What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    8,500m in a quad this morning - race line up. Some steady state going up with some tens thrown in. After we turned around we did some race starts and then 2x 2min on/1min off and 2x 1min race pace (so on)/1min build and sprint.

We had a crappy selection of oars (and lights...) because there were so many boats that went out so I had a set of oars that were too long for me. A former US national team coach visited this past spring and as a result we have three lengths of sculling oars (four if you count the one pair that are for the two or three people who are 5ish feet tall and shorter). Or rather, the buttons are adjusted for varying heights. Needless to say, the hangnails on my right thumb suffered today :P
  • Magemisty
    Magemisty Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Just completed Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. Yay! :)
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Hour workout at lunch today. SS (steady state) work on the Indoor Rower keeping my HR below 145 and then finished off with the AirDyne Pro. My HR keeps dropping relative to speed on both. Was able to get in over 8K today on the rower before it drifted too high. Working toward a full hour on the rower (around 13K meters) while staying under 145 BPM.
  • jnomadica
    jnomadica Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    1 mile walk warmup
    One leg Romanian Deadlifts 2x5
    Pushups 3x15
    Lunges 2x12
    One arm DB row 2x8
  • sdudley08
    sdudley08 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Took a 50 minute interval training class this morning and I'm hoping to reach 9000 steps today (desk job).
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    7/30/2019 - another day of active rest which may be how my week unfolds, but I did "invest" 3 minutes while at work and self-administer the YMCA 3-minute bench step test for cardiovascular fitness.

I learned about this test earlier this year. It’s a 3-minute test using a 12-inch step, bench or box that you step up to and down from at a cadence of 96 beats per minute. I found a YouTube video of a Metronome playing for 3 minutes for my test here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJwwJgCIHBU

Here are my results today with prior results on 1/3/2019 in parenthesis:

Morning BW: 171.9 lbs. (185.8 lbs.)
    Average HR during test: 107 bpm (116 bpm)
    Maximum HR during test: 117 bpm (131 bpm)
    HR one minute after test: 88 bpm (72 bpm)
    Calories burned during test: 25 calories (26 calories)
    My estimated maximum HR: 180 bpm (180 bpm)

According to a chart that considers HR one minute after the test, today I rated good while last time I rated excellent. This is an outlier since I'm in perceived better cardiovascular conditioning than what I was at the beginning of the year. Average HR and maximum HR during the 3-minute test aligns with this self-assessment so all I can say is that's the way my HR read.

Enjoying my rest week not being hot and sweaty from a workout.

[edited by MFP mods]
  • katelynkat
    katelynkat Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Today's workout was 75 minutes of swimming. It's such an amazing work out and I dont feel gross at the end!
  • Finafoshizzle93
    Finafoshizzle93 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    50 min spin class (16 miles)
  • lg013
    lg013 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    25 min of lifting for my entire body
    10 min of ab/core exercises on the floor
    10 min warm up - 1 mile run
    60 min ride on exercise bike doing random hills at a high resistance
    9 min 4x500 row at highest resistance with 30 second rests in between-hard as possible
    8 min 2 reps x 60 seconds of burpees, side lunges, jump lunges, and mountain climbers
    Workout time: 152 minutes

I had a ton of energy today and just wanted to keep going but forced a stop Bc I want to go hard again tomorrow and run more to get my knee back. The guy next to me raced me in my rows and I beat him—but it pushed us both harder and was a lot of fun...
  • aokoye
    Options
    Workout number 2 - recovery ride on Zwift for an hour. I'm taking tomorrow and Friday off so I have one more workout before the regatta.

I ended up making a workout on Zwift that had me spend most of my time in the endurance zone power wise. I also had my phone on my handlebars (quad locks are fantastic) and ended up texting a rowing friend who is a coach, very good sculler, and very good cox about rowing. I figure that if I can engage in a text analysis of my row this morning while riding my bike (inside), then that counts as recovery.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Crazy tuesday

30min stair workout with PT (included the burpees I earnt myself monday)

45 min zumba class

5/3/1 cycle 3 weeks 2 bench plus accessories

55min interval run on treadmill

45 min insanity class

50min boxercise class
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Quick 4.8-mile hike on flat terrain by my house.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    Tuesday's workout was about 40 minutes of Barre Fit - some ballet moves for warmup, some crazy disco arm moves, some mad jumping around, a section of squats, lunges, birdcages, walking planks and pressups, and a bit of Pilates style core work to finish.

Plus, of course, the 40 minutes of walking required to get to and from the class.

Today is an Official Rest Day :)
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    lg013 wrote: »
    9 min 4x500 row at highest resistance with 30 second rests in between-hard as possible
    8 min 2 reps x 60 seconds of burpees, side lunges, jump lunges, and mountain climbers

I had a ton of energy today and just wanted to keep going but forced a stop Bc I want to go hard again tomorrow and run more to get my knee back. The guy next to me raced me in my rows and I beat him—but it pushed us both harder and was a lot of fun...

Please be careful with that. Ann might be able to chime in as well, but most, even men, should never ever use the highest Damper setting (what most know as resistance). Depending on the machine, it should not feel like you're weight lifting. Inevitably, you will injure your back. I use very low settings. It's a cardio machine, not a weight lifting machine. Also remember from physics class that Power equals force times velocity. It's about how fast your drive is as much as it is your force (from the Damper setting being higher).

Even world record holder rowers never use the highest Damper unless they are doing very short sprints, like 100 meters. And those are men that are 6 foot 4 or so and 250 lbs. I'm a decent Indoor rower (regionally competitive). I went to one Orange Theory class and broke their 500m "record" easily. Now, I use Dampers that are lighter because I have a bad back right now. This might helps explain damper more for you. It's a very common mistake among those that don't row all the time. I used to do the same thing.

