Am I really committing a crime against humanity?

Replies

• missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    My favorite reply is, "No, thank you, I'm good right now," while rubbing my full belly. "Maybe later."
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited August 2019
  • sam33a
    sam33a Posts: 31 Member
    I've seen it happen to others, thankfully, nobody does it to me anymore, not for many years. I guess they know I will just say no thanks, so they don't offer me anything or comment on what I'm having. Having said that, ultimately we are responsible for whatever food we eat. You cannot blame others for forcing you to eat something 'bad' unless they are holding you down and force-feeding you.

Also, I too am an all-or-nothing type of person. I used to cut out all the 'bad food' for many months at a time, lose weight, but then always went back to it all and binged on it, regaining everything back, plus more. Now, I still have it, but in a more controlled way. I only have 1250 calories so usually, it's not a huge amount of junk food, just something sweet in the evening. Much more sustainable way of living than going cold turkey.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited August 2019
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Processed and ultra processed are not the same. Frozen spinach is processed. Whole grain bread is processed, rolled oats are processed, canned tomatoes are processed, cottage cheese is processed, smoked salmon is processed, boneless, skinless chicken breast is processed.

Ironically, the link defines ultraprocessed as microwavable and ready to eat, so would not include the oh so evil homemade pie.

But again not the topic of this thread.

While you are correct that processed and ultra processed are not the same, everyone I know IRL, along with most new posters on MFP, say "processed" when they mean "ultra processed".

If you go back, that was kind of my point. As I understood it, OP was mad that someone thought a homemade pie was not processed and offered it to her when she had told them she doesn't eat processed foods. I pointed out that people use processed in different ways, so you have to realize they might not know you consider a homemade pie processed (even though I think it obviously is). Then some other poster (not OP) commented that it was reasonable to consider a pie processed, and I said I totally agree, it obviously is, but people use the term in different ways so expecting others to know what you mean by the term is hopeless. Then the other poster--who had expressed a definition of processed that is identical to my own (and different from ultraprocessed) posted a link re specific types of ultraprocessed foods to support a claim that all processed foods are supposedly bad and unhealthy. That's when I pointed out that the link was not referring to all processed foods as the poster had defined them. So please don't suggest that I was misunderstanding the poster's usage.

I should stop responding to this tangent, but you seemed to be misunderstanding the context and assuming the other poster did not share my definition of processed. IMO, the post about the evils of processed foods was off-topic and I was trying to bring it back to the focus on it being an issue of communication.

To add to that, focusing on processed or ultraprocessed or whatnot as categories is kind of hopeless since no one agrees on what they mean and they are so varied. Easier to just to tell people what you eat and don't using other terms or, as I said before, just say "no thanks" and don't assume anyone else will remember anything.

And again, you may think it's obvious that people mean ultraprocessed when they say processed, but that clearly was not the case with the poster I was responding to, and personally I was on a "nothing processed" kick myself for a period of time before I was on MFP, and I absolutely meant processed (however impossible that is) vs. ultraprocessed and avoided things like canned beans and canned tomatoes, among other things, and basically made my life difficult. That's why I think it is important to try to understand what people mean by the term and not to assume they mean whatever you think is colloquially meant. Even with "ultraprocessed" people have quite different understandings of what that means.

But we should probably be careful not to take this off-topic, as what processed/ultraprocessed is doesn't matter. OP can not eat whatever she prefers to not eat, that's the main point.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Processed and ultra processed are not the same. Frozen spinach is processed. Whole grain bread is processed, rolled oats are processed, canned tomatoes are processed, cottage cheese is processed, smoked salmon is processed, boneless, skinless chicken breast is processed.

Ironically, the link defines ultraprocessed as microwavable and ready to eat, so would not include the oh so evil homemade pie.

But again not the topic of this thread.

While you are correct that processed and ultra processed are not the same, everyone I know IRL, along with most new posters on MFP, say "processed" when they mean "ultra processed".

If you go back, that was kind of my point. As I understood it, OP was mad that someone thought a homemade pie was not processed and offered it to her when she had told them she doesn't eat processed foods. I pointed out that people use processed in different ways, so you have to realize they might not know you consider a homemade pie processed (even though I think it obviously is). Then some other poster (not OP) commented that it was reasonable to consider a pie processed, and I said I totally agree, it obviously is, but people use the term in different ways so expecting others to know what you mean by the term is hopeless. Then the other poster--who had expressed a definition of processed that is identical to my own (and different from ultraprocessed) posted a link re specific types of ultraprocessed foods to support a claim that all processed foods are supposedly bad and unhealthy. That's when I pointed out that the link was not referring to all processed foods as the poster had defined them. So please don't suggest that I was misunderstanding the poster's usage.

I should stop responding to this tangent, but you seemed to be misunderstanding the context and assuming the other poster did not share my definition of processed. IMO, the post about the evils of processed foods was off-topic and I was trying to bring it back to the focus on it being an issue of communication.

To add to that, focusing on processed or ultraprocessed or whatnot as categories is kind of hopeless since no one agrees on what they mean and they are so varied. Easier to just to tell people what you eat and don't using other terms or, as I said before, just say "no thanks" and don't assume anyone else will remember anything.

And again, you may think it's obvious that people mean ultraprocessed when they say processed, but that clearly was not the case with the poster I was responding to, and personally I was on a "nothing processed" kick myself for a period of time before I was on MFP, and I absolutely meant processed (however impossible that is) vs. ultraprocessed and avoided things like canned beans and canned tomatoes, among other things, and basically made my life difficult. That's why I think it is important to try to understand what people mean by the term and not to assume they mean whatever you think is colloquially meant. Even with "ultraprocessed" people have quite different understandings of what that means.

But we should probably be careful not to take this off-topic, as what processed/ultraprocessed is doesn't matter. OP can not eat whatever she prefers to not eat, that's the main point.

The OP clarified on page 3 "The pie I was referring to was shop bought, it was not homemade" :)