Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Body Positive Movement - For or against?

123457»

Replies

• Theoldguy1Theoldguy1 Posts: 390Member Member Posts: 390Member Member
    Just got on to my Health Savings Account website login page. The models were a morbidly obese couple. I'm all for being body positive but questioning that web design given the nature of the site.
    edited August 23
  • tbright1965tbright1965 Posts: 802Member, Premium Member Posts: 802Member, Premium Member
    Which means it doesn't take a huge deficit to lose weight, as the math and chemistry works in both directions. A few hundred fewer calories in, a few hundred more calories used by moving more and pretty soon the excess weight comes off.

I think most critics here are not critical of those who are being honest about where they are. What's wrong with saying, "I'm fat, but I don't have to stay this way?" That's a positive and realistic statement. I may have posted it here or in another thread where there was the UK actress who claimed she'd tried every diet and must have a slow metabolism. When her claims were checked scientifically she was grossly underestimating her calorie consumption. (They used doubly labeled water as part of the test.)

Heck, even if you eat fast food, you can make some decent substitutions and cut the calories in a meal.

Compare two meals at McDonalds, no drink A Quarter Pounder with Cheese (I think some places in the world call this a Royal or similar name) and a medium fries is 850 calories, 87.7g of carbs, 12.4g of fat and 33 g of protein.

Replace the burger with an artisan grilled chicken sandwich and replace the fries with 2 packs of apple slices and your meal becomes 410 calories, 52g of carbs, 6g of fat and 36g of protein.

Half the calories and just as filling.

But we all know the person eating the first meal and then telling us he or she cannot possibly lose weight.

I don't think anyone is against body positive as long as it's not delusional. It seems to me, what people are against is the delusional position some take in the name of being body positive.

How do you know if it's an excuse or a personal choice? And why the stereotyping? It doesn't take a huge surplus to become overweight, so the difference between someone who is overweight and someone who isn't could literally be no more than an extra apple or a few less active minutes a day.

• amusedmonkeyamusedmonkey Posts: 9,585Member Member Posts: 9,585Member Member
    Which means it doesn't take a huge deficit to lose weight, as the math and chemistry works in both directions. A few hundred fewer calories in, a few hundred more calories used by moving more and pretty soon the excess weight comes off.

What's wrong with saying, "I'm fat, but I don't have to stay this way?"

Absolutely nothing is wrong with that and weight loss is possible in most cases. There is nothing wrong with "I'm fat and staying fat is a good choice for me", either. Ignoring that body positivity, as a concept, is weight blind, there is absolutely no reason to assume things about people just because they look a certain way and like it, especially if it's meant as a derogatory statement. Although there is the odd case that fits that description, weight issues are usually more complex than a simple "I want to be a lazy slob who lives on the couch and eats all day".