Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Body Positive Movement - For or against?

Replies

• magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    I watched Fat Topia on Amazon Video recently - it felt like some of the people that are most vocal in the fat acceptance movement damage the brand far more than any critic.
    I generally favor body positivity and I know there's evidence shaming does more harm than good, so isn't exactly that anyone opposed to it can claim they're really helping people with their overweight conditions if their opposition is shaming. Still, I found the attitudes and the claims made by some of the fat acceptance movement people on their moving me against support for it.
    It feels the people that are being honest about the health aspects and just want to feel less judged for something they're struggling need to take a bigger stake of the voice in it.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    How do you feel about the body positive movement? I haven't given it much thought but recently stumbled onto a few forums on a bodybuilding website where the overall theme was extremely against this movement. One commenter went as far as to say people for the movement are looking to destroy our country (USA) by promoting unhealthy eating habits and laziness.

What does this movement mean to you? Do you agree or disagree with it?

People take this the wrong way, it's about loving yourself and not putting up with bullies, it's not promoting anything but being okay with who you are (no matter if you're 100lbs or 300lbs - people seem to forget this). To think someone shouldn't feel comfortable and happy with themselves no matter what their weight is *kitten* up and you're *kitten* up to think such a thing. I'm 100% for it, love yourself, love everyday as it's a blessing and ignore the online bullies who think they're better then everyone.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Never mind that the body positive movement isn't just about fat acceptance. Think it does is taking a really myopic view of it.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    I'm all for body positively, nobody should be ridiculed or made to feel ugly, I think it does far more harm than good. How many threads have been made by someone wanting to exercise but being ashamed to because of people judging their weight?

This seems contradictory but maybe I'm misunderstanding you. First you say that you're pro body positivity, then that it does more harm than good, then mention (or at least imply) that there have been a number of threads about people being ashamed to workout because they fear that people will judge their weight.