Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Body Positive Movement - For or against?

1235»

Replies

• kimemekikimemeki Posts: 11Member Member Posts: 11Member Member
    As a health coach, I have been able to see how being "Body Positive" can be very beneficial to taking better care of yourself. You have to be grateful for what you have before you can move on in a lot of circumstances. The stress of beating yourself up about your weight can be as detrimental to your goals of gaining or losing weight as your food and exercise. I do not agree with being "Body Positive" while choosing to also be unhealthy when there are things you can do to change your health. As a small person that others have always viewed as healthy, I know first hand that what you see on the outside is not in direct correlation to what is going on inside.
  • ISmellDairyQueenISmellDairyQueen Posts: 1Member Member Posts: 1Member Member
    Yes--fat acceptance is a good thing. The people who are able to achieve total fat acceptance in their minds are my heros. The vast majority of people who attempt to lose weight end up gaining it back, so to feel good in your own body no matter what your size is important. Your body does everything for you, so why not love it as-is? Fat people get so much hate and it has nothing to do with the moving target called "health".

Why am I here, then? Because people are judgemental (lol, look at the comments in this thread alone). I'm losing so that I can one day avoid negative judgment from fatphobic people (and, whew! There are *a lot* and not all of them are thin). I love fat people--we are awesome and we do what we can to survive in a hostile world. If I could live somewhere without all the hate and negativity regarding body size, I would be content to stay fat. I'm choosing to lose so I have one less target on my back--and because it's the only thing I can change about me so that people can see *me* and not the body. In all likelihood I'll gain back whatever I lose, but for now I'm trying again. This will probably be the last time I do this. If I "fail", so what? No matter what happens I'll come out of this stronger than I am now.
    edited August 1
  • rednote49rednote49 Posts: 103Member Member Posts: 103Member Member
    I am all for the body positive movement. I think some people are always caught in a cycle of self hatred no matter the number on the scale and believe everyone else should be too. So a happy, self positive fat person shouldn't exist in their reality. Because let's face it the whole push back for the movement is not some overwhelming concern for the health of complete strangers. It is the ability to be happy and content with who you are whether or not you decide to make changes. But no the ire is fat people with or without health issues should not be happier than skin, athletic people.
  • unstableunicornunstableunicorn Posts: 31Member Member Posts: 31Member Member
    Based solely on my own experience with the movement, I believe it is more harmful than good. I’m sure it was started with good intentions, but it’s very rare that the movement (again, this is just in my experience) promotes sensible information or ideas. It’s basically society finding a new way to ignore health and obsess over appearance.

That said, there’s no need to be a dick to someone simply because you think they’re too big or small. Odds are they already know they have a problem, and treating them like crap isn’t going to change that (and who are we kidding? We all have our flaws.)
  • HarebelleHarebelle Posts: 24Member Member Posts: 24Member Member
    Is the anorexic healthy and 'not costing the health system'? No.
    Is the person recovering from bowel cancer healthy and 'not costing the health system'? No.
    Is the person with profound depression following bereavement healthy and 'not costing the health system'? No.

We have to stop seeing 'thin' as 'good', 'fat' as 'bad'. Humanity is so much more nuanced than we generally understand unless we've accumulated significant life experience.