40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Replies

• velezdina
    velezdina Posts: 31 Member
    Can I join the fun here? Just joined MFP back and in need of motivation. I am a 40 ex-runner trying to get back into races after a couple years hiatus. Need to loose about 10 pounds to get faster when running. I am also starting lifting weights since I enjoy it. Love to read about your workouts, makes me want to go get my tennis shoes and be more active!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,927 Member
    Wonderful, sdereski! I did a 13 km hike yesterday. And I lifted today, BOOM!

I like the photo djproulx...it looks like a fun thing to do!

Keep going, alteredsteve!

How was the ocean kayak, curiousgeorge?

gam3rguy is getting 'er done daily, that's for sure!
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    velezdina wrote: »
    Can I join the fun here? Just joined MFP back and in need of motivation. I am a 40 ex-runner trying to get back into races after a couple years hiatus. Need to loose about 10 pounds to get faster when running. I am also starting lifting weights since I enjoy it. Love to read about your workouts, makes me want to go get my tennis shoes and be more active!

Welcome, @velezdina. Several times I also have been motivated to get out and do something after reading about someone's workout on MFP! Join in the fun!

• NoWeighJose74
    NoWeighJose74 Posts: 581 Member
    I'll be 45 in September and have been on MFP with varying degrees of consistency for about 10 years now. But since January I've been on a roll with my diet and weight loss goals. My exercise of choice centers around Squat, Bench Press, and Deadlift. Occasionally, I'll tack on a short treadmill run for a laughable attempt at cardio :D Here are a few pics from a recent squat session. I've recently accumulated a decent collection of silly workout shirts.

iz03zodj5oc8.jpg

bsuababnqezj.jpg

• gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    "Body Beast Build: Back/Bis"=Done!
  • Phoenix5677
    Phoenix5677 Posts: 8 Member
    Finally back on here after a long fall off the wagon. Lol
  • ABNana2614
    ABNana2614 Posts: 44 Member
    Can I join the fun? I'm 47 and been back on MFP since November. I'm almost at my goal weight (lost 40ish pounds) but I have fitness goals unrelated to the number on the scale. I am currently out of the gym for another 4 weeks due to a minor surgical procedure, but I'm still finding lots to keep me active. Once I get back into the gym I'll get back to a more regular strength training and cardio routine.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    I think my body is in full-on "prevent weight loss" mode LOL.

Now that I'm getting settled in after my move, combined with a decision regarding my racing, my activity level is increasing significantly. Back to morning workouts, and have found a couple horses to ride 2-3x/week, and have found a 2-3x/week martial arts class I'm joining. Add in that my new home is just significantly larger (and 3 levels total), so even day to day things require more movement than they have the last decade.

My hunger cues are a bit wonky, but the scale is proving to be a not-so-gentle reminder to stick to my goals and tracking because the cues aren't accurate!

Good thing is these are things I enjoy doing and they're getting me off the darn couch (which I've gotten a little too used to spending way too much time on!).
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Hey kids, hope all is well.

It warms my heart to see so much activity. It goes to show when you are determined, it's as good as done.

AlteredSteve thanks for insight, it is appreciated. I am determining to get these squats done. I actually max out this Friday and WILL dig very deep to ensure I do better on my squats.

Lost 3.5 pounds. Was a pleasant surprise considering I am not trying to lose anymore weight.

My gym offers a infrared sauna and after these brutal workouts, I make it a point to sit in it atleast 3 days a week.

DJ, glad you are coming along. Gam3rguy, I knew you wouldn't stay down long. Hug the princess for me. Sdereski, love the photos as usual. Beeps, I listened and lifting heavier. Giorgianna, what a lovely surprise.

Hello to all newbies.

Goodnight kids.
  • alteredsteve175
    @caramelgyrlk - Here's a link to an older thread dealing with squat depth. I got some useful tips from some other MFP folks. Particularly the Alan Thrall video at the end of the thread. I have been doing those stretches with a heavy rubber exercise band as part of a warm up before squatting.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10684865/increasing-squat-depth-general-flexilibity#latest
  • gam3rguy
    "Body Beast Build: Shoulder"=Done!
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    @caramelgyrlk - LOVE the new profile picture!
    @maxipino - great job on the squats! Wowzer.
    got a nice walk in with my bff, who is up visiting and did a quick hike this morning.

Saw a big black bear as I was putting my garbage bin out this afternoon. Noticed the neighbours can across the road and sure enough, the bear was there looking at me! He's a good size one as well. We knew it was hanging around, but this is the first time I saw him up close and personal.
  • Curiousgeorgianna
    Curiousgeorgianna Posts: 187 Member
    @caramelgyrlk I also LOVE the new pic!
    @sdereski - bear sightings always feel like a good luck sign :)
    We paddled on Sunday, and saw so many marbled murrelettes. You may recall them as the tiny endangered pelagic bird that needs old growth redwoods to survive. They have nests in the moss that grows on the side branches of the enormous redwoods. When the babies fledge they jump out of the nest and fly up to 5 miles to the ocean. First flight. They're incredible, so it was pretty cool to see so many babies and parents on the water safely.
    We also came upon a swarm of sea nettles. I took a video, so not sure how to share that? They were beautiful.
    Have an excellent week everyone.
  • gam3rguy
    "Body Beast: Total Body"=Done!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    @Curiousgeorgianna . Sounds like you have some beautiful paddling spots. We love getting out in our kayaks.

Our weather has been perfect this week, so I took my first decent bike ride of the season last night. The idea was to see if I could put a load on my achilles without pain. Happy to report no soreness as we rode at a normal training pace for 2 hours.

My next question to the MD at today's visit will be: When I can resume running? :)

Stay Cool.
  • alteredsteve175
    We also came upon a swarm of sea nettles. I took a video, so not sure how to share that? They were beautiful.
    Have an excellent week everyone.

You can upload it to YouTube or Google Drive and then post the link. Someone else may know of a better or more direct method.

• HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    It's SO nice having the little fitness center in my complex - seems like such a small thing to have that there rather than having to drive a couple miles to a gym, but it lets me sleep in nearly an hour later than driving did (by the time I walked to my truck (oftentimes my truck was parked a couple blocks away from the house I lived in), got in, drove there, parked there, walked in, then repeat after the workout...).

Still sorting out the schedule to make sure I get enough sleep with the other activities I've added in, but thus far it's not too bad....being more active seems to be making the slight loss of sleep more tolerable!
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Happy Friday Kids, hope all is well. My max out is rescheduled for Sunday and I couldn't be happier. I did a HIIT session as well as bench press and block deadlifts.

AlteredSteve, thanks for the information. I actually follow Allan Thrall on YouTube. I find him to be informative as well as entertaining.

Thanks for the compliments on my new photo. I appreciate it.

Will provide photos after Sunday's torture rack is complete (lol).

Have a great weekend kids.
  • gam3rguy
    "Body Beast Build: Chest/Tris"=Done!
  • gam3rguy
    "Body Beast Build: Legs...with sandbags"=Done!