Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Body Positive Movement - For or against?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    ftr, an internet connection, and something to receive it, is a privilege

Libraries do provide these. Around here it's common for poorer people to use the library for that purpose.

I'm sure there are places where libraries are less accessible, however (I just think noting that this is one of the great services libraries provide is worthwhile).

Though I can't imagine that people are working out to videos on Youtube at the library.

Totally agree. I was thinking more about many other possible helpful uses.

I am now imagining people working out at the library.

As an aside, if working out to YouTube videos was my only way to exercise, I wouldn't, as I can't think of much I would hate more. For easy and free activity, I can walk a bunch, and run outside, however. There are definitely places where that would be more difficult, and I am also aware of that, as well as other possible stumbling blocks.

There are many reasons why losing weight can be very difficult for a particular person at a particular time (and I think it's broader than simply class issues, although class issues can certainly play a role).
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »

Libraries do provide these. Around here it's common for poorer people to use the library for that purpose.

I'm sure there are places where libraries are less accessible, however (I just think noting that this is one of the great services libraries provide is worthwhile).

Though I can't imagine that people are working out to videos on Youtube at the library.

Totally agree. I was thinking more about many other possible helpful uses.

I am now imagining people working out at the library.

As an aside, if working out to YouTube videos was my only way to exercise, I wouldn't, as I can't think of much I would hate more. For easy and free activity, I can walk a bunch, and run outside, however. There are definitely places where that would be more difficult, and I am also aware of that, as well as other possible stumbling blocks.

There are many reasons why losing weight can be very difficult for a particular person at a particular time (and I think it's broader than simply class issues, although class issues can certainly play a role).
    Yeah - as "easy" and "inexpensive" as it can be to exercise, I think easy leaves out a lot of people and a lot of situations. There's an article that I'll PM you from Runners World that touches on this in a really interesting way.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    PWHF wrote: »

Watching what you eat and working out is not a privilege,

they are a privilege. sometimes, you have little choice in what you eat. availability, finances, budget, non1st world problems. sometimes, you work 2-3 jobs, have kids or family obligations, long commutes.
    when you are struggling to get by or survive, all of it becomes much more fuzzy.

Choosing to not overeat and become obese is not a privilege. being able to afford a gym could be seen as a privilege but anyone with an internet connection can get on Youtube and learn how to get and stay in shape without any equipment.

Becoming overweight is is the result of having too much food - now that's privilege.

Self medicating with fatty and sugary foods due to an unprivileged life situation is a different animal.

Having an Internet connection and a device on which you can view YouTube videos is a privilege.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options

Libraries are great. Libraries also frequently have limited hours. The times people who work "day jobs" have free are the same times that libraries are closed. Also, I'm guessing that most libraries are going to at least ponder whether they really want people working out in the space next to the computer station to YouTube cardio and bodyweight videos.
  • PWHF
    PWHF Posts: 221 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options

Watching what you eat and working out is not a privilege,

they are a privilege. sometimes, you have little choice in what you eat. availability, finances, budget, non1st world problems. sometimes, you work 2-3 jobs, have kids or family obligations, long commutes.
    when you are struggling to get by or survive, all of it becomes much more fuzzy.

Choosing to not overeat and become obese is not a privilege. being able to afford a gym could be seen as a privilege but anyone with an internet connection can get on Youtube and learn how to get and stay in shape without any equipment.

Becoming overweight is is the result of having too much food - now that's privilege.

Self medicating with fatty and sugary foods due to an unprivileged life situation is a different animal.

I think anyone with an internet connection can get online and look up the term food dessert. When you live somewhere where you don't have a car and the places selling food don't have reliable produce, eating in a satisfying way is a privilege. That this is news to you is a sign of your privilege.

Which I check regularly and enjoy every day. How do you define 'eating in a satisfying way'? Not having access to healthy food and overeating are not the same thing.
  • PWHF
    Options
    ssurvivor wrote: »
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    100% against. It's pro-obesity insanity.

Actually, in my experience as a morbidly obese person, it was mostly about giving yourself permission to not feel bad about yourself all the gddam time. And also to be offended at people making rude and personal comments.

And believe me, that freedom was such a relief.

I'm glad your take on it was helpful to you. Everyone should love themselves and take good care of themselves. That's not what the "body positivity" movement is about.

The question was for or against. I'm against.

The body positivity movement is about learning to think "I am not my body. I am still me whether I am fat/thin, short/tall,..." What a person does once they accept themselves is beyond the scope of the movement.

This I can get on board with
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

There are a bunch of terms in common parlance that seem to bring out symbol-reactive behavior, and feed polarization. I wish there were ways we could be trying to understand the pictures in each other’s heads, rather than reacting to specific words we use to try to communicate them.