Please trust me on this. My indoor rowing club, Sub7, has most of the top women not only in the US, but also the world. The one woman in my club (from Eastern Europe) rowed a 6:40 something 2K and crushed the World Record. She's around 6 foot 3 and doesn't use the top damper settings.

https://darkhorserowing.com/understanding-the-magic-of-damper-settings-and-drag-factor/
  • aokoye
    Options

Please be careful with that. Ann might be able to chime in as well, but most, even men, should never ever use the highest Damper setting (what most know as resistance). Depending on the machine, it should not feel like you're weight lifting. Inevitably, you will injure your back. I use very low settings. It's a cardio machine, not a weight lifting machine. Also remember from physics class that Power equals force times velocity. It's about how fast your drive is as much as it is your force (from the Damper setting being higher).

Even world record holder rowers never use the highest Damper unless they are doing very short sprints, like 100 meters. And those are men that are 6 foot 4 or so and 250 lbs. I'm a decent Indoor rower (regionally competitive). I went to one Orange Theory class and broke their 500m "record" easily. Now, I use Dampers that are lighter because I have a bad back right now. This might helps explain damper more for you. It's a very common mistake among those that don't row all the time. I used to do the same thing.

Please trust me on this. My indoor rowing club, Sub7, has most of the top women not only in the US, but also the world. The one woman in my club (from Eastern Europe) rowed a 6:40 something 2K and crushed the World Record. She's around 6 foot 3 and doesn't use the top damper settings.

https://darkhorserowing.com/understanding-the-magic-of-damper-settings-and-drag-factor/

@lg013 - listen to Mike on this one, I'm sure Ann will chime in as well. Putting the damper up to 10 is not something you should be doing. You're only asking for injury with it that high and I'd imagine you're probably not able to use good technique that way either. If you watch videos of any Olympic rower on an erg (rowing machine), you'll see that they won't have it above 5 or 6 and many will have it well under that.

If you haven't done so already, read through concept 2's website, but especially this page:
    https://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/training/tips-and-general-info/damper-setting-101

The only reason to have the damper set especially high is if you can't get the drag factor to a reasonable number because the machines have been exceedingly poorly maintained (the ergs at my alma mater's gym are an example of that...).
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    7/31 am

Mobility
    Bands
    Strength
    Handstand Pushup - Pavel Fighter Progression (3RM) Day 18/20
    *On a Yoga Block
    6-5-4-4-2 (21)
    Pull-ups - Fighter Pull-Up Program (12R Max) Day 18/20
    17-14-10-10-7 (58)
    Meditate
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Pull-ups - Fighter Pull-Up Program (12R Max) Day 17/20
    17-14-10-7-7 (55)

@pierinifitness the pull-ups are getting hard. Can't finish the 17 and 14 rep sets in one shot. Have to drop from the bar and take a few seconds rest and then finish. Still not sore but not feeling as strong. Could be overdoing it, but my gut tells me it's not the case. I just think I am not strong enough yet to bang out 17 or 14 in a row. I guess that's the reason I'm doing this in the first place. Good news is this is the 4th and final week. I'll do a de-load next week and then re-access my max reps and take it from there...

Yup, understand. All of these progression programs start off easy and are fun but soon reach a reality point of being difficult to complete as prescribed. I had mistakenly thought you were getting all round reps in, now I understand. For me, it would be difficult to drop for a quick breather and be able to complete the remaining reps.

When I was using a progression program for bar dips, I would repeat rather than moving on and in some cases drop back to the point in the program where I was able to complete the suggested reps without breaks. Call it a deload approach.

I have found weighted pull-ups - low rep rounds with recovery time between rounds like heavy barbell training - helped me with rep completion for the latter reps. The weighted pull-ups gave me finishing strength which was my failure point of being unable to clear the bar for a legitimate rep. Is that your failure point? Everyone's is different. I know some have shared grip failure is there's, that hasn't been mine.

I've also had pull-up growth doing a workout of 100 reps for time, any which way I can and have learned that a cadence of 3-3-2-2-1 for reps, alternating between pull-ups and chin-ups got me to 100 reps in the quickest time, as opposed to, say, 20 rounds of 5 reps. It's all good training and however you skin the volume rep cat, it's nice to read and learn of your progress. Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work.

By the way, I'm taking it easy this week and trying to enjoy the rest.

• lg013
    lg013 Posts: 215 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options

Thanks so much for this advice...I usually put the damper at my home gym at 3-4 and I always focus on speed and my form (they have a mirror to check my posturing too)...this machine was at a gym near my work and was one of the fan ones—the only reason I set it up that high was bc I was trying to adjust it to the normal drag I feel on my gym’s machine, which I can tell by how it feels and my speed. (I was doing my 500m 15-20 seconds faster than I normally do on the machine I am used to). It was nowhere near a lift feel (and I’m a weakling in my arm lifts so I’m a lot more sensitive to that...

I copy these diary entries from my own notes and I make note for the sake of attempting to be consistent as I need to go to different gyms, it helps me remember how to configure the machines a bit more. I think this machine at this gym was not working correctly or doesn’t allow an extreme drag. Should I reduce anyway?

Thanks so much for the info though. EXTREMELY helpful and thoughtful

• weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    100 jump rope 10 burpees x 10 then 1 mile walk. (My lunch workout)
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Wednesday

Didn't do as much as I usually do on a wednesday.

2mile bike ride to and from PT (so 4 miles altogether)

60min personal training session on the beach, included a lot of sprints on the sand along with some muscular endurance work. Oh and it also involved me climbing over a wall, that came up to my chest. I laughed when she said I'd be doing that but surprisingly enough I actually did do it. Also had 30 burpees, and they are hard on the sand.

60min piyo class, really needed this cos my legs were in pieces after the last couple days