/4 - AF
    7/5 - bad :(
    7/6 - kept to my goal of waiting till night time for 2 drinks
    7/7 - AF
    7/8 - 3 drinks
    7/9 - AF - YAY! :)
    7/10 - 1 small drink
    7/11 - drank
    7/12 - drank
    7/13 - AF
    7/14 - AF
    7/15 - AF
    7/16 - 1.5 drinks!
    7/17 - AF
    7/18 - 1.5 drinks
    7/19 - 1.5 drinks
    7/20 - 😶 bad

Okay, so I'm being totally open and honest with this checkin with you guys. Yesterday was a "bad" day. It was a cheat/rest day from working out. I was out most the day with my husband so had lunch out, had a good lunch and nothing crazy bad. Just a Turkey sandwich on a croissant, loaded with lettuce and tomatoes. Dinner was Panera and had just soup. However drank quite a bit, first time in a while. And by that I mean I had 2 margaritas and a shot of vodka. Now I don't like that I drank that much, I dont like the munchies it gave me, but I have to say I dont regret it because it was a great day and a super great night with my husband. And I wouldnt change it. Life has been crazy stressful the last year with where we previously lived and the command he was with, then fixing the house and running into issues with that and the costs of it, then living with family for almost a month while we waited for our housing to become available, then the big move! Needless to say it was definitely an unhealthy day but an enjoyed time ❤

Today till Thursday will be AF! I can do this! 💪🏻

@beebva4 so glad it was a lovely day out and about with your husband. That is ALL that matters. Although that turkey sandwich got me drooling. Your doing awesome. Have a wonderful Sunday
  • MissMay
    I am going to continue into July with a goal of 4-5 AF days per week. It is great to be able to check in here each day. Thank you for looking after us @MissMay : - )

May - 18 AF days
    June - 16 AF days - Really had to backload that one! It was nearing the end of the month and I was only at 12 AF days. Maybe going to try to get more in at the beginning of the month this time, so if invited for wine or a cocktail party with gfs later in the month I can actually go.

July 01 - AF
    July 02 - AF - Guess that I will start my tally at the bottom : - ) I realize now that 16AF days (4 per week) in a 31 day month is like having drinks every second day!
    July 03 - AF - Today was no problem to be AF, but yesterday was a long hard day and I really felt like kicking back and having a couple of drinks - I just didn't. I even bought some of that fake beer that I have heard some of you talking about (I got Grolsch) - but it didn't occur to me to go to the fridge and have it. I am not a beer drinker, so I guess that it wouldn't have really been a substitute for a brandy or a glass of red wine : - P
    July 04 - 3 drinks
    July 05 - AF
    July 06 - 3 drinks
    July 07 - AF
    July 08 - AF - Um, I saw Kombucha being made on a TV show, sorry y'all that like it, but whoa, ick! : - P
    July 09 - AF
    July 10 - AF - I had a nice steak for dinner and wanted a glass of Merlot or Cab with it, but didn't want to open a whole bottle (partially to prevent having drinks 2 days in a row) to have a glass or two. So I remembered the fake beer that I bought, the Grolsch and thought that might be a different thing to have. Firstly, it is 150 calories for one! I don't really drink beer anyway, but a light beer has like half of the calories of that. I figured maybe I would just drink half of it to save calories. Anyway, I poured out a bit in a glass and tasted it. Oh my, it was a Radler! I didn't like it, so didn't drink it. I may buy some more fake beer, but will be more careful at looking at the label. is there fake wine? Lol, I know that there can't be fake brandy, which is what I really prefer.
    July 11 - 3 drinks
    July 12 - AF - Had a fake beer, Labbatt Blue. It was actually pretty good. 50 calories, so it didn't break the bank. Mojitos planned for tomrrow, my mint is perfect in my garden. By this time last year I had many many Mojitos. This will be the first for this summer.
    July 13 - 3 drinks - haven't had the mojitos with my own mint yet, maybe next weekend.
    July 14 - AF
    July 15 - AF
    July 16 - 3 drinks - I think that if I am going to have a few drinks a couple of days a week Tuesdays have to be included. It is my long tough day of the week, and I have so far not allowed myself to have drinks on Tuesdays even though that is the day where I really really feel like it. I must say that it was really nice to have a few. Good taste, nice relaxing feeling, great sleep. It was better than a chamomile tea. Time to rack up some ore AF days now. I feel confident that I will reach the 16-20 AF days for the month.
    July 17 - AF
    July 18 - 3 drinks - It showed on the scale this morning. My objective for drinking less is to lose weight, and this affirms it.
    July 19 - AF - I always feel like having drinks the day after having drinks, but I like not having a puffy face and belly better and I have somewhere to go tomorrow, plus I have tentative plans for Mojitos some time this weekend so needed to rack up an AF day. Also, no drinks 2 days in a row or the 3rd day is really tough to accomplish.
    July 20 - AF - Had another fake beer. Pretty good. The Labatt kind comes in a 6 pack bottles and is $7.99, which is way cheaper than real beer in Canada. I think for the real Labatt Blue it might be around $14.00, but I am not sure, I don't think that I have ever bought it. Booze is very expensive in Canada for those of you that didn't know that. I may just have another, kind of thirsty and only 50 calories ; - )