^^^This. Communication can be difficult as it is. When terms commonly used by several different people are defined by those people in several different ways communication can stagnate and a war of words breaks out. In my tiny corner of the world experience in the form of walking in the others shoes will always carry more weight than academically learned definitions. An example would be the short account of two young children answering a quiz question that I read about decades ago. 1 child was from a poor family, the other from a wealthy family.

Question: "What do you place your tea cup on when you put it down?"

A saucer or the table?

The poor child said table, the wealthy said saucer. Both are right per their 'learned' experience.

"Privilege" can be used with positive or negative connotations. It would be nice if that, and other "hot" terms were used as originally intended instead of insults. Having a privilege is not a bad thing.

• Phirrgus
    Options
    Phirrgus wrote: »

There are a bunch of terms in common parlance that seem to bring out symbol-reactive behavior, and feed polarization. I wish there were ways we could be trying to understand the pictures in each other’s heads, rather than reacting to specific words we use to try to communicate them.

^^^This. Communication can be difficult as it is. When terms commonly used by several different people are defined by those people in several different ways communication can stagnate and a war of words breaks out. In my tiny corner of the world experience in the form of walking in the others shoes will always carry more weight than academically learned definitions. An example would be the short account of two young children answering a quiz question that I read about decades ago. 1 child was from a poor family, the other from a wealthy family.

A saucer or the table?

The poor child said table, the wealthy said saucer. Both are right per their 'learned' experience.

"Privilege" can be used with positive or negative connotations. It would be nice if that, and other "hot" terms were used as originally intended instead of insults. Having a privilege is not a bad thing.

100% agree. Also on the polarization thing. I've noticed in myself that I find arguing on the Internet very stimulating and it must be releasing some kind of chemical rush in my brain. I know it's not good for me so I'm going to mindfully and consciously stop doing it. :smiley:

:D I keep finding myself coming back for more lol. I don't reply often, but do acknowledge I might have a problem :p
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options

Libraries are great. Libraries also frequently have limited hours. The times people who work "day jobs" have free are the same times that libraries are closed. Also, I'm guessing that most libraries are going to at least ponder whether they really want people working out in the space next to the computer station to YouTube cardio and bodyweight videos.

Pretty sure we've already clarified that I was not suggesting that people go to the library to workout.
  • PWHF
    Options

A saucer or the table?

100% agree. Also on the polarization thing. I've noticed in myself that I find arguing on the Internet very stimulating and it must be releasing some kind of chemical rush in my brain. I know it's not good for me so I'm going to mindfully and consciously stop doing it. :smiley:

:D I keep finding myself coming back for more lol. I don't reply often, but do acknowledge I might have a problem :p

Same here - just another bad habit that needs kicking into touch. My life just seems to be a succession of things I have to stop doing... At least i can enjoy my privilege (for now!)
  • Phirrgus
    Options

A saucer or the table?

Same here - just another bad habit that needs kicking into touch. My life just seems to be a succession of things I have to stop doing... At least i can enjoy my privilege (for now!)

Choice is a wonderful thing :)
  • Phirrgus
    Options
    one of my running friends is from a village in nigeria. he has an internet connection but not everyone there does. his food choices are dependent upon what is available.
    he has a garmin but has been mugged more than once and one time they stole his garmin. the online running group opened a gofundme and bought him a new one. but again, not everyone in his village has that opportunity.
    he has less privileges than i do but has more than some in his village.
    after typing this, i'm not sure what my point was other than showing privilege is also a matter of perspective
    I've had the unenviable experience of chatting with people who would push back heavily against that notion. I personally agree with it.
  • Phirrgus
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Having a privilege is not a bad thing.

Being privileged is not a bad thing. Being privileged and not acknowledging it while assuming that everyone else is just lazy or stupid if they can't achieve what you do IS a bad thing (IMHO, of course). :wink:
    I have another word for that :p Overall I agree with this, but these days some people also project their views on "being privileged" onto some people who do not make those assumptions. I don't like that old "both sides do it" argument, but there's a grain of truth to that here.
    I think the distinction in terms is where a lot of the back and forth in this thread has come from. Fat acceptance, the body positivity movement, privilege, shaming, bullying, it seems to me like different people are defining these loaded words differently and in some instances are arguing what the loaded terms mean to them, instead of what folks are actually saying. Tied into what @AnnPT77 posted as well, "symbol-reactive". I have this problem when arguing with some family members - they ascribe to a particular world view and it's spokespeople and when I talk, they filter every word through what they've been told I must believe rather than what I am actually saying. It does make communication... complicated. :blush:
    I completely agree. Granted, we all filter what's said to us through our own various experiences, but I do believe the art of actually hearing what another person is really saying...that's a dying art.

One rule I regularly like to fall back on is the golden rule. Do to others as you would have them do to you. It's pretty hard to go wrong that way, unless someone wants to double down and attempt to really push their views/labels/definitions.