Running total: 14 AF days out of 20 days so far.

Oh these fake beers. I hear ya. Last night I wanted another Heineken 00 when we were out at a club. Hubbie brought back some other non-alcoholic swamp water. YUCK
    Did not know alcohol was over priced in CA. Good tip!
  • MissMay
    Good morning, everyone! I had a few drinks yesterday evening. I plan on being AF this weekend. I really want to get in as many workouts as I can. I've been AF 16 out of 20 days this month.

Nice job on 16 AF out of 20!!!
  • MissMay
    edited July 2019
    Happy Actual Friday, everyone! Yeeeehawwww! 3 weeks AF today and feeling pretty damn good. Woke up before my 6a alarm (if you live in Maine you understand it starts getting light at 4:30a). Headed to a tennis lesson at 7:30a. Tonight, I'm going to a pop-up bar in a gorgeous former church, and then to get my 80's dance on at Bubba's. I decided I'm going to drink. Tonic! I'm splurging with calories. I've already danced sober, so I know I can do it. Hope you enjoy your day and night! And tomorrow morning. ;-)

Well Serena...or is it Venus??? How was that tennis lesson? And the pop up bar(you will to explain what this is to us)?
  • globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,517 Member
    Monday-AF
    Tues-wine 2.5 glasses
    Wed-AF
    Thurs-wine 2.5 glasses
    Fri-AF (my drink replacement today was Halo Top ice cream "candy bar" flavor (pretty decent for light ice cream)
    Sat-Blew it. Had 1 wine at lunch outting but then had 3 in the evening. That was like a total equivalent of 4 which is
    Sun-AF (Halo Mint Chocolate Chip instead!)

Good news: met weekly goal of 4 AFs!! Next week on my non-AF days, need to set a target of 1.5. 1.5 is better than 2 because once I hit 2, I go to 3. Somehow if I keep it to 1.5 (or 1 large 6oz), the gremlins in my head don't start nagging me for more :)
  • MissMay
    Monday-AF
    Tues-wine 2.5 glasses
    Wed-AF
    Thurs-wine 2.5 glasses
    Fri-AF (my drink replacement today was Halo Top ice cream "candy bar" flavor (pretty decent for light ice cream)
    Sat-Blew it. Had 1 wine at lunch outting but then had 3 in the evening. That was like a total equivalent of 4 which is
    Sun-AF (Halo Mint Chocolate Chip instead!)

Good news: met weekly goal of 4 AFs!! Next week on my non-AF days, need to set a target of 1.5. 1.5 is better than 2 because once I hit 2, I go to 3. Somehow if I keep it to 1.5 (or 1 large 6oz), the gremlins in my head don't start nagging me for more :)

Congrats on hitting your 4AF days this week. That is a really smart plan to knock your drink limit down by half a drink. Tricking the gremlim brain is a good move. ☺
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,551 Member
    I am going to continue into July with a goal of 4-5 AF days per week. It is great to be able to check in here each day. Thank you for looking after us @MissMay : - )

May - 18 AF days
    June - 16 AF days - Really had to backload that one! It was nearing the end of the month and I was only at 12 AF days. Maybe going to try to get more in at the beginning of the month this time, so if invited for wine or a cocktail party with gfs later in the month I can actually go.

July 01 - AF
    July 02 - AF - Guess that I will start my tally at the bottom : - ) I realize now that 16AF days (4 per week) in a 31 day month is like having drinks every second day!
    July 03 - AF - Today was no problem to be AF, but yesterday was a long hard day and I really felt like kicking back and having a couple of drinks - I just didn't. I even bought some of that fake beer that I have heard some of you talking about (I got Grolsch) - but it didn't occur to me to go to the fridge and have it. I am not a beer drinker, so I guess that it wouldn't have really been a substitute for a brandy or a glass of red wine : - P
    July 04 - 3 drinks
    July 05 - AF
    July 06 - 3 drinks
    July 07 - AF
    July 08 - AF - Um, I saw Kombucha being made on a TV show, sorry y'all that like it, but whoa, ick! : - P
    July 09 - AF
    July 10 - AF - I had a nice steak for dinner and wanted a glass of Merlot or Cab with it, but didn't want to open a whole bottle (partially to prevent having drinks 2 days in a row) to have a glass or two. So I remembered the fake beer that I bought, the Grolsch and thought that might be a different thing to have. Firstly, it is 150 calories for one! I don't really drink beer anyway, but a light beer has like half of the calories of that. I figured maybe I would just drink half of it to save calories. Anyway, I poured out a bit in a glass and tasted it. Oh my, it was a Radler! I didn't like it, so didn't drink it. I may buy some more fake beer, but will be more careful at looking at the label. is there fake wine? Lol, I know that there can't be fake brandy, which is what I really prefer.
    July 11 - 3 drinks
    July 12 - AF - Had a fake beer, Labbatt Blue. It was actually pretty good. 50 calories, so it didn't break the bank. Mojitos planned for tomrrow, my mint is perfect in my garden. By this time last year I had many many Mojitos. This will be the first for this summer.
    July 13 - 3 drinks - haven't had the mojitos with my own mint yet, maybe next weekend.
    July 14 - AF
    July 15 - AF
    July 16 - 3 drinks - I think that if I am going to have a few drinks a couple of days a week Tuesdays have to be included. It is my long tough day of the week, and I have so far not allowed myself to have drinks on Tuesdays even though that is the day where I really really feel like it. I must say that it was really nice to have a few. Good taste, nice relaxing feeling, great sleep. It was better than a chamomile tea. Time to rack up some ore AF days now. I feel confident that I will reach the 16-20 AF days for the month.
    July 17 - AF
    July 18 - 3 drinks - It showed on the scale this morning. My objective for drinking less is to lose weight, and this affirms it.
    July 19 - AF - I always feel like having drinks the day after having drinks, but I like not having a puffy face and belly better and I have somewhere to go tomorrow, plus I have tentative plans for Mojitos some time this weekend so needed to rack up an AF day. Also, no drinks 2 days in a row or the 3rd day is really tough to accomplish.
    July 20 - AF - Had another fake beer. Pretty good. The Labatt kind comes in a 6 pack bottles and is $7.99, which is way cheaper than real beer in Canada. I think for the real Labatt Blue it might be around $14.00, but I am not sure, I don't think that I have ever bought it. Booze is very expensive in Canada for those of you that didn't know that. I may just have another, kind of thirsty and only 50 calories ; - )
    July 21 - 4 drinks! - They were spaced out, but anything over 3 drinks and I puke usually. Of course I feel yucky today. I did not throw up, but had to lay down with bed spins. I definitely did not eat enough yesterday which contributed.

Running total: 14 AF days out of 21 days so far.
  • renpup
    renpup Posts: 15 Member
    Hi, I haven't checked in lately, but it's nice catching up on everyone's progress. July's been going pretty well, I've been sticking to my only weekend-drinking and feeling great during the week. I went to a live podcast performance last night and was tempted to have a drink or two since my friend and I got there so early, but I didn't want to pay a million bucks for sub-par beer, so it was pretty easy to abstain (she wasn't drinking, either, which helped). And I still had an amazing time at the show!

@pennyks88 the whole "breastfeeding makes you lose weight" thing is a liiiiiiiiiiiiie, ugh! I also had a terrible time keeping up my supply with my two girls if I even thought about cutting calories. The good news is you've done amazing, your child is almost one (that was my benchmark, too), and once you wean, it should be pretty easy to take off more of that baby weight. Don't forget that you're feeding your child! For a year! With your body!! That's no easy feat.
  • MissMay
    beebva4 wrote: »
    Time for a reboot from a fairly drink filled weekend. Yuck! Today and the rest of the week is AF. I was on a great streak and felt great, add in a few days back to back and saw old habits come back and feeling lazy today. So, now I've realized having 2 days back to back leads to a 3rd. I think I'll try and space my days out if/when I chose to have a drink.

But anyways, none this week to kick my butt back into the routine!

Happy Monday everyone! 😁🌻

YAY....look at you getting back up on that horse. Very impressive.
  • MissMay
    Good morning and happy (as happy as they can get) Monday! I'm locked out of my work computer, so thought I'd post here. Sounds like most everyone is doing fabulous here. You should be proud.

Had a bit of a rough time Sat night at a bbq with family (not mine) which went 4 hours. The good news is 2 of the 3 guests in town do not drink anymore. The 84 year-old said, it's too hard to keep up! and quit 40 years ago. His son recently gave it up. However, the ladies were all drinking wine and it was viewing the dewy white wine combined with hearing stories about people I didn't know that made for a LOOONG night. I watched as everyone's glass emptied and then as they made their way to the fridge to refill. My inner child said, "THAT'S NOT FAIR!" I finally excused myself at 10p to "feed the dogs." Made it through and felt spiffy the next morning.

I LOVED my tennis lesson! I've finally connected with something that's fun, healthy, and I'm not too bad at after 35 years. I didn't track anything this wknd, but did avoid alcohol and ate healthy, and got my 10,000th step on the dance floor at Bubba's on Friday. Then boating and beach--normally things I associate with alcohol, but enjoyed them for what they were.

Oh, a pop-up bar at Grace is when they open to the public for a night. Normally they only do events.

Good advice from an 84 year old. I like the way they worded it. "To hard to keep up".
    Good job keeping on track during all those Summer fun things!
  • MissMay
    July 21 - 4 drinks! - They were spaced out, but anything over 3 drinks and I puke usually. Of course I feel yucky today. I did not throw up, but had to lay down with bed spins. I definitely did not eat enough yesterday which contributed.

Running total: 14 AF days out of 21 days so far.

So glad to hear you were not vomiting after that 3rd one. Still.....not a fun way to wake up. Hope your feeling better by now 🙂
  • mainelylisa
    mainelylisa Posts: 375 Member
    MissMay wrote: »
    After an extremely HOT weekend here I feel some what as if I was suffering from a hangover, even though I had no alcohol at all. The weather took absolutely all my energy on Saturday and Sunday.

We were relaxing Saturday night and my phone rang at 9:15PM. I asnwered it and heard "Hi were in town...come on into town and meet up with us at the club".
    Oh boy I thought., should I go? This could be a weak moment that could go very badly. We did go down and I was very good drinking that swamp water non alholoic beer, (St. Pauly I think it was). Anyhow, was able to see my friends from out of town for a couple hours, see a Prince impersonator, and do a bit of dancing.

Sunday most humid day of my life here and I stuck to iced tea/ginger ale/mint mocktail.

But I hated not being able to be the productive person I have been. Slugging around with the heat felt to much like trying to recover from a drunk.

WIN~WIN

Way to be in it to win it, Miss May!!! And I hear ya about the heat. 100+ w/ heat index and 2 portable small window units here. Next time, try to enjoy your mocktails with a juicy book or at the air conditioned movie theater--you deserve a break occasionally